Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you agree with this ranking of the world's countries? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    We have to "pay" for the NHS you know.
    Obviously, but it's not as difficult (for the lack of a better word) paying in the form of tax as it is paying for each hospital/doctor visit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    I just graduated from the best public school in England, I am heading off to a top ten university in the United States, and I got a National scholarship for being in the best 2500 students in the US. In contrast you just put up a front of intellect and superiority that you cannot sustain - and you know it so you don't back up what you say with any facts.
    YAWN.......

allow to correct your post....

(Original post by dn013)
    On this internet forum I anonymously claim that I just graduated from the best public school in England, On this internet forum I anonymously claim that I am heading off to a top ten university in the United States, and On this internet forum I anonymously claim that I got a National scholarship for being in the best 2500 students in the US. .
    hey watch, I can do the same ......

On this internet forum I anonymously claim that I have a first from Cambridge, with a year spent at MIT.... I have a masters and a PHD ( both from camb.) I am fluent in 6 languages, including pygmy. I have a black belt in carpet weaving, I can talk to the animals and I can resurrect the dead.... I would mention the ability to part oceans, but that would just be showing off ........

get the picture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SovietRussiaFH)
    I mean; In terms of their general standard of living, from best to worst:

1. United States
    2. Canada
    3. Australia
    4. Israel
    5. Japan
    6. New Zealand
    7. Channel Islands
    8. Falkland Islands
    9. South Africa
    10. Britain
    11. All European countries
    12. Rest of World

That's pretty much how I'd put it.
    No, I don't agree with this... I think Japan should be much nearer the top, possibly even number 1: does it not have the highest life expectancy out of the countries that you mentioned? I don't think that USA should be number one at all. I also disagree with Britain only being number 10, especially when you have put the Falkland Islands at number 8... And you have glossed over countries like France, Iceland, Spain, Norway etc, putting them at number 11...Sould France not be ranked higher than that? I definitely disagree with it being at number 11 whilst the USA is number 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    YAWN.......

allow to correct your post....

hey watch, I can do the same ......

On this internet forum I anonymously claim that I have a first from Cambridge, with a year spent at MIT.... I have a masters and a PHD ( both from camb.) I am fluent in 6 languages, including pygmy. I have a black belt in carpet weaving, I can talk to the animals and I can resurrect the dead.... I would mention the ability to part oceans, but that would just be showing off ........

get the picture?
    Haha fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EMck)
    United arab emerites? ? are they not a country filled with billionaires?France? is way better than britian
    germany? too
    holland as well!
    North korea? no wiat no one knows lol
    Italy as well
    albania and macedonia are european countries they are no where near as good as cuba, bahamhas etc. . . . .
    get a world map do some more travelling and come up with a better order!
    You'd be surprised to learn of the reality in UAE. Having lived there for 3 years, I can tell you the infrastructure is awful (they don't have a sewage system, trucks come and suck poo out of the corner of streets every morning). The human rights are practically non-existant, their justice system is crazy. For the small population of UAE nationals that actually live there, are having to suffer with the invasion of western expats taking over the heritage and culture. For the expats that are there, basically have no rights at all. Doesn't matter if you're a top banker or a construction labourer, if they want they can send you back home for no reason before you can say UAE :rolleyes: Good quality of life? I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millyshyn)
    Obviously, but it's not as difficult (for the lack of a better word) paying in the form of tax as it is paying for each hospital/doctor visit.
    Good job most Americans have insurance then and don't have to pay per visit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    Haha fail.
    oooh hardly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    37 million is just over a tenth of the US population, therefore about 85% of Americans live in a condition better than the average UK living standard.
    Obviously the average Briton lives just above the poverty line. :dry:

Not to mention the fact that the UK has a poverty figure somewhere close to 10%.
    Yes; poverty levels are about the same in the UK and USA.

(Original post by dn013)
    I just graduated from the best public school in blah blah blah
    Nobody cares.

(Original post by trm90)
    I'd put Norway/Sweden first. They are really underrated countries which, in my opinion, are way ahead of everyone else.
    Not Sweden so much, but Norway consistently comes almost top of the Human Development Index rankings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    37 million is just over a tenth of the US population, therefore about 85% of Americans live in a condition better than the average UK living standard. Not to mention the fact that the UK has a poverty figure somewhere close to 10%.
    37million would be over half our population, the gap between rich and poor is usa is massive, and they fact they have more people paying taxes, and don't have to pay for a across the bored free health care, and social protection is not as open as our, but i won't call them number 1

yeah we have about 13 million now, the crazy sat of 1in 4 children grow up in poverty in this country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Obviously the entire British population lives just above the poverty line. :dry:

Yes; poverty levels are about the same in the UK and USA.

Nobody cares.

Not Sweden so much, but Norway consistently comes almost top of the Human Development Index rankings.
    The graduation **** wasnt intended for you guys it was at the guy who insulted the OP without stating a case and then declared that he was more intelligent than I was.

Obviously the entire British population does not live just above the poverty line, but middle class America has a better quality of living than middle class Britain.

