Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ok, so i have a two year old cousin who was at my house, we were upstairs then he ran out the room and towards the stairs before i could get to him he plummeted down...he was crying, my mum and his dad were screaming at me and i felt like dying...
    anyway he went to the hospital and he has a fractured shoulder i feel so guilty like it's my fault and am on the verge of tears anytime anyone talks about him....what should i do? i can't take the guilt and keep thinking about what could have happend....
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Don't blame yourself, there wasn't much you could do once he ran out. Close the door next time :p:

ReputationRep:
    Always remember that accidents do happen.

ReputationRep:
    Your parents are only angry because they are upset. Try talking to them later.

ReputationRep:
    it'l be fine. not your fault. have a cry if u need to but dont let it get you really down.
    as said before, accidents do happen. x

ReputationRep:
    It's not your fault. Children will be children, and they ALWAYS hurt themselves. It's natural for his parents to be upset, but when they've calmed down, it may be worth explaining to them that there was nothing you could have done. But please try and put the incident behind you - he won't remember it, and there shouldn't be any lasting damage. Things like this happen all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy's Willy)
    Always remember that accidents do happen.
    Accidents do happen but my cousin already had a problems and hes very fragile so everybodys more protective making me feel worse :-(

Hey. This does not sound like it is your fault! Dont worry about it..

i used to wind my little brother up so much he stopped breathing
    That is a lot worse!

ReputationRep:
    He only has a fractured shoulder. Nobody blames you. He will be OK and it'll be something the family laughs about during future Christmas dinners.

(He did not die btw!)

ReputationRep:
    Don't blame yourself!
    It may be a generalisation, but children are clumsy, and as hard as you try, you can't watch them ALL of the time.

Just don't be so hard on yourself

ReputationRep:
    When my nephew was also around two, i was in a childrens soft play area looking after him, there was high barriers so i picked him up and carried him over to where he wanted to play. Another little girl on like a little kids trike, ran into the back of me while i was carrying him. I flew forwards, i ended up like throwing my nephew into the soft play area so he didn't hit the floor/i didn't crush him. His mum and dad were about a 100metres a way - they heard the screams. They went mad at me, luckily for me he never hurt himself badly somehow and all is forgotten...
    It happens to everyone/most people at some stage i'm guessing.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i don't think he'll run down a staircase again...

ReputationRep:
    It's natural for you to feel guilty but that doesn't mean that it was your fault. From your post it sounds like you did everything that you could to stop it from happening. The parents were probably only angry because they were worried about their child, the likelyhood is that in a few days they will calm down a bit.

Do you have anyone that you can talk through with what happened? Maybe a friend as that might help you to deal with what has happend (because it has probably shaken you up a fair amount).

Things will hopefully calm down soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    It's natural for you to feel guilty but that doesn't mean that it was your fault. From your post it sounds like you did everything that you could to stop it from happening. The parents were probably only angry because they were worried about their child, the likelyhood is that in a few days they will calm down a bit.

Do you have anyone that you can talk through with what happened? Maybe a friend as that might help you to deal with what has happend (because it has probably shaken you up a fair amount).

Things will hopefully calm down soon.
    i wish i did hav some1 to talk to but i'm a only child nd i can't get hold of my best friend thats why started this thread

ReputationRep:
    It isn't your fault, you did what you could and what was expected. What where you supposed to do, predict his actions like something out of minority report?

No, of course not!

Kids have accidents all the time and they have a tremendous ability to bounce back. So, whilst the guilt you feel is natural (I'd feel guilty also) just remember it wasn't your fault and they have no right to blow a fuse on you.

Hope you feel better soon.

ReputationRep:
    It's good for them - prepares them for later life.

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't be human if you didn't feel guilty.
    Just take it as a lesson to be more precautious with little kids next time, around hot things, plugs, and stairs. Close the door next time and always keep an eye on him.
    Go have a mug of hot chocolate and curl up with a book/film to try and take your mind off it.

ReputationRep:
    It was just an accident. They do happen and it isn't your fault. Don't keep on thinking about what could have happened, just remember that it didn't and he is going to be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    He only has a fractured shoulder. Nobody blames you. He will be OK and it'll be something the family laughs about during future Christmas dinners.
    No, no decent family will ever laugh at a 2 year old who fell down the stairs. Anyway, accidents do happen as people have said and just make sure to be extra careful in the future.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.