Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Same old story, couple going to different universities! watch

Announcements

Hey all, I know this has been posted 100 times, but I'd still like any idea's tailored to my situation.

This story follows the same theme that most of these threads follow, myself and my girlfriend are potentially going to different universities this October/September, and I'm trying to find a way to either avoid this outcome, or ease it in this eventuality.

My offers are from ICL and Warwick (firm and insurance respectively) to study Compsci
    Her's are from LSE and Cardiff (firm, insurance as above) to study Law

The original plan was to end up in London together, and grades permitting, that would have been fine until a couple of weeks ago. Recently, she has really gone off the idea of going to London and has come up with many reasons not to go. Without being too possessive and dismissive of her opinions, these reasons do not seem strong enough to turn down LSE and go to Cardiff instead in my opinion.

We've both always been pushed to get to the best uni's we could and it has come as quite a shock that she no longer want's to go, not to mention put quite a hurdle in front of me.

I had an offer from Cardiff but declined it, this poses the question as to whether or not they would want me even if I was to decline my choices in favor of Cardiff. Also, what impact would going to Cardiff have on my job prospects? would i struggle to get the jobs that I'd maybe be able to get in London coming out of Cardiff?

Another problem that has arisen is that she is going in to study Law, however, the close we get to going to uni, the more adamant she becomes that she doesn't want to do law anymore, she want to peruse midwifery.

As I've said above, I know stories like this are posted frequently, but I'm desperately seeking and solutions or advice that could be offered.

We've been together for just over a year now and it would kill me if we were to be torn apart by this, it's so hard to try and find some way that everything can work out!

Excuse the long story, but any suggestions or help would be much appreciated!!

Many thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.