Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Online "BF" threatens suicide if i leave? Ive know him 3 weeks!! Watch

I met this guy online, we started talking because we share the same problems (insecurities and depression). It was nice for a while because we can relate. Suddenly he starts calling me his girlfriend, i kept telling him no and that it was too soon for anything like that but he considered us dating anyway.

Fast forward 3 weeks and now he's saying that basically if i don't start moving faster and contact him over phone / meet him that he will feel the need to just end things (his life).

He said he's waited too long and now feels that without me, his life is over. :woo: Help!

I don't know what to do, he said if i cut contact he will do it, so what do i do? I dont want something like this on my conscious! And for the record, in no way at all did i lead him on. He's the one who went from chatting to thinking we are in love.. even when i told him no.

Advice?

ReputationRep:
    For all you know he could be 68, called Fred and a serial rapist. DO NOT MEET HIM!

Don't let him blackmail you into meeting him. Keep talking to him like you are, like normally, to make sure he's still alive?

ReputationRep:
    Let him do it.

One less mouth to feed.

ReputationRep:
    Cut all ties from this guy, block him and never bother again.
    It's surprising the amount of idiots who make up rubbish like this for attention...leave him well alone for both your sakes!

ReputationRep:
    Remember it's not your fault. He obviously has big problems, and they don't really relate to you!

ReputationRep:
    Block him.

Or get his number then ring it with 141 to check if hes real.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt he's being serious tbh, more he just wants to use you :/ Just block him. If you're really that worried you could try to contact a friend/ family member to keep an eye on him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by René Artois)
    Let him do it.

One less mouth to feed.
    Agreed. Cut contact and move on like nothing ever happened

ReputationRep:
    I would cut contact with him, because I don't personally believe that he would do it. I don't know the guy but if his mental problems are really that bad, there is nothing you can do to help him anyway and it would be wrong to jeapordise your safety for that of someone you don't even honestly know. Block him on msn/facebook or whatever you're using and don't talk to him again.

ReputationRep:
    Don't meet him.

ReputationRep:
    Atleast go on webcam to each other to prove he is who he says he is. Hold it off til you are 100% though. Or perhaps bring a friend for safety if you do meet him. And personally, people have issue's if they get suicidal about anything. Normally just attention seeker's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I met this guy online, we started talking because we share the same problems (insecurities and depression). It was nice for a while because we can relate. Suddenly he starts calling me his girlfriend, i kept telling him no and that it was too soon for anything like that but he considered us dating anyway.

Fast forward 3 weeks and now he's saying that basically if i don't start moving faster and contact him over phone / meet him that he will feel the need to just end things (his life).

He said he's waited too long and now feels that without me, his life is over. :woo: Help!

I don't know what to do, he said if i cut contact he will do it, so what do i do? I dont want something like this on my conscious! And for the record, in no way at all did i lead him on. He's the one who went from chatting to thinking we are in love.. even when i told him no.

Advice?
    where exactly online did you meet him?

This can give some good indication as to what kind of maniac we're dealing with here.

ReputationRep:
    That's creepy. I would just stop talking to him.

ReputationRep:
    Kid's got attachment issues. Not your problem D:

ReputationRep:
    Oh let him get on with it. As harsh as that sounds, its not your responsibility. Its emotional blackmail.
    Block the guy, stop all contact and dont talk to him anymore.
    Don't let him make you feel guilty for the fact that hes made up some fantasy reality in his head.

ReputationRep:
    block him now while you still haven't spent much time on him, think of it this way, if you keep on talking to this guy and prolonging the inevitable it's valuable time you could be using for other things, like helping out with other peoples lives, volunteering in africa etc, and he'll have forgotten about you in 2 weeks and onto his next obsession.

ReputationRep:
    Living under the constant fear that someone will commit suicide if you do not do something right is not a way to live. Explain to him in a mature reasonable way that you won't be emotionally blackmailed. If he does not accept that or freaks out simply ignore him.

This is an online thing so you can completely end any communication with him at any time.

ReputationRep:
    If he's saying he's gonna kill himself if you don't meet him, that's emotional blackmail. Don't meet him, consider telling someone he's threatening to kill himself too, just incase.

ReputationRep:
    Call

His

Bluff

ReputationRep:
    Sounds emo, doing it for the attention. I'd cut off all ties to him and just asume he won't do it. Chances are he won't and if he did you wouldn't know anyways.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.