(Original post by Fusion)
    Please reply to my post above
    How about, you reply to mine first. K.

ReputationRep:
    these posts are getting a bit fighty lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    How about, you reply to mine first. K.
    I don't know how much profit/loss international students are responsible for. My question is, based on heavily subsidised Medical degrees according to a Medic, can you please reply to post 36? Either arabs etc should be subsidised or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    I don't know how much profit/loss international students are responsible for. My question is, based on heavily subsidised Medical degrees according to a Medic, can you please reply to post 36? Either arabs etc should be subsidised or not?
    YES! They contribute to everyone's education! Why are you ignoring me?!? And lots of us americans aren't "rich" by any stretch of the imagination. I guess if you are dealing with these caricatures of yours, it makes more sense to be isolationist, but keeping foreigners out would be detrimental to the UK overall.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Each FTE non-EU student brings a net cash benefit of about £17,900 per year

Each FTE non-EU student brings a fiscal benefit of about £1,000 per year

Each FTE non-EU student (averaged across all students, whether or not they work subsequent to graduation) makes a contribution to GDP of about £5,500 per year.

Source:
    The Economic Costs and Benefits of
    International Students
    Phil Vickers and Bahram Bekhradnia
    Higher Education Policy Institute
    July 2007

ReputationRep:
    Okay. But you still haven't answered my question, which was asking whether foreigners degrees should be subsidised or not, by the UK taxpayer? Whether they are or not at present is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Each FTE non-EU student brings a net cash benefit of about £17,900 per year

Each FTE non-EU student brings a fiscal benefit of about £1,000 per year

Each FTE non-EU student (averaged across all students, whether or not they work subsequent to graduation) makes a contribution to GDP of about £5,500 per year.

Source:
    The Economic Costs and Benefits of
    International Students
    Phil Vickers and Bahram Bekhradnia
    Higher Education Policy Institute
    July 2007

Reply to post above please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    everyone is entilted to an education
    Even if that is the case, that's not synonymous with the idea that everyone is entitled to an education in the UK subsidised by the taxpayer.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wasn't there a report a while ago about how international students are starting to become disenchanted with higher education in the UK? They spoke about rising fees and how the quality of the education seemed to be dropping, making them look elsewhere.

To be honest, I think it's important that higher education in the UK has an international feel to it, and an active international student body. The only way ahead - without burdening tax payers - is for students themselves to pay for their education. We really need tuition fees to increase if we want to have a world-class higher education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Wasn't there a report a while ago about how international students are starting to become disenchanted with higher education in the UK? They spoke about rising fees and how the quality of the education seemed to be dropping, making them look elsewhere.
    Possibly but even home students have questioned its worth whilst I have been thinking of going abroad some time during formal education for a postgraduate course (Tokyo, Berkeley and British Columbia). I'm not sure whether rising the fees will make things all rosy and dandy. Most people who I have come across who advocate for a rise in fees are more worried about their institution not being as high as the Ivies in America in world league tables than their purpose of educating the citizens of the country.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am aware there are no current quota restrictions on the number of foreign non EU students allowed to take up places in UK universities, and if it is the intention of the UK government to reduce the amount of grant funding to UK universities, then it will mean either raising tuition fees substantially (which is quite likely) or increasing the intake of foreign non EU students to the extent that they would be the majority group in the student body (10 -15 years), or indeed a combination of these two options. I think this would be a bad situation for the country if foreign students are allowed to out number home students at university. Deserving school leavers will be denied a university place by foreign students taking them and eventually over time more employers will be turning to the foreign students who graduate here to fill the well paid jobs available. It is well known that one of the reasons that foreign students come here is because it is a back door route to a good UK job but consequently displaces home grown UK candidates who remain unemployed and thus economically inactive. Foreigners want our educational opportunities and jobs but despise our tolerance, which is our down fall. So this can not be right!:mad:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Why do you have such an axe to grind about this? You were already going on about this a couple of months ago in a near-identical thread, if I remember correctly.

ReputationRep:
    British students should come before foregin students IN EVERY CASE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Why do you have such an axe to grind about this? You were already going on about this a couple of months ago in a near-identical thread, if I remember correctly.
    This is now a very topical subject and so why shouldn't I raise it? A moderator should not be stifling debate.:yes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jamjar)
    This is now a very topical subject and so why shouldn't I raise it? A moderator should not be stifling debate.:yes:
    I'm not "stifling debate" at all, I'm only wondering whether debate is really what you're after.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not "stifling debate" at all, I'm only wondering whether debate is really what you're after.
    What are you saying? You doubt my integrity?:mad:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Irrespective of whether Jamjar is after a debate or not, this topic would indeed make for a very interesting one (providing it was moderated accordingly).

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of the very worst universities, diverting more money to vocational schemes like apprenticeships and massively increasing funding to top research universities, eliminating the need to take mainly foreign students.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Irrespective of whether Jamjar is after a debate or not, this topic would indeed make for a very interesting one (providing it was moderated accordingly).
    What exactly do you mean by "moderated accordingly"? Are you saying someone should monitor it and keep deleting all the baiting, ill-informed, nationalist and/or stereotype-ridden drivel which is bound to crop up in such a thread?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What exactly do you mean by "moderated accordingly"? Are you saying someone should monitor it and keep deleting all the baiting, ill-informed, nationalist and/or stereotype-ridden drivel which is bound to crop up in such a thread?
    Well, my fear in such a debate is that it would digress very quickly onto something more racist or xenophobic, completely ignoring the original topic at hand.

Obviously though moderation would need to be impartial. :p: So one would have to also remove all posts which are internationalist in outlook but don't stick to the topic at hand.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.