Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can any current physics student tell me whether they are still happy with their course choice? If not then why? Has the course as described in the prospectus fulfilled your expectations?

ReputationRep:
    I'm still happy. The course was better than I expected.

ReputationRep:
    So what is good about the course? How would you rate the quality of teaching on a scale from 1 to 10, where 1 is extremely bad 5 is average and 10 is excellent?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure you can rate the quality of teaching for the whole course like that. You'll get some lecturers which are pretty bad (you'll find out soon enough) and you'll get excellent world class teaching too.
    Course has the right mixture of maths and physics, lab and lectures and is pitched at the right level - a lot of top uni's just shove maths into the face of their first years.

ReputationRep:
    Sambles and Vukusic jump straight to mind with the excellent world class group. McCaughrean is another, shame you won't meet him though =( I sat in on one of lectures once...saying I was there for the 'Pretty pictures'...Anyway...

I'm a mathematician, but I did physics electives, and my boyfriend is about to start his 3rd year of MPhys with Astrophysics...

Also with the maths - if you can't keep up with the first year maths, PHY1116 IIRC, there is an introductory course that you can do first, then in second year you do PHY1116 (which is PHY1216 (I think..might be PHY1126..not sure)) Which you have to pass by the end of the 2nd year...

Erm, yeah..I'll move away now xD

ReputationRep:
    Barnes is really good as well.
    The most important module in the year by far is maths - the teaching is alright for new material just make sure you use your demonstrators to their potential.

ReputationRep:
    OK folks - so what about contact time per week? I would expect at least 22 hours may be more. Tell me if I'm wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamjar)
    OK folks - so what about contact time per week? I would expect at least 22 hours may be more. Tell me if I'm wrong?
    You get between 18-20 hours a week, I got 18 hours in my 3rd year.

The quality of the teaching is generally very high. It does of course vary, and I'd agree that certain lecturers are better than others but overall the standard is high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krell)
    You get between 18-20 hours a week, I got 18 hours in my 3rd year.

The quality of the teaching is generally very high. It does of course vary, and I'd agree that certain lecturers are better than others but overall the standard is high.
    The problem that I have is what you mean by high standard of teaching? To me a high standard of teaching would be one that is inspirational but stretching, that gets you really motivated to learn and find out more, explains the problem and demonstrates the solution, interacts with the audience and gives informative feedback in a timely manner, so that you look forward to the next lecture session with relish. So does that accord with you?:p:

What about the lab facilities? Are there modern and up to date instruments? Are the lab sessions well supervised and the demonstrators know what they are doing? I appreciate a bit more feel on what is atmosphere of the course. Everybody gets on well and there is a good rapport with the lecturers? Finally what is the ratio of males to females?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.