The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Apparently I do suffer from this but I would not classify it as a syndrome, purely my way of thinking and because of the way I've been brought up I'm not likely to think things I've done are worth much.
So I will always attribute my success to other things.
So yes, I do have "imposter syndrome" but at the same time I pretty much deny its existence. It's just a natural thing for some people.
Reply 21
I have some of the traits but not to an extreme. Mainly i just feel that i'm average at most things but due to putting a fair amount of work in i can achieve good results. I don't think i am naturally gifted, but could attain a high level in my studies through effort. I suppose it is realism to a certain extent.

That said, i can understand the feeling of getting high marks and then because people recognise it, you feel you have to keep it up which in turn requires more effort and produces some doubt. Especially when you think you're an average achiever rather than naturally capable. One then wonders when they'll hit the wall and hard work won't be enough to keep up.

I personally prefer this description from the new york times, it gives a better analysis which is less extreme http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/health/05mind.html
Reply 22
Tootles
I sometimes feel this way about my success in music. While I have practiced more, and so gained more knowledge of music than most of my peers, I have nowhere near as much experience as many of those around me, so I sometimes feel that I'm being given respect that I haven't yet earned properly.

PS: I thought for a moment that this thread was going to be asking if I keep thinking people are talking to me when they aren't. Luckily, this doesn't happen to me very often.

This.
I normally attribute my success to internal factors such as effort rather than luck.
Reply 23
I don't think so :erm:
Interesting thread.

I've read up on the syndrome before.

I personally sometimes feel affected by this. For example, I can at times find myself seeking guidance from people who deep down I know have an inferior knowledge to me on the topic in question.
Yes. I will occasionally feel proud of an accomplishment, but remember it was rendered real by someone else, luck, or good timing.
Reply 26
littleshambles
lol you know that's not what that phrase means right? Fail.

Well, explain this line then: 'A 'syndrome' where sufferers are unable to internalize their accomplishments.'
Reply 27
I pretend to be like that because I'm so damn modest but really I know I'm completely awesome at everything.

(I wish)
Maybe they're just being modest? :s-smilie:
Picnic1
Well, explain this line then: 'A 'syndrome' where sufferers are unable to internalize their accomplishments.'

It means "sufferers" are unable to accept their accomplishments as part of their self-image - i.e. feel they have accomplished their accomplishments, that they are successful as a result of their successes.

It does not mean that "sufferers" are unable to shut up about their accomplishments.
Reply 30
I think I may slightly.

I do know that I've never been very good at accepting praise. And in recent years with various exams passed my family often say stuff like "you must be proud" but I do see it as one job that I had to do.
I think you've described me to a tea, OP.

(I'm a poet and I didn't know it! :P:smile:
George231086
I have some of the traits but not to an extreme. Mainly i just feel that i'm average at most things but due to putting a fair amount of work in i can achieve good results. I don't think i am naturally gifted, but could attain a high level in my studies through effort. I suppose it is realism to a certain extent.

That said, i can understand the feeling of getting high marks and then because people recognise it, you feel you have to keep it up which in turn requires more effort and produces some doubt. Especially when you think you're an average achiever rather than naturally capable. One then wonders when they'll hit the wall and hard work won't be enough to keep up.

I personally prefer this description from the new york times, it gives a better analysis which is less extreme http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/health/05mind.html

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something."- Randy Pausch :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 33
frank_drebin
"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something."- Randy Pausch :smile:

Spoiler

Nice quote, i'll keep that in mind.
Wow. Yes, completely.

Latest

Trending

Trending