Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going to Dental Lab for Work Experience Tomorrow, What Should I ask, any tips? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know, it will be fairly boring, but what should I expect, what things can I ask, am I expected to have some background knowledge any suggestions? I don't just want to be standing around saying nothing. What kind of things go on? I have 2 days of this fun by the way!!

ReputationRep:
    no background required- just ask what they are doing and why.
    you will see denture cases, crowns, bridges, orthodontic appliances etc. ask about the materials they use- advantages etc.

ReputationRep:
    Ask if you can make something so you can take it to interview!

Honestly, it would be fantastic no matter how insignificant it is as you could use it to prove your manual dexterity. Just remember how it was made etc.

To be honest this is good work experience - it shows you looked at different aspects involved in the dentistry - ie the interplay between different but related professions and skills which ultimately serves to provide care to the patients etc. before you settled on dentistry.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have just completed the first out of two days there, and I made a Bite Block, is that what it's called, because I really couldn't understand the guy's accent much :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek: , I asked him to repeat a few things, but you really should have been there to know what I mean, it was a really strong Scottish accent, but fair play to him, I made something, need to finish it off though on Wednesday when I'm in next. It was a wax denture thing, I'm surfe it was called a bite block or something, can someone help me out here???

ReputationRep:
    Bite block..yeah!

ReputationRep:
    I asked loads of questions, but still don't really understand half of it, what stage of the process is this "bite block" for. I heated a wax piece and molded it around a model thingy. Can someone put a link up so that I know we're talking about the same thing, with an image or something from google? What exactly is the bite block for???? I was told loads of stuff apart from basic stuff like this :confused: :confused: :eek: :confused: :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.