Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it strange to only communicate with someone you're dating a few times a week? Watch

I've been dating this guy for a while, and we see each other once a week and talk via facebook/text maybe 3 times a week. Is this strange? I just don't feel the need to know what he's doing everyday and enjoy speaking to him more when we've had a couple of days without communication. Also, we both have around 3 different groups of friends each and spend time with them and also are busy with our own hobbies. It just seems like a lot of people speak to their partners a few times a day and see them at least a few times a week and I feel like my situation is wierd.

ReputationRep:
    No you're not weird, having your own hobbies and life is better than being the type of nightmare partner who wants to burn all your phone credit by talking to you 3 times a day. Once a week as a meet up is fine.

ReputationRep:
    If you're both okay with it it seems fine. Are you in a LDR?

ReputationRep:
    Some guys (and girls too i guess) can be a bit full on. I think some people try to force a relationship to work but I think you need to let it happend naturally.

ReputationRep:
    This is probably healthier. I managed a 3 year LDR, though granted we did at least text each other most days. Don't worry about it It's better to have your own lives!

ReputationRep:
    Nah.. I'm in an LDR with my boyfriend when not at uni, sometimes we go without proper communication for a few days at a time and I can't really see the problem with it.

The thing is, I'm not in a long distance relationship. We don't live that far away from each other, so this is all out of choice. Some people think if you don't want to speak to them every day, then you shouldn't be with that person.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same with the guy I'm seeing. We just don't talk in between dates... but then again, we're only getting to know each other on a slow, easy basis...

TBH I don't think we're that mad about each other... damn this thread. x)

ReputationRep:
    I've spoken to my boyfriend every day since December, and if I'm a little less talkative than usual I get pulled up on it and the 'you've been very quiet, are you okay?' talk. I like talking to him though, it makes me feel closer to him if/when I miss him :yep:

It's strange, I look forward to talking to him or seeing him, but I never 'miss' him. I feel like I should try and become more 'clingy' in a way!

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a breath of fresh air frankly. Much better that than the clingy girl who texts you 10 times every day and calls five times.

ReputationRep:
    Nope sounds pretty healthy to me

ReputationRep:
    I see my boy about the same due to work comitments and such, he works nights though so we could see each other more often if we tried, I like missing him though because its great when I do see him and we never get bored of each other

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.