Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Girls: your view on squaddies watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    for instance say we got talking and i told you i was in the army would you automatically think.."yeah you just want to get smashed and then your going to start a fight" just curious as a few of my mates have said being in the army has destroyed what was a flowing conversation, cheers guys

ReputationRep:
    If you feel it has this effect then don't mention it.

ReputationRep:
    Hot. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    To be brutally honest, yes it would put me off. But do you really want to hang out with girls who feel badly about your occupation anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Hot. :yep:
    I agree with this view.
    No, it wouldnt make me feel any negative views or assumptions.

ReputationRep:
    Where I come from the squaddies all have STDs. I have respect, but I wouldn't be interested. If a guy says it as though he thinks I should be impressed and clearly uses it as a way to get laid (as they often do where I'm from) then I'll drift away pretty quickly. But in general I do see a lot of drunken fighting involving the squaddies so it's not an entirely unfair stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't be with anyone who was in the army personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    But you would happily be with someone from the royal navy/air force? :gasp:

Thats a bit unfair.

ReputationRep:
    Ditto, I'm anti-military so I would find it very difficult to be with someone in the army.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by René Artois)
    But you would happily be with someone from the royal navy/air force? :gasp:

Thats a bit unfair.
    Haha. :p:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Haha. :p:
    No.
    Can I ask why not? :moon:

ReputationRep:
    the uniform just... mmmmm :coma:

plus i like my man to actually be a man, so army guys just sorta tick the box

on my 18th i'm off to a club near an army base...

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it would kind of put me off. I'm a little bit anti-military, so we wouldn't have that in common.

But there's conflicting opinions in all relationships, so it's not a definite no.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask why not? :moon:
    I'm very anti-military/anti-war. Anyone who enlists in the military is (at whatever level) taking on a job in which they may be involved in the deaths of others - something I personally don't have respect for.
    I couldn't be with anyone who could be knowingly involved in that.
    It's the one thing that would make me say no to a relationship instantly.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't bother me at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm very anti-military/anti-war. Anyone who enlists in the military is (at whatever level) taking on a job in which they may be involved in the deaths of others - something I personally don't have respect for.
    Couldnt you flip it around easily and say that they could very well end up defending you, your nation and your nations interests?

ReputationRep:
    this is what i think exactly.
    but the uniforms...:coma:

ReputationRep:
    Couldnt you flip it around easily and say that they could very well end up defending you, your nation and your nations interests?
    This is one argument you won't win. Patriotism is pretty much dead in this country I'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloud Shine)
    This is one argument you won't win. Patriotism is pretty much dead in this country I'm afraid
    Unfortunately, I hate on this site how most people think those who sign up for the armed forces are only doing it to kill people

ReputationRep:
    Off topic i know but do you have respect for those who fought in WW2?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.