Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has a stranger tried to photo/film you in public? watch

ReputationRep:
    yeah its happened twice, once at the gym by some chav and once in town at the german market, but we kinda deserved that. i think he was photgraphing us for proof or sumat..ha

ReputationRep:
    That is very creepy!

I remember once when I was in 8th grade, we went on a class trip to Washington D.C. We were at some memorial and I got lost, but there was some teenage guy around 17 or 18 maybe? Andd he was taking photos of me and was following me. I was scared! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, I'm pretty sure a girl thought I was doing exactly this once in the library. Had my phone held high typing out a text with both hands, the camera lens was covered with my hand but that side of the phone was toward her. I saw from my peripheral vision that she was looking at me weird. So self-conscious some people are. Still regret not putting the thing down and asking if there was a problem.

Anyway I suspect that you guys need something like this, but mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachykeen09)
    That is very creepy!

I remember once when I was in 8th grade, we went on a class trip to Washington D.C. We were at some memorial and I got lost, but there was some teenage guy around 17 or 18 maybe? Andd he was taking photos of me and was following me. I was scared! :yep:
    Someone probably did the same to the guy in your sig !
    Maybe 'your cute' ?

ReputationRep:
    Only when in fancy dress for a uni night out, or when volunteering. Oh, and today I got a few photos taken after I completed the Race for Life because they liked my t-shirt.

ReputationRep:
    My mates and I were playing football where we live and someone started filming us. We just jokingly said, 'oh he must be a scout'. He must like amateur football so fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surely_unsure)

Has this happened to anyone else before? Has a stranger tried to photograph/film you? Is this even legal? I wondered about this because so many people take photos of buildings with 1/2 the head of a stranger in their tourist shots. What if someone is purposefully filming a person? Is consent required from the person being filmed?
    I was at a metal festival in Slovenia not too long ago, I was wasted and wearing a (Borat) mankini and walking around with some girl. My friend phoned me a few days later to tell me that there is a video of it on youtube. I found it quite funny, but would be annoyed if it happened just on the street.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah some weirdo in Berlin

ReputationRep:
    A guy said, "If I had a camera, I'd take your photo."

ReputationRep:
    yuss, i was in rome lmao
    some japanese tourists
    i was like :O
    and then my mate tried to save me, but apparently he wasn't wanted in the photos
    it was quite odd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    Someone probably did the same to the guy in your sig !
    Maybe 'your cute' ?
    Erm but the difference is he's a celebrity and I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachykeen09)
    Erm but the difference is he's a celebrity and I'm not.
    What if the photo made you famous? Is it okay then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by questionsquestions)
    It isn't the nicest thing in the world to get followed by paps, but it's a little different to some middle aged men videoing young girls for no reason other than presumably perving. Paparazzi are doing their job and the people they follow aren't some randomer down the street.
    This sort of thing should definitely be illegal. How do you know they won't try and find you on facebook or something when you get home and track you down that way? They can arrest people for taking photos of buildings if they think they're planning terrorism I think so why not this?
    Yeh, I wasn't denying that I was answering the OP's question as to whether or not it was legal to photograph strangers. My reasoning was that it must be legal seeing as paps photograph strangers everyday.

ReputationRep:
    No but that's not the case so...

ReputationRep:
    That would assume it was being taken by someone other than your average perv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Yeh, I wasn't denying that I was answering the OP's question as to whether or not it was legal to photograph strangers. My reasoning was that it must be legal seeing as paps photograph strangers everyday.
    Sorry, yes. Was just using your post as a step to giving my views overall

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.