Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The starting salary should be higher. It is so low that people going straight from uni into teaching can's afford their own place, and a teacher still living with his parents is awful. It also means that anyone going from something else into teaching will take a massive pay cut.

So yeah, in order to attract more suitable teachers, the starting salary should be higher.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    The starting salary should be higher. It is so low that people going straight from uni into teaching can's afford their own place, and a teacher still living with his parents is awful. It also means that anyone going from something else into teaching will take a massive pay cut.

So yeah, in order to attract more suitable teachers, the starting salary should be higher.
    What are you talking about?

Teachers earn 20-25k in their first year of teaching. The average full-time employee (of any job, regardless of experience) in the UK earns 25k.

If teachers can't afford to live away from their parents, how the hell do you think everyone else in the country manages? How do their parents manage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    What are you talking about?

Teachers earn 20-25k in their first year of teaching. The average full-time employee (of any job, regardless of experience) in the UK earns 25k.

If teachers can't afford to live away from their parents, how the hell do you think everyone else in the country manages? How do their parents manage?
    This is a very good point, I moved out in my first year of employment and as an apprentice was earning between £12.5k and £18k - and although it was very tight, managed for the first 2 yrs. So starting salary teachers could move out - its just harder than staying at home hehe. They probably couldnt afford to move out and buy a place, but private rent, certainly.

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually think it's that bad. The starting salary for inner London in £24,000, which is comparable to the civil service fast stream and other government grad schemes and higher than most people's starting salary in the private sector. I think that more experienced teachers should, perhaps, get more.

ReputationRep:
    Having read all the replies, i think its ok.
    I plan to start my teaching degree nx sept, and whilst i'd like more I realize it could be worse.
    My OH was a paratrooper for 10 yrs and his take home pay was less than £800pm. (that inc special forces pay).
    Once we were married,pay was increased if we were seperated for a considerable amount of time. i.e. 6 month postings. His take home NEVER exceeded £1000pm.
    Now he has a job that doesn't involve risking his life and earns over £40k and in previous years has earnt 3 times that.
    If i could increase anyones pay it would be our forces, as believe me its a tough job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_world)
    I don't actually think it's that bad. The starting salary for inner London in £24,000, which is comparable to the civil service fast stream and other government grad schemes and higher than most people's starting salary in the private sector. I think that more experienced teachers should, perhaps, get more.

It's actually £26,000 from September 2009 which I think is a decent starting salary.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.