Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to do GCSE's, about 5.
    I just wanted information on what to do, I would go to college but I will be leaving the UK for a few months.

How do I apply to sit GCSE examinations?
    When do I apply ?
    How much will it cost (roughly)?
    & lastly, can I study myself without buying specific material?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny-Brown)
    How do I apply to sit GCSE examinations?
    When do I apply ?
    How much will it cost (roughly)?
    & lastly, can I study myself without buying specific material?
    1. HOW You have to find a school or college willing to accept you as a private candidate and get their examinations officer to enter you.
    useful info here:
    http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Pages/private.aspx
    http://web.aqa.org.uk/admin/p_private/
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/librar...ND-CENTRES.PDF

2. WHEN. Start calling as soon as possible as not every school/college will be willing to accept you. The deadline for entries depends on which exam session you want to enter for. Talk to your current school exams officer asap and see if they will help. Find out which awarding body they use (some people call them exam boards) so you know what revision materials and past papers to use.
    Exam timetable:
    http://www.modernisationonline.org.uk/comptimetable/

3. HOW MUCH. They are allowed to charge what ever they like as an admin fee on top of the exam fee. If you are lucky and find somewhere that is generous then around £15-20 for each exam (exam not subject!). There are some private centres (mostly in London) that charge a fortune for private entries.

4. You can use whatever material you like, however depending on your subject you might be better off using the endorsed text book/revision guide of the awarding body as there can be differences in the specification. You should try and get past papers for the specific awarding body to help you revise.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, this is very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    This is all very good advice. You may want to wait until September though because it is likely that the Exams Officer will be on holiday. They will be in school just prior to the GCSE and A-level results and on the day itself.

Also note that this guidance will be updated in September to reflect changes for the 2009 / 2010 academic session.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.