Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi im 17 and i will be going into my 2nd yr of A levels in September.
    I am trying to find my first part time job to fit around my education.

I have applied to KFC, Farm foods, Mcdonalds and Greggs on their online websites even though it doesnt say they have vacancies it lets you fill out an application anyway and says it will send the application to the relevant department.

Do you think this is a good way to try and apply for jobs or do you think nothing will happen. Thanks for any advice....:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I was in the same position, but got lucky when Waitrose phoned from an old appliaction.

At the moment its very difficult to find jobs full stop, let alone part time - the only advantage I would say you have is, you are more likely to get a part time than an adult purely because you can be paid less and that's a plus for the company.

The only thing I would say is, make sure you are flexible - and if you get an interview, say that because otherwise they may think - student! only time for school! etc.

ReputationRep:
    No harm in trying, but the traditional way, I think, is best. That is, get out and hand out some CVs.

ReputationRep:
    Its embarrasing handing out CVs though cos if your in a cue n then u go up to the counter n ask if there are any jobs like!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky3112)
    Hi im 17 and i will be going into my 2nd yr of A levels in September.
    I am trying to find my first part time job to fit around my education.

I have applied to KFC, Farm foods, Mcdonalds and Greggs on their online websites even though it doesnt say they have vacancies it lets you fill out an application anyway and says it will send the application to the relevant department.

Do you think this is a good way to try and apply for jobs or do you think nothing will happen. Thanks for any advice....:confused:

tbh. if you want a job youl have to try harder ;] iv given out about 5O cvs or so.. or even a few more been to 3 job agencies and sent my cv off to 4. still no proper job and i have been looking for over 2 months i only have a now and again cafe work which i started today :P :]
    my advice to you is to apply everywhere! :] :] :] xxxx

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks searching. I know i need to try harder cos i wanna start driving c n cant do that without a steady part time job that pays around 75 a week. Does any1 know of any other websites than those i put in the first post that allow you to apply online for sales assistant kinds of jobs. Last year i started looking for a job. I went to my local wilkinsons and asked if there were any jobs they said yes 2. So i gave my CV but never heard anything back I think everyone who applies shud get an interview. Then again I was fresh out of school and didnt even have my GCSE results yet sooo.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    No harm in trying, but the traditional way, I think, is best. That is, get out and hand out some CVs.
    that is actually the worst possible way. maybe 1 in 40 places will get back to you. most places just put it in a cupboard and never look again or probably just throw it in the bin. online applications are the only way where they actually get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mad m05)
    that is actually the worst possible way. maybe 1 in 40 places will get back to you. most places just put it in a cupboard and never look again or probably just throw it in the bin. online applications are the only way where they actually get back to you.
    If the store has vacancies, then yes, I think it is a very good way. But, I understand, there is little benefit in going out and handing CVs to random stores that are not recruiting.

ReputationRep:
    anyone know of any shop websites that allow you to put in online applications??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mad m05)

But some employers would prefer it if you went to the shop rather than sit at your computer.
    But yeah, some companies have online application forms.
    But do CVs as well, and don't be embarrassed, OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    But some employers would prefer it if you went to the shop rather than sit at your computer.
    But yeah, some companies have online application forms.
    But do CVs as well, and don't be embarrassed, OP.
    ok then i suppose i shouldnt be just sitting at the computer.

ReputationRep:
    ok then i suppose i shouldnt be just sitting at the computer.
    No. No, you shouldn't, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    No. No, you shouldn't, I guess.
    have u got a job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    Yep. As soul destroying as it is, it needs to be done.

ReputationRep:
    have u got a job?
    had one.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think that 2 trains to get to work is bad takes about an hour altogether?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.