Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by René Artois)
    Couldnt you flip it around easily and say that they could very well end up defending you, your nation and your nations interests?
    As unavoidable as it is that they are, and perhaps as stupid as it is of me to hold this opinion, I'd prefer people not to kill others to defend me. I'd rather die than know that others are dying for me to survive.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, I hate on this site how most people think those who sign up for the armed forces are only doing it to kill people
    But the fact is that they know when they enlist that they may have to kill people. The job doesn't only involve that, I know, but it can, and people are aware of that when they enlist.

ReputationRep:
    i live in a army town so i get on with them fine some of them are hot too :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    As unavoidable as it is that they are, and perhaps as stupid as it is of me to hold this opinion, I'd prefer people not to kill others to defend me. I'd rather die than know that others are dying for me to survive.
    No, I respect that opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    But the fact is that they know when they enlist that they may have to kill people. The job doesn't only involve that, I know, but it can, and people are aware of that when they enlist.
    Yes but that killing people could be to save your arse. Im sure youd be in favour of it then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArmyApparently)
    Off topic i know but do you have respect for those who fought in WW2?
    No, I don't.
    I'm not saying I don't understand the circumstances, but I personally have no respect for them.

Unfortunately, I hate on this site how most people think those who sign up for the armed forces are only doing it to kill people
    I hope it doesn't come across as though I believe that. I don't think people enlist in the army just to be legal murderers, but everyone who does enlist accepts that they may have to kill, or be involved in killing indirectly. That's what loses my respect. Like I say, I know many people (most) enlist with the best intentions, but it's something I can't accept.

ReputationRep:
    I luv army guys, find it quite sexy if a guy is in the army

ReputationRep:
    I am not trying to provoke or challenge you, but I will just say that it is very easy to say this when you live in a secure country and have not really had to encounter death. I hear a lot of people say similar things and always wonder if the sentiment would hold true in reality.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't.
    I'm not saying I don't understand the circumstances, but I personally have no respect for them.
    Not even the ones who were forced to fight?

ReputationRep:
    Yes but that killing people could be to save your arse. Im sure youd be in favour of it then.
    Not particularly, not in most cases anyway. There are exceptions, but I can't see how innocent civilians dying in Iraq is saving my arse in any way.

And it is usually the innocent who die, on both sides, not the people who are responsible for the conflict.

ReputationRep:
    I think some girls (not me) are under the impression that army guys don't see girls that often and just go out and get laid a lot, which puts them off.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really care tbh.

ReputationRep:
    It really seems like I would have nothing in common with them, so maybe it would stop a conversation. I wouldn't think they were likely to start a fight though.

I most likely wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone in the army.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloud Shine)
    I am not trying to provoke or challenge you, but I will just say that it is very easy to say this when you live in a secure country and have not really had to encounter death. I hear a lot of people say similar things and always wonder if the sentiment would hold true in reality.
    I understand that. I know other people would doubt, but I'm the type of person who holds very strong beliefs, and personally I know that they would still hold true were I to be more endangered.
    Like I say, though, I can see why it might seem as though I'm saying it only from a 'secure' place - the same criticism has been made of me for stating that I'd never have an abortion! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't bother me. I've hooked up/dated several army guys before.

ReputationRep:
    Not even the ones who were forced to fight?
    I'm of the opinion that nobody is truly forced. I know my expectations in this case are ridiculous, but in a case of 'kill or be killed', I'd respect only those who take the latter option.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't.
    Im not having a go, but i dont understand how you cant respect men who enlisted in the army to stop the mass genocide and suffering of people that they had never met.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, what a surprise, I got negged for my views.

Some people should grow up and realise that people aren't always going to agree with them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm of the opinion that nobody is truly forced. I know my expectations in this case are ridiculous, but in a case of 'kill or be killed', I'd respect only those who take the latter option.
    Woah, well at least youre honest and dont beat around the bush

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Oh, what a surprise, I got negged for my views.

Some people should grow up and realise that people aren't always going to agree with them.
    The whole point of the reputation system is to pos/neg posts which you dont agree with. If you dont like the system then dont use TSR.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.