Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ideas, please? As Dentistry is going to be the basis of my personal statement, would a 5th choice in engineering be ridiculous/stupid? Or would you say something like Biomedical Sciences is a wiser choice? What are you going to pick?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do Dentistry, leave it blank.

You can reapply the following year if you miss the cut.

ReputationRep:
    Ditto.

If you 100% want to do medicine it's pointless selecting anything else, and anyway a dentistry PS would mean you would probably be rejected.

As dentistry is so competitive, you wouldn't be able to include engineering on your PS because it would waste precious space.

ReputationRep:
    My sister applied for medicine with her 5th choice being chemical engineering, for which she got an unconditional. So the idea is not completely ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I might as well pick a fifth choice? With Newcastle, if I do Biodmedical Sciences (if didn't get into dentistry) I have heard you can transfer to Medicine/Dentsitry after the first year permitting on good results in exams. Why would I leave 5th choice blank, I'm not going to wait another year.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine just for the lolz. Why wouldn't you wait another year?

ReputationRep:
    Mine was medical science at edinburgh seemed as good as any other I suppose :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to the above trash saying leave it empty. Stick whatever you want in it, just don't leave it blank. At worst, they reject you and at best they give you an offer. Your not paying any more or any less by putting it down, it would disadvantage your application in anyway and all it takes is a few mins, so do it.

Personally, I wouldn't go for engineering but something more science related.

ReputationRep:
    Biomedical Science???

ReputationRep:
    you never heard of that? it's a real course, i'm sure of it.

ReputationRep:
    Hii (:
    I applied for dentistry at Newcastle and my fifth choice was Biomedical Sciences (deferred entry) there too. I got an offer for both, it didn't affect my application at all. I didn't mention Biomed at all in my PS. They asked me about it at the dentistry interview and I just said it gave me another option. Deferring to dentistry after starting Biomed is even more competitive so I just made out that I was willing to do whatever to get into dentistry. They thought it was fine. :/ So you might as well choose it, just for a backup. ^^ Hope that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    put whatever you want down if you see yourself doing it if you dont get into dentistry. it will not risk your dental application but it may have impacts on the 5th/6th choice if you apply with a dentistry personal statement

ReputationRep:
    I did 3 dentistry, 1 electronic & electrical engineering (at edinburgh), 1 medicine (as a joke really, didn't want to do med ). Got a prompt unconditional for the engineering, would have considered to take it if I was rejected by dentistry. I didn't consider doing a biomed course; not spending 9 years to become a qualified dentist...

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    you don't need to have a back-up, if you really wanna be a dentist just use 4 and reapply if you don't get in.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.