Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

Got to go for a sigmoidoscopy at the hospital tomorrow, and I'm getting a little anxious about it now!

I've had chronic diarrhoea for 9 months now, and they're trying to find out what's causing it.

I have to give myself an enema tomorrow before they do it, and I'm just getting quite nervous, which frankly, isn't going to help with the stomach cramps and the runs!

I've just found out that my partner can't come with me either! Bad times

Any kind words to help calm me down?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Is there a friend you can ask to go with you? I know its not the nicest proceedure but a good friend will understand. Just think, this might be the beggining of the end to your health promblems. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_louise)
    Is there a friend you can ask to go with you? I know its not the nicest proceedure but a good friend will understand. Just think, this might be the beggining of the end to your health promblems. Best of luck.
    I'm not allowed to take anyone with me as the dept is really small He's dropping me off and picking me up though.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, Just listen to what the doctors and nurses tell you, relax and enjoy being the centre of attention for a while lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiepeep)
    I'm not allowed to take anyone with me as the dept is really small He's dropping me off and picking me up though.
    Is it like a colonoscopy/endoscopy?
    I may be able to help you if you wish to pm me
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well then thats something to look forward to whilst you are at hospital- him picking you up once its finished and taking care of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet by and by)
    Is it like a colonoscopy/endoscopy?
    I may be able to help you if you wish to pm me
    It's like a small colonoscopy, just looking at the sigmoid colon, rather than all of it.

I'm not too concerned about the actual proceedure, it's just the being in hospital by myself that makes me nervous

ReputationRep:
    It's like a small colonoscopy, just looking at the sigmoid colon, rather than all of it.

I'm not too concerned about the actual proceedure, it's just the being in hospital by myself that makes me nervous
    Ive never been awake during one but the people there are lovely and I think it only lasts 10mins maybe
    I would say endoscopys worse but that only cause you get a sore throat.
    I get anxious before my ops (Ive had a lot in the last year or two)
    But its only cause of the end results.
    Is it crohns or colitus they think you have by and chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet by and by)
    Ive never been awake during one but the people there are lovely and I think it only lasts 10mins maybe
    I would say endoscopys worse but that only cause you get a sore throat.
    I get anxious before my ops (Ive had a lot in the last year or two)
    But its only cause of the end results.
    Is it crohns or colitus they think you have by and chance?
    I was given the option for sedation, but I'm kinda thinking against it - mostly as I have the worst veins for canulas! Plus I've been told it shouldn't last more than 30 minutes at most.

They're not sure what it might be yet - I've had it since I had my gallbladder removed last year, but the surgeons don't believe it's anything to do with the surgery . I think they're looking for Crohn's, ulcerative colitis or another form of IBD, or colon cancer. I'm still hoping it's a bile salt problem caused by the surgery.

ReputationRep:
    I was given the option for sedation, but I'm kinda thinking against it - mostly as I have the worst veins for canulas! Plus I've been told it shouldn't last more than 30 minutes at most.

They're not sure what it might be yet - I've had it since I had my gallbladder removed last year, but the surgeons don't believe it's anything to do with the surgery . I think they're looking for Crohn's, ulcerative colitis or another form of IBD, or colon cancer. I'm still hoping it's a bile salt problem caused by the surgery.
    Well pm if you need advice I have alot of experience in that dept and I mean alot of experience :laugh:
    Woohoo

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! Hope it's nothing serious.

ReputationRep:
    Try not to think about being in hopsital and just think about when you get your results and they are able to start you on treatment so you can get better.
    Are you allowed to text your partner while you are in so at least you won't be totally on your own? I know that the hospital I go to don't mind people using there mobile phones anymore.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Good luck and I hope you get some good results !!! I train in a hospital and I think it always helps to remember that the staff are there to help you, maybe you could ask one of the nurses/assisntants to hold your hand if you feel uncomfortable?

Watch out for the enema, if you have the same medicine that we give our patients, it will definitely clear you out, so maybe take some sugary food with you for when you come out?

Hope that helps, PM me if theres anything you want to ask x

ReputationRep:
    I know that going into hospital can be a daunting experiance. I have been in many times as a medical student and when I had to go in for a laparoscopy (day surgery) I was still really nervous.

I found that taking a good book in with me was really helpful. I kept it with me and it meant that whenever I was sitting on my own I had something to do other than think about it. The same could probably be said for music, just something which can distract you a bit before you go in.

It might be worth letting the nurse that you see when you arrive that you are a bit anxious about it as if people know that you are anxious they may be able to distract you a bit while you are with them (chatting to you etc). I found just being chatted to really useful to relieving anxiety when I was having needles put in etc.

At the end of the day it probably won't be the most plesent experiance but I really would recommend trying to distract yourself if at all possible. Hopefully they will be able to establish what the problem is.

Hope it goes ok

ReputationRep:

Get sedation, seriously! The cannula is nothing compared to what sedation will do for you, you probably won't even remember anything. I can't remember anything past the midazolam going in and I had a full colonoscopy and endoscopy in the one go. Plus you feel amazing after

Honestly, you'll be fine :yep: it will all be over this time tomorrow, you'll be back with your partner, and you'll be 1 step closer to fixing your problem.

ReputationRep:
    id be very suprised ifits colon cancer, espcially if your op was a year awa. Otherwsie youd be pretty muh nearly dead now.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the kind words

Got back a few hours ago, was only at the hospital for about an hour and a half. I didn't get any sedation, and it wans't too bad - a little painful at times but certainly bareable.

They found nothing, so cancer, crohn's and ulcertive colitis have all been ruled out. Several nurses I spoke to said it's most likely to be Post Cholecystectomy syndrome (which the surgeon said it couldn't possibly be even though I have every symptom and they only started after having my gallbladder out).

They took some biopsies and I should hear back in a week.

The nurses were all fantastic and were making jokes with me throughout the proceedure, and said I coped really well. I was leaving about 10 mins after they finished. And I got to watch the screen which was awesome, lol!

Just need to get rid of this gas now, I'm so bloated and it's quite crampy at the minute!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Hope you feel better soon, and it's good to know that cancer etc has been ruled out! Biopsies are no fun though!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the kind words

Got back a few hours ago, was only at the hospital for about an hour and a half. I didn't get any sedation, and it wans't too bad - a little painful at times but certainly bareable.

They found nothing, so cancer, crohn's and ulcertive colitis have all been ruled out. Several nurses I spoke to said it's most likely to be Post Cholecystectