Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Online "BF" threatens suicide if i leave? Ive know him 3 weeks!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    who cares?
    he sounds like an idiot. delete him from MSN and if he's stupid enough to commit suicide over it then more fool him.

good riddance.

ReputationRep:
    If he is unstable enough to kill himself over this, he is too dangerous to meet.

ReputationRep:
    Just ditch him, tbh I would just call his bluff.

ReputationRep:
    give me $10 and i'll make sure the moron fits in the noose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I met this guy online, we started talking because we share the same problems (insecurities and depression). It was nice for a while because we can relate. Suddenly he starts calling me his girlfriend, i kept telling him no and that it was too soon for anything like that but he considered us dating anyway.

Fast forward 3 weeks and now he's saying that basically if i don't start moving faster and contact him over phone / meet him that he will feel the need to just end things (his life).

He said he's waited too long and now feels that without me, his life is over. :woo: Help!

I don't know what to do, he said if i cut contact he will do it, so what do i do? I dont want something like this on my conscious! And for the record, in no way at all did i lead him on. He's the one who went from chatting to thinking we are in love.. even when i told him no.

Advice?
    Block him and carry on living.

:poke:

I don't even want to meet him. I said from the start that we're just friends online to talk to if we are ever feeling down. Nothing more than that, and no communication or meet ups offline.

(Original post by priceless_beauty)
    where exactly online did you meet him?

This can give some good indication as to what kind of maniac we're dealing with here.
    I'm part of a depression forum, I joined to try and help myself by talking to people who can actually relate to my situation.. I never expected this, am i naive? I feel like an idiot..

I'm suffering severe depression myself so this is really effecting me.

ReputationRep:
    Advice?
    I would hate to be in your situation but he is not your problem. People like that are ****** up! I know he prbably is going throught a crap time but he is clearly selfish and only cares about his feelings, not yours. You are just an object that he can obsess over.
    Two choices:
    1) You be with him and forget about your own life (do not do this!!)
    2) you cut off all contact with him and show him that he can't manipulate people in this way. I doubt he will go through with it but if he does then its not your fault.

ReputationRep:
    Cut contact. At once.

If you don't want to ... only talk to him when he talks normally - as soon as he mentions "girlfriend" or "suicide", observe silence/go offline. If you only reply to normal messages, he may adapt.

But I would just cut contact completely.

Or tell him you are really a boy, you were just too self-conscious about your problems so you decided to pretend to be a girl.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even want to meet him. I said from the start that we're just friends online to talk to if we are ever feeling down. Nothing more than that, and no communication or meet ups offline.

I'm part of a depression forum, I joined to try and help myself by talking to people who can actually relate to my situation.. I never expected this, am i naive? I feel like an idiot..

I'm suffering severe depression myself so this is really effecting me.

OMG, the irony is too much, almost overwhelming actually, im sorry, but i would have been shocked if he didnt tell you he was going to kill himself belonging to a depression forum.

If you want some hardcore lifechanging advice PM me, i will try my best to help you, and not just tell you "its all going to be alright" and "theres people worse off than you"

PM and ill help.

ReputationRep:
    Don't meet him, he could be messing with you. If you're worried, just keep comforting him.

ReputationRep:
    give his number to the police!!!
    let them take care of it

ReputationRep:
    God what a loser.. be strong and don't give in. If he can't see how pathetic it is to emotionally blackmail you into meeting him then he is just a complete idiot.

I think you should call his bluff and cut him off completely - I don't think that he would honestly kill himself and even if he did he's clearly not in a very good place right now. You wouldn't be the only reason, I think he's just looking for an excuse or a trigger.

ReputationRep:
    he wants cybersex.

ReputationRep:
    he won't do it. Just block him.

ReputationRep:
    Let him kill himself, sounds like a tool anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You have no responsibility for his life. You do not know him personally. He doesn't have the right to put a grip on your emotions. Remember, if he wanted to kill himself, he would not have put any condition (i.e. you dumping him), he's obviously just trying to make himself be "loved".

Very pathetic indeed, if that wasn't already brightly obvious. Please live your life and don't let others play around with your feelings. He's probably just lying to you.

ReputationRep:
    What an uber emo, I want to strangle him with his skinny jeans. He isn't going to kill himself! Stay away, stay far far far away. Block him. And if he does, it's probably a good thing because sounds like he shouldn't spread the gene pool. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I have a friend whose boyfriend has depression and whenever she is considering breaking up with him that's the first thing she worries about, what he would do if she broke up with him. I mean, jesus, that's a bit tight blackmailing someone like that because if one person's unhappy in the relationship the other isn't going to be happy and so it is surely better for them to break up? I would say it is 95% a threat, the chances of you breaking off this "relationship" leading to him killing himself are very small and quite ridiculous. But if he did commit suicide, he would just be using it as an excuse. When you feel soo low like that it's hard to see any positive things in life and maybe he is just using you as a "ray of hope". All you need to do is convince him that you are NOT the thing that's keeping him hanging on BUT making sure that he finds something else instead. Shouldn't be too hard since he's willing to top himself over a 3 week long girlfriendbutnot who he's never even met. GOOD LUCK.

ReputationRep:
    leave him; he sounds like he wont be missed!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    2 options.

1. Cut contact
    2. Cybersex THEN cut contact. For the 'lulz'

Oh and 3, tell him to stream it live via Justin.tv

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.