Turn on thread page Beta

Do you suffer from 'Imposter Syndrome'? watch

ReputationRep:
    A 'syndrome' where sufferers are unable to internalize their accomplishments. Regardless of what level of success they may have achieved in their chosen field of work or study or what external proof they may have of their competence, those with the syndrome remain convinced internally they do not deserve the success they have achieved and are actually frauds. Proof of success is dismissed as luck, timing, or as a result of deceiving others into thinking they were more intelligent and competent than they believe themselves to be.

This syndrome was thought to be particularly common among women who are successful in their given careers, but has since been shown to occur for an equal number of men. It is typically associated with academics and is widely found amongst graduate students.

Do you suffer from this 'syndrome'?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, definitely not.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing syndrome about it, it's a natural thing to think (sometimes). Actually good that exists. Imagine if all lecturers thought they were the salt of the earth just because they had a phd.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if I have a good crit at uni I start thinking that somehow I have cheated with my design work, or lucked into the idea, and that I actually don't deserve a good crit. I think its more of a self confidence thing though, not some syndrome.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I imagine that I'm not really this brilliant, but then I realise that I am.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think so.

Except in regard to my chemistry GCSE. But that was luck.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone on TSR has to worry about having that syndrome, have you seen some people's sigs on here?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so :erm:

ReputationRep:
    All the time.

ReputationRep:
    modesty is a disease now? jesus.

ReputationRep:
    Quite possibly, I still don't feel I deserve my degree :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Modesty is now a syndrome?

Arrogance ftw!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know really. What I usually do is feel good about having achieved something for about five minutes and then think "Well it's not that good to be honest, and you're an otherwise rubbish person, so LOL."

So probably not in terms of my achievements but definitely in other ways, I think. I know I can write decent essays, etc, whatever, but I'm still an impostor, for other reasons. (Because my academic success is a veneer for my utter failure as a person generally.)

ReputationRep:
    Not about the things I have worked for, though I sometimes feel that I should be more grateful for the circumstances I was born into and that my success is more because of my family's support than my own initiative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booraad)
    A 'syndrome' where sufferers are unable to internalize their accomplishments. Regardless of what level of success they may have achieved in their chosen field of work or study or what external proof they may have of their competence, those with the syndrome remain convinced internally they do not deserve the success they have achieved and are actually frauds. Proof of success is dismissed as luck, timing, or as a result of deceiving others into thinking they were more intelligent and competent than they believe themselves to be.

This syndrome was thought to be particularly common among women who are successful in their given careers, but has since been shown to occur for an equal number of men. It is typically associated with academics and is widely found amongst graduate students.

'Unable to internalize their accomplishments'? i.e. A big headed loudmouth who likes to tell everyone what they have achieved.

How is such a person MORE likely to not think they deserve their achievements? They'd shut up about them if they really thought that. There's a phrase that is more apt for such people- 'chip on the shoulder'.

(Original post by booraad)

I sometimes feel this way about my success in music. While I have practiced more, and so gained more knowledge of music than most of my peers, I have nowhere near as much experience as many of those around me, so I sometimes feel that I'm being given respect that I haven't yet earned properly.

PS: I thought for a moment that this thread was going to be asking if I keep thinking people are talking to me when they aren't. Luckily, this doesn't happen to me very often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    'Unable to internalize their accomplishments'? i.e. A big headed loudmouth who likes to tell everyone what they have achieved.

How is such a person MORE likely to not think they deserve their achievements? They'd shut up about them if they really thought that. There's a phrase that is more apt for such people- 'chip on the shoulder'.
    lol you know that's not what that phrase means right? Fail.

ReputationRep:
    I think I show some similar traits but I postulate that I do this because I realise,deep down, that such accomplishments are meaningless to me and therefore I don't feel as though I achieved anything.

Or

I just don't feel that every single achievement is worth mentioning or boasting about, unlike some people who seem to shot aloud from high mountain tops about anything they have ever achieved when in fact everything we have ever done has been half chance.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.