Turn on thread page Beta

Has a stranger tried to photo/film you in public? watch

ReputationRep:
    Today I was waiting at the bus-stop when a middle aged South Asian man on Tooting High Street pointed his phone in my direction. I wondered what he was doing and then it struck me that he was filming something. Now, because his phone was pointing in my direction, I began to feel very uneasy and I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid, but I felt as though he was filming me. I moved out of his view and he moved his phone towards me once again. When he realized I had noticed he turned the phone around and I saw him reviewing footage. So, I quickly turned around and walked to the next bus stop. I got on a bus and later realised he had got on the same bus when I saw him exiting a few stops later.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Has a stranger tried to photograph/film you? Is this even legal? I wondered about this because so many people take photos of buildings with 1/2 the head of a stranger in their tourist shots. What if someone is purposefully filming a person? Is consent required from the person being filmed?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, unfortunately it is legal and there is nothing you can really do.

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly legal :/

ReputationRep:
    I think you should've walked up to him and asked him what he was doing if you were sure he was filming you. I wouldn't have let him walk away with that video on his phone without asking him what he was doing if i were you...Creepy :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it's legal otherwise paparazzi wouldn't exist. But yeah, I can't imagine it's very nice...

It's never happened to me, thankfully.

ReputationRep:
    In Italy, was scary.

ReputationRep:
    Yep... one evening when I was on holiday with my parents in Florida last year, we were sitting at the bus stop when a storm began. We were dressed in shorts and t-shirts and all we had with us was our stuff we'd taken to Disneyland, so out came the ponchos. Mine was orange, my mum's was yellow and my dad's was blue, and they were all bright neon colours that covered us completely except our faces. There was a car that drove past, and we saw the woman in the passenger seat pointing and laughing at us. A few minutes later they drove past again and she had a camera phone pointing at us... they went past another time after that too, so we must have been a sight.

That's it though.

ReputationRep:
    Someone did it to me on the underground before.
    They were trying to make it look like they were aiming the camera at something else by holding it at an angle, but I could see in the reflection from the window behind him that I was in shot. I gave a filthy look and moved.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, someone did that to me once. A middle aged guy in a bar was pretending to take photos of his gf/wife and he kept taking the same photo at a similar angle again and again so I looked over and he was pointing the camera at me instead of his partner. It was bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    Yes :mad: Some creep filmed me running. And several taken pictures walking down the street.

Aparently it's not illegal.

ReputationRep:
    I often get photographed by strangers in work (I'm a waitress) but i wear the stupidest uniform ever so that's probably why.

ReputationRep:
    Just starting filming them back.
    Freaks them out and youv got evidence if they start harassing you or some ****..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    Just starting filming them back.
    Freaks them out and youv got evidence if they start harassing you or some ****..

Wow! good advice, I should have done that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    I'm sure it's legal otherwise paparazzi wouldn't exist. But yeah, I can't imagine it's very nice...

It's never happened to me, thankfully.
    It isn't the nicest thing in the world to get followed by paps, but it's a little different to some middle aged men videoing young girls for no reason other than presumably perving. Paparazzi are doing their job and the people they follow aren't some randomer down the street.

This sort of thing should definitely be illegal. How do you know they won't try and find you on facebook or something when you get home and track you down that way? They can arrest people for taking photos of buildings if they think they're planning terrorism I think so why not this?

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me a few times. The strangest time was when I was waiting for the train at Windsor. There were a lot of Japanese tourists about and well, a middle-aged Japanese man had his camera in my direction. I started to get paranoid, so I moved. His camera moved too. That gave me the creeps. So I just turned and started to walk away, fast :p:

Yeah, sometimes. It's an occupational hazard of performing in public.

ReputationRep:
    A girl asked me to pose for a photograph when I was in Camden once.... of course I obliged hehe.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, It happened to me once or twice, but I tried to avoid 'em like giving 'em my back and such lol, it was funny xD!
    I felt like a celeb, but still, Creepy!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's happened a couple of times. Most interesting time was when a group of 12yo boys took a pic of my boobs when I was on the train.

ReputationRep:
    I was walking down the stairs to the toilets at a bar, at the bottom I turned into the corridor leading to the mens and a girl standing at the very end took a photo, although I think she was probably as surprised as I was since she must have pressed the button to take the photo before I actually got to the bottom.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.