Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Today, everytime I read the sports section of any newspaper it's just full of the most biased crap I have ever seen. I dont understand why one tiny English victory is always blown up by the media to be something massive? Normally all they're doing is building England up, for them only to fall again later. Why do we persist with this? For example, the Ashes is on at the moment and on EVERY advert promoting the Ashes this summer it is either footage from 2005 (when england won) or it is an aussie batsmen being bowled or an aussie bowler being hit for 6? England seem to live in the past? We so sweetly ignore the 2007 ashes where we got hammered 5-0?

Why? And your views.

sorry for the long post

ReputationRep:
    cause this is england, most people aren't interested in being reminded of us losing

and 2005 was the last time it was over here

ReputationRep:
    'Cause it's good fun to get behind English success. Excessive self-deprecation and false modesty get rather tiresome.

ReputationRep:
    So you're shocked that English newspapers are reporting on English victories?

ReputationRep:
    I'm real not one for patriotism, I don't particularly like the idea of the nation state full stop.

But - there is something about patriotic pride at sporting events which makes it oh so much more compulsive.

ReputationRep:
    Makes a change from all the moaning about what a state the country is supposidly in I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Papers need money. People give the money for entertainment. Who'd buy a paper that laughs in the face of national teams? No one. So the truth is not the right strategy here. Papers and magazines are all about telling people what they're used to hearing, in the kind of language they're used to hearing it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    So you're shocked that English newspapers are reporting on English victories?

No thats not what I said. It the way they hype up tiny victories to be something massive? Pride comes before a fall and all that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dude55)
    Today, everytime I read the sports section of any newspaper it's just full of the most biased crap I have ever seen. I dont understand why one tiny English victory is always blown up by the media to be something massive? Normally all they're doing is building England up, for them only to fall again later. Why do we persist with this? For example, the Ashes is on at the moment and on EVERY advert promoting the Ashes this summer it is either footage from 2005 (when england won) or it is an aussie batsmen being bowled or an aussie bowler being hit for 6? England seem to live in the past? We so sweetly ignore the 2007 ashes where we got hammered 5-0?

Why? And your views.

sorry for the long post
    btw its not really a long post

i dont see your point, english people obviously want to hear about english victories, its the same in spain italy etc.

why would the bbc, the british broadcasting corporation, put on adverts about england losing to aus?

every nation is patriotic.

ReputationRep:
    If you compare English patriotism to American, then no, its not too much.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly. It's sport. It's not real even patriotism, any more than a Manchester United fan is a Mancunian Patriot, it's just backing a team. Patriotism is more significant than that. Of course people are going to celebrate their team's victories rather than its defeats.

(Original post by orangeboy)
    What you describe, I hope this a continuation in every sport and other cultural festivities and hopefully St George's day becoming a bank holiday.
    There'd be some case for making St George's Day a bank holiday if the average Englishman gave a toss about it.

ReputationRep:
    Because it would be hideous if whenever you picked up a newspaper, or turned on the news it just said 'Well there's some stuff going on in the world but there's no point knowing about it because our nation will just **** it up in the end. Oh, and by the way, we don't have an Empire anymore.'

I actually think the English lack partiotism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    btw its not really a long post

i dont see your point, english people obviously want to hear about english victories, its the same in spain italy etc.

why would the bbc, the british broadcasting corporation, put on adverts about england losing to aus?

every nation is patriotic.
    Im not saying people shouldnt be proud to be english, i just think we sometimes take it too far and almost lie to ourselves or try and evade the truth or stretch it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm willing to argue that there isn't enough patriotism in this country.

ReputationRep:
    yes it is

We have way less patriotism in this country than other countries...

It's because we hardly ever achieve good sporting achievements that we are proud :rolleyes:

You must be joking. There's no patriotism in England any more; the fuss made about us winning some sport is the closest we ever get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dude55)

Why? And your views.

sorry for the long post
    Because showing England getting walloped by an Aussie spin bowler doesn't make a good advert promo you dummy. Do you really think Foxsports in Australia show Australian batsmen going for a duck on their cricket promos?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guy_incognito)
    Because showing England getting walloped by an Aussie spin bowler doesn't make a good advert promo you dummy. Do you really think Foxsports in Australia show Australian batsmen going for a duck on their cricket promos?
    You have taken what I've said way to literally. Im not suggesting we all start hating ourselves and not be proud to be british but just tone it down a little with some of our over the top patriotism. I dont like seeing england beaten but the truth is the truth at the end of the day.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.