Personally I agree that Scandinavian countries have a better quality of living than any other region - but that does not mean I would like to live there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SovietRussiaFH)
    I mean; In terms of their general standard of living, from best to worst:

1. Japan
    2. Canada
    3. Australia
    4. Norway
    5. UK
    6. New Zealand
    7. Italy
    8. France
    9. Germany
    10. USA
    11. All European countries
    12. Rest of World

That's pretty much how I'd put it.
    I agree with this one slightly more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    Obviously the entire British population does not live just above the poverty line, but middle class America has a better quality of living than middle class Britain.
    If you meant to say that, why didn't you? Your conclusion did not lead from your premise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    37million would be over half our population, the gap between rich and poor is usa is massive, and they fact they have more people paying taxes, and don't have to pay for a across the bored free health care, and social protection is not as open as our, but i won't call them number 1

yeah we have about 7.7 million, or could just be under 10 million now, the crazy sat of 1in 4 children grow up in poverty in this country
    But the fact that the US has over 300 million citizens compared to the UK's 77 (I think it about that) million citizens means that everything in the States is on a much larger scale. The US does have a healthcare problem - a big one - but the NHS is not flawless by any stretch of the imagination. And if we are going into the whole tax issue, then the fact that UK public debt has surged some way past 40% means that future British governments will have to raise taxes to pay off the debt - further reducing quality of living in the UK.

There are problems with both countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    If you meant to say that, why didn't you? Your conclusion did not lead from your premise.
    That is because I was not making a structured argument I was just replying to each of your comments one at a time. (I don't know how to break up quotes so that I can talk about separate points.)

My conclusion is perfectly valid. If you are moderately wealthy the USA, UK, Australia, France, Germany, Spain, South Africa all offer better standards of living than Scandinavian countries. But the average standard of living in Norway, Sweden, and Finland is better than that of the above named countries.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people ranking Japan like in the top 5? :confused: I agree with it being one of the best, maybe top 10, definately top 15. Are people aware that Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world? The quality of life for the japanese is extremely stressful, they're just working machines...slaves to Japan's capitalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    But the fact that the US has over 300 million citizens compared to the UK's 77 (I think it about that) million citizens means that everything in the States is on a much larger scale. The US does have a healthcare problem - a big one - but the NHS is not flawless by any stretch of the imagination. And if we are going into the whole tax issue, then the fact that UK public debt has surged some way past 40% means that future British governments will have to raise taxes to pay off the debt - further reducing quality of living in the UK.

There are problems with both countries.
    not going to say the NHS is flawless, there are issue that need to be ironed out
    USA health care is messed up, so many fingers in so many pies

debt has gain, you think we have it bad, i think the usa stand at about $11 trillion, its not all good
    tax won't really rise, unpopular move by any government , cost of stuff like smoking and drinking will be hit for us, as its easy, public spending that will face the cut

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C++Hacker)
    Why are people ranking Japan like in the top 5? :confused: I agree with it being one of the best, maybe top 10, definitely top 15. Are people aware that Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world? The quality of life for the japanese is extremely stressful, they're just working machines...slaves to Japan's capitalism.
    I thought that the suicide was a cultural issue? As in Asian men often believe that suicide is the honorable action after failure - us Westerners do not have that philosophy and so would hopefully not commit suicide because of failure if we moved to Japan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C++Hacker)
    Why are people ranking Japan like in the top 5? :confused: I agree with it being one of the best, maybe top 10, definately top 15.
    There's very little to choose between the countries at the top.

Are people aware that Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world?
    No it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    not going to say the NHS is flawless, there are issue that need to be ironed out
    USA health care is messed up, so many fingers in so many pies

debt has gain, you think we have it bad, i think the usa stand at about $11 trillion, its not all good
    tax won't really rise, unpopular move by any government , cost of stuff like smoking and drinking will be hit for us, as its easy, public spending that will face the cut
    As a proportion of GDP UK debt is much worse than US debt - as most public investment into hospitals and schools is not officially recorded as public debt by Labour. If public spending is cut than that would hit the standard of living worse than if taxes were raised because the NHS and State schools will not be able to operate at maximum efficiency.

ReputationRep:
    some say it will rise to £2 trillion, cuts won't really come in important area that are election makers, education, NHS, the army will feel the pain, and other areas, that people don't really care enough to vote on, to be fair we are coming into a election year, well up to May next year, these sort of issue will be hot, everyone saying that will not cut, or your going to cut more, we won't cut this, main parties will be very careful on these matters, our standard of living is not that bad compared to the whole world, we don't have it the best, but we are no means bad

on the Japan stuff they still flirting with negative inflation?
    Japanese 3 month inflation is 0.41%.

Unfortunately for Labor people are becoming more aware of the lack of spending on defense because of the recent deaths in Afghanistan and the Helicopter row. But no significant economic policy shifts can occur until after the election, that is when either Labor or, more probably, the Conservatives will cut Public Spending in areas people do not like - healthcare and education.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.