Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Online "BF" threatens suicide if i leave? Ive know him 3 weeks!! Watch

1. Cut contact.
    2. Get the police involved.

ReputationRep:
    i think you should probably cut contact, ...but seeing as you met him on a depression forum he might actually be serious. depression can do funny things to people.

if it were me and i cut contact and the person killed themselves i'd feel bad even though i shouldn't.

don't know what to advise really.

is he good looking?

would a one time pity sex really be a big nono ?

i think you should try call the police/samaritians and give them as much details as you can so they can send someone over to council him or something

(Original post by ANM775)

would a one time pity sex really be a big nono ?
    This would make him more attached to me, plus i'd never sleep around like that. I don't want any contact with him offline.

ReputationRep:
    Ask him to film it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm part of a depression forum, I joined to try and help myself by talking to people who can actually relate to my situation.. I never expected this, am i naive? I feel like an idiot..
    Sorry, but if your depressed, talking to lots of other suicidal people who are telling you their suicidal thoughts is probably not the best idea. Counciling would be much better tbh.

My friends gf (who's suicidal) threatened suicide when he broke up with her. She slashed her arms up a bit but it didn't get much worse than that.

ReputationRep:
    Cut off contact or carry on talking to him. Either way just do what you're doing and don't contact him offline under any circumstances. He sounds way too dodgy. Reminds me of an online version of Oliver (from the OC).

ReputationRep:
    Cut all contact, but if you're worried, privately contact the site's moderators.

Not that they personally can deal with it any better, but as the forum is dedicated to depression-related topics, I'm sure it's not the first time the mods have been confronted by it. They may be better placed to help him (contacts, phone numbers, etc.), and it will allow you to end your correspondence with him without that little 'what if?' feeling of if you could have done more.

You shouldn't have to feel emotionally blackmailed by his comments and actions, so don't be.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt he will actually "kill himself" he's just saying this to try propel the "relationship" forward. Tell him that your not his girlfriend and that if he really does kill himself then he is a very silly boy/man - preferably when he is offline so he doesn't reply with "**** you i'm killing myself then" to try and guilt trip you. Then block and delete him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I met this guy online, we started talking because we share the same problems (insecurities and depression). It was nice for a while because we can relate. Suddenly he starts calling me his girlfriend, i kept telling him no and that it was too soon for anything like that but he considered us dating anyway.

Fast forward 3 weeks and now he's saying that basically if i don't start moving faster and contact him over phone / meet him that he will feel the need to just end things (his life).

He said he's waited too long and now feels that without me, his life is over. :woo: Help!

I don't know what to do, he said if i cut contact he will do it, so what do i do? I dont want something like this on my conscious! And for the record, in no way at all did i lead him on. He's the one who went from chatting to thinking we are in love.. even when i told him no.

Advice?

I don't have any special insight but I'd have thought stating firmly that you're not his girlfriend, you're not going to meet him, but (and this is your decision) you'll stay and talk through his problems as friends is the best thing you can do. Maybe encourage him to reflect on his behaviour (a bit like you might tell a child to, because he's behaving like a child: "If you don't do what I want I'll squeam" springs to mind).

I don't suppose he'll hurt himself but even if he did, he was always going to, and there's nothing you could do about it - if you met him, he'd want more - he'd always want more and more till you reached a point where you weren't gonna give and then he'd do this. Best to just not give any.

But if you don't want to talk to him, that's fine, and your decision because you shouldn't be obliged to. Maybe if you continue contact with him, you should involve a friend or someone to support you because it sounds pretty stressful!

EDIT: Just don't give him any extra attention because of the emotional blackmail, otherwise he'll learn that blackmail gets him what he wants.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.