Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should foreign students be taking more university places? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So you believe that other countries shouldn't accept british students as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    You'll have those on the nationalist side saying "British universities for British students"...
    But is it always a nationalist side? Some people view university as a means of having a well paid graduate job that gives a benefit to society, in their own view, which makes degrees like economics and law desirable, hence the likes of classics get stamped on. With that in mind, do international students, paying full fees, and study the supposedly more 'beneficial' subjects, really contribute to society if they are to return to their own country? I don't subscribe to this view though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlosb)
    Don't say that. You'll upset the HYPSM fan club.

ReputationRep:
    Countries are out to "look after their own". Most, if not all, should be charging fees that at least cover the cost. Unless you feel countries should be all things to all people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Countries are out to "look after their own". Most, if not all, should be charging fees that at least cover the cost. Unless you feel countries should be all things to all people?
    What I'm saying is that it's emigration is something natural and normal. And other countries receive English students, just as England receive students from other countries. But why should they just charge fees to cover the costs to immigrants?

ReputationRep:
    What I'm saying is that it's emigration is something natural and normal. And other countries receive English students, just as England receive students from other countries. But why should they just charge fees to cover the costs to immigrants?
    Perhaps social housing should be allocated on a global demand basis? Because pragmatism isn't my strong point :rolleyes: And I'm not a taxpayer :rolleyes: Ideals :rolleyes: Let's save the world :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    to b fair if theres more foreign students could then be said, there will be less competition for jobs between home students as most foreign students will return home.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps social housing should be allocated on a global demand basis? Because pragmatism isn't my strong point :rolleyes: And I'm not a taxpayer :rolleyes: Ideals :rolleyes: Let's save the world :rolleyes:
    Who said anything about social housing? As far as I'm concerned, students don't go to England to live in social houses.

ReputationRep:
    I think that British Unis should accept any student that had good enough grades and Ignore if they are foreign what does it matter. I doubt the cut will create such an impact and the government is trying to encourage people to get back to education so they arent going to stop that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    I think that British Unis should accept any student that had good enough grades and Ignore if they are foreign what does it matter. I doubt the cut will create such an impact and the government is trying to encourage people to get back to education so they arent going to stop that.
    Answer me this: have you at any point in your life paid tax from money you've worked for? If so, are you happy to subsidise the degrees of foreingers because of some "hip" idea of "fairness"?

ReputationRep:
    Answer me this: have you at any point in your life paid tax from money you've worked for? If so, are you happy to subsidise the degrees of foreingers because of some "hip" idea of "fairness"?
    In my opinion, its not about fairness, it's about the type of education. I'm an American, about to study in England, so I'm obviously biased, but I think to keep foreigners out of British higher education would put EVERYONE studying there at a disadvantage. We're living in a world that is more interconnected every day. We should be clamoring to attract people from all over the world into our classrooms, global perspective is absolutely essential in today's workplace (in most disciplines).

This is actually surprising to hear, since international composition is always a huge selling point at American universities. Of course, the best universities in the U.S. are private, so the different tuition rates are not an issue (everyone spends the same fortune on their education ), but the idea that international students add to the quality of education for EVERYONE is pretty universally accepted.

ReputationRep:
    I have paid tax since i was 16 (21 now) until i lost my job in april. Im happy for forenigners to study here. Its not hip idea of fairness its just fair to keep britian accepting people from other countrys because they want an education.

ReputationRep:
    I have paid tax since i was 16 (21 now) until i lost my job in april. Im happy for forenigners to study here. Its not hip idea of fairness its just fair to keep britian accepting people from other countrys because they want an education.

So the British taxpayer should be subsidising the uni education of rich arabs, americans, african princes and the like? Do you realise that other people are bearing the cost of this? Would you fund my pub crawl? Afterall, you've funded your own, isn't it fair to fund mine?

ReputationRep:
    So the British taxpayer should be subsidising the uni education of rich arabs, americans, african princes and the like? Do you realise that other people are bearing the cost of this? Would you fund my pub crawl? Afterall, you've funded your own, isn't it fair to fund mine?
    How are other people bearing the cost of this exaclty are you paying for it.

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing against people coming over here to study/live or whatever, but if there are too many, then it means that people who are from this country are being denied the opportunity to study in there own country. I think that people have more of a right to study in their own country than people who come from other countries. I must stress that I have nothing against foreign people studying here

ReputationRep:
    How are other people bearing the cost of this exaclty are you paying for it.
    Please select one:

1) Foreign students should bear the cost of their education

2) The Brtish taxpayer should subsidise the education of foreigners

Thank you
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    So, how much money does the taxpayer contribute to foreign students' educations? Do you even have any idea? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Please select one:

Thank you
    Why can't it be both? The government subsidizes things that they think are desirable. If they think that international student bodies are desirable (and as I mentioned, they should think this), then they SHOULD subsidize their educations. However, since that subsidization comes from British people, foreigners should pay more than British citizens (which is exactly what happens). You shouldn't TRY to price them out, though, they make a valuable contribution.

By the way, British people who study in America, for example, are subsidized in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    So, how much money does the taxpayer contribute to foreign students' educations? Do you even have any idea? :rolleyes:
    Please reply to my post above

ReputationRep:
    Please select one:

Thank you
    A bit of both tbh, Whats the big deal everyone is entilted to an education and if someone from another country wishes to study here then they should be allowed to and helped a little.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.