Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I understand that. I know other people would doubt, but I'm the type of person who holds very strong beliefs, and personally I know that they would still hold true were I to be more endangered.
    Like I say, though, I can see why it might seem as though I'm saying it only from a 'secure' place - the same criticism has been made of me for stating that I'd never have an abortion! :p:
    Fair enough. It's no bad thing to be principled, but judging others when you haven't been in that position is very dangerous and usually very foolish. In my opinion, though I may not agree with the war, or death in general, I always support our troops and feel as though people who don't disgrace our country.

ReputationRep:
    Recently more than ever I have a lot of respect for people in the army, it's something i could never do =) The uniform is yummy as well

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't.
    I'm not saying I don't understand the circumstances, but I personally have no respect for them.

I hope it doesn't come across as though I believe that. I don't think people enlist in the army just to be legal murderers, but everyone who does enlist accepts that they may have to kill, or be involved in killing indirectly. That's what loses my respect. Like I say, I know many people (most) enlist with the best intentions, but it's something I can't accept.
    so are you saying that if there was a choice on 9/11 you could either kill one terrorist of thousands of people die, you would let him go kill loads of people?
    or if you could kill hitler before the holocaust?
    ok day to day army life isnt that important but i stand by my question

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, this is all way off topic. Answer to OP original question: it's a mixed bag. If you like the girl it's safer not to bring it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    so are you saying that if there was a choice on 9/11 you could either kill one terrorist of thousands of people die, you would let him go kill loads of people?
    ok day to day army life isnt that important but i stand by my question
    If it were me personally, I'd not be involved at all.
    I'm not saying my view is right, or that it isn't ridiculous, but I personally couldn't be involved in the killing at all. Selfish, perhaps, as that means that many others may die for my belief.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't put me off that person at all, though it would certainly make me think twice about a proper relationship with them, as I would imagine they would most likely be away a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be fine with dating someone in the army but I'd think twice before marrying them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why people would think bad of it. Squaddies are hardly unique in 'going out on the town and getting smashed'. Students, lorry drivers, city traders, all do the same. The difference is that the squaddies can't pull a sickie the next day and have a lie in.

If you go out with a soldier then you know that he's going to be fit, disciplined, tidy, not afraid of hard work and making sacrifices. If he was a drunken loser he'd have been weeded out.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't be with anyone who was in the army personally.
    Agreed. Just too many lifestyle differences. I could however be great friends with them, but not anything close which would involve me sharing their lifestyle. Nothing bad about it, but sometimes things aren't compatible.

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of respect for those in the army and it wouldn't put me off the person at all. But it also depends on their behaviour when im with them. there are plenty who are genuine.

ReputationRep:
    When you join a state army you're the first line of defence for a structure I view as immoral (i.e. the state), and all the talk about defending your nation and your freedoms is mostly bluster, because the army is there to enforce the interests of the state, whatever they are, and however tenuous their relation to morality (or indeed, nationhood; I don't see any reason why some sense of "ethnocultural" or whatever the word is identity need be inextricably linked to a state entity; it seems to me the notion of nationalism does more for the state than the state does for the notion of nationalism). I don't view waging war as immoral in any and all circumstances, and the fact that soldiers kill people isn't the main reason why I have a problem with it. There are plenty of circumstances in which it is entirely permissible to kill people, but the army, based as it is on command and hierarchy, and being a weapon of the state, can't really get my full support. Whenever a member of the armed forces is court-martialled after refusing to follow orders on moral grounds, that basically sums up my objection.

Anyway, I don't know if I'd like to go out with a soldier. It depends on what he's like as an individual tbh. It's perfectly plausible that there is some consistent way of justifying participation in a state military and whatever armed conflicts that may come with it in a way that doesn't make your world view fundamentally stunted or evil. In any case, I wouldn't rule it out. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    I'm of the opinion that nobody is truly forced. I know my expectations in this case are ridiculous, but in a case of 'kill or be killed', I'd respect only those who take the latter option.
    I used to think like that. But I think it's permissible to kill someone who's trying to kill you (if it's the only feasible way of stopping them). If someone is telling you to kill someone else on pain of death, the correct option would be to kill them (the person telling), or else allow yourself to die.

(Original post by 1721)
    How long before the Holocaust? Probably wouldn't help that much tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Back to the OP, someone telling me they were a squaddie wouldn't matter to me if I really liked them. I can understand how some girls might not want to get too close to a soldier but I think it depends on how much they like the person tbh. If girls are going cold then they probably weren't that into you in the first place so that's something

ReputationRep:
    I have a certain amount of respect for people in the military, but I wouldn't date a guy in the army. Too much time apart and I'd have to really, really trust him; having said that, if my boyfriend enlisted, I'd definitely stay with him regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArmyApparently)
    for instance say we got talking and i told you i was in the army would you automatically think.."yeah you just want to get smashed and then your going to start a fight" just curious as a few of my mates have said being in the army has destroyed what was a flowing conversation, cheers guys
    Me and my friends love army guys!

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be a problem for me. I have a lot of respect for soldiers. Not sure I could ever do it, because I would hate having to take part in a war I might not agree with. The fact that they're away so much would put me off getting into a relationship though.

ReputationRep:
    As unavoidable as it is that they are, and perhaps as stupid as it is of me to hold this opinion, I'd prefer people not to kill others to defend me. I'd rather die than know that others are dying for me to survive.
    yeah whatever :rofl:

self righteous, dishonest person. that was an outright lie to try and make yourself look superior.

ReputationRep:
    It infuriates me how many people are anti-military in this country...why? Well it demonstrates the level of ignorance of a generation brought up on inane sentiments. Sometimes, killing other human beings for the greater good is an unpleasant necessity. Do these cretins think that we should have allowed Hitler a free hand to enslave all of Europe?

In my opinion, the military do a hard job and deserve our respect. It maybe unfashionable but I'm a patriot. I'm proud of the British men and women who despite being embroiled in conflicts I politically disagree with are incredibly brave and professional. We need the Armed Forces and I'd like to say I'm grateful ours is the best in the world.

As for squaddies. I have been in a long-term relationship with one and I would say that the boys club atmosphere and the testosterone do not make for a great relationship. The fighting and promiscuity come with the territory. I know there are the exceptions but alpha males in predominantly male environments don't make for great boyfriends until they have mellowed out. Basically, a squaddie at 30 is a different proposition to the 18-25 age bracket. A lot of women swoon at the sight of a man in an army, naval or RAF uniform and understandably. For every woman anti-squaddies there will be one who adores them. Different horses for courses and all that.

Anyway, good luck and heartfelt thanks for all you do for this country!

ReputationRep:
    I'm very anti-military/anti-war. Anyone who enlists in the military is (at whatever level) taking on a job in which they may be involved in the deaths of others - something I personally don't have respect for.
    I couldn't be with anyone who could be knowingly involved in that.
    It's the one thing that would make me say no to a relationship instantly.
    What about the Royal Air Force/Navy pilots who rescue people out at sea on boats that are sinking?

Like everyone else I didnt join to kill people I joined to help.

ReputationRep:
    i have complete respect for them, my boyfriend is an aviation engineer in the Irish air core only issue I have is when he jokes around about being sent to Chad, its not funny!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.