Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Private Pratice - More like argue session watch

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you seem to be falling out with parents whenever you go out and pratice in your car? or is it just me and mine! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have private practice but believe me when I say it's not just you

I think it's because parents don't tend to have the patience or just know how to teach like instructors do, they just tell you things and expect you to know and get it right first time!

If I had private practice I think my Mum or Dad would be the same.

ReputationRep:
    I did that ages ago was torture would never do it again

ReputationRep:
    I just learnt to stfu and kick out my talk back option. When I think about it, they probably feel pretty vulnerable without dual controls and so I can see why they'd be massively wound up...

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, my first try ever in a car was with my bloke.

I didn't know what the clutch actually did, so serious car novice here. So when the car moved as a released the clutch, I seriously wasn't expecting it. I panicked and moved away from the pedals, and the car stalled. So within ten seconds of the engine being on, I'd yelled at him and had a mega strop.

His response? "I thought everyone knew what the clutch does".

Argh!

The problem is that it's all too easy to assume people know more and forget what it's like when you're learning. Assuming you know something without being told leads to the arguments.

In all fairness, he's a lot better now. He'll explain things to me if we've never done it before, and we've been OK since. That said, I've not done 'real' roads in his car yet cos I don't feel ready to go out without dual controls. We'll have to see if we stay as calm and serene when it's real driving.

ReputationRep:
    My parents were fine most of the time, except when Mum used to panic that I'd hit stuff with the Land Rover. In her mind it's about a foot larger in every direction than it actually is, which of course causes a bit of grating when she screams OH GOD STOP IT WON'T FIT, when in reality it fits with feet to spare. Dad used to just shut up and let me drive though.

Car parks were, and still are, great fun to park in with the Land Rover and Mum in the passenger seat. It's basically a box on wheels so the corner of the bonnet you can see is pretty much the corner of the car. Dear Mother views the corner of the bonnet in much the same way that you view it on a normal car, you add 6-10 inches to it mentally, depending on the car, to make up for the curves and bumper. Pulling up inches away from a shiny Beamer, she's convinced that I'm about an inch away from it. I slowly creep forward to get just that little bit extra distance (pathetic steering lock on the 110) and she goes "no no no NO NO NO NOOOO" until I put her out of her misery and stop :p:

ReputationRep:
    One of the most important rules of driving, is don't learn to drive with your parents. Driving with my mother in the car was one of the worst experiences I've ever had.

ReputationRep:
    When I learnt to drive, my Mum had one hand on the side of her seat and the other on the door. She completely dreaded it but she knew how much I wanted to drive, so she put up with it !!

My brother now wants to drive and shes already worried about it again, shes just hoping to put him off until I'm 21 so I can take him out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heir-Head)
    One of the most important rules of driving, is don't learn to drive with your parents. Driving with my mother in the car was one of the worst experiences I've ever had.
    Dear Lord. This was a nightmare.

Did your mum ever try and brake, using the imaginary dual controls? :p:
    Mine did. She was never able to stop the car.

ReputationRep:
    My mu used to hang onto the little handle on the roof by the door for dear life. She pulled it out eventually She still does tense up though at traffic lights or junctions even though I've passed my driving test

Both my parents are teachers/lecturers so they know how to teach which is BRILLIANT when I'm out in their car - they're really calm all the time which means whenever they get a bit ratty I know I'm doing something dangerous!! Plus it means I'm calmer so won't make silly mistakes because I'm annoyed with them shouting/getting in a fuss. The first time I went out in the car with my mum I thought she should be a diving instructor!! She made me feel more at ease with driving than my instructor does even! I should be allowed out on the roads (I've been practising around the university campus/estate with no cars around) in a couple of weeks as I'm really just getting used to driving such a big car (Ford Mondeo 2.0TDI). No idea how I managed to get insured on it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furry747)
    Dear Lord. This was a nightmare.

Did your mum ever try and brake, using the imaginary dual controls? :p:
    Mine did. She was never able to stop the car.
    Oh yes, she still does it now even thought I've been passed my test for a year. She also insists I slow down if I'm doing 33 in a 30 zone when she does 50 in a 30 zone...

ReputationRep:
    did it twice - was pretty good
    once i passed - dear god stfu

ReputationRep:
    nope, my dad has an extremely slow fuse.

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain, my dad refused to take any of us out thanks to him trying to teach my mother many many years ago. She still hasn't passed her test but still get her back seat driving now even though I have had my licence for well over 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    I've got no choice but to practise with my dad at the moment, because my test is just a couple of weeks away. I failed my first driving test and haven't had any lessons since (my instructor didn't think I needed anymore) but due to his diary getting very full, very quickly, I've only been able to book one 2 hour session with him before my test...and that will be the first time in 2 months that I've been in his car, practised manoeuvres properly etc...and that is the day before my test...needless to say I'm a bit nervous!

Anyway...yeah, driving with my dad always ends up in an argument, either over his directions, or something I've done which he thinks is wrong but I know is right because its what my instructor has told me.

ReputationRep:
    Driving with my mum is fail
    she just screams and only stops to tell me im going too fast (25 in a 60) I told her I was a danger to other road users to which I got YOU'RE NOT IN CONTROL!!!! :eek3: :eek3:
    I just calmly drove us home and got out.....was funny

Step-dad is fine though

ReputationRep:
    When I was learning to drive, I didn't get to drive a car outside of lessons until I had passed.
    OK I suppose I had a few more lessons than had I had a car to play with, but I don't feel like I missed out.

I couldn't have driven my car anyway. I bought it when i was 16 and did a mild resto on it. It didn't even have a head for 6 months! lol!

ReputationRep:
    I never did any driving outside of lessons for this reason. Not worth the torture.

ReputationRep:
    My mum was awful!
    She used to hold the sides of the seat, and try and break on her side of the car, and my car was so much smaller than hers so she was sure it wouldn't fit into gaps that it would. :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.