Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    My take is that some people feel resentful because of a lack of empathy and of a "why should I give my hard-earned cash to some stranger who's ended up up-the-duff to have someone elses sprog?" sort of attitude.

Part of it is down to the individual's disposition towards other people in general
    Part of it is down to the society that the individual has grown up in
    Part of it is down to the fragmentation of said societies by largescale people-movement across the world in recent years - whether it's migrants moving here for work (and away from their families) or people here retiring away to the Costas - again away from their families.

If you were friends with/related to a number of pregnant women, would your attitudes be the same?
    You've missed an important one:

Part of is is because the single/childless (irrespective of gender) end up picking up the slack and in some companies are expected to take all the antisocial shifts/work late/change their arrangements to accommodate the pregnant woman/the mum whose child has conveniently fallen ill on the Friday of a bank holiday. The (hopefully) minority who take the mick, destroy good will for the majority.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8157755.stm :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Does the foetus gain the immunity as well? If so it's cheaper to vaccinate pregnant women then to wait until you have to do the women and the baby separately.

Also pregnant women have a lower immune system anyway because the body lowers it to lessen the chances the foetus will wrongly be identified as a foreign bunch of cells and attacked(which is a common cause of miscarriage very early on, so early you wouldn't realise you were pregnant anyway.)

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: Don't fall for the troll dudes. All you have to do is look at the way he says things and know he gets off on getting reactions out of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    We should shove a foetus up your rectum and see how you feel.
    The rectum has nothing to do with the vagina and uterus. It's parallel and part of the intestine. No attack intended, just making sure people don't get it wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    The rectum has nothing to do with the vagina and uterus. It's parallel and part of the intestine. No attack intended, just making sure people don't get it wrong
    I think I know where the babies come from I just needed some other available hole in the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander Tomaszewski)
    No more than anyone else
    They are effectively two people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle_S-C)
    They are effectively two people...
    Exactly, surely they get priority because the mother's life is worth two.

ReputationRep:
    Pregnant women should have concessions made for them for the welfare of the baby, not for them personally. When you're talking about a pregnant woman, you're talking about two people, because if something adversely affects her, it adversely affects the child too.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    The OP is a troll, quite clearly.

Everybody knows that under 5s, over 65s, and pregnant women have lower immune systems than ordinary people, and therefore should have priority when having vaccinations.

And besides, it's not like they're handing out the vaccine willy nilly to pregnant women if they haven't got the swine flu.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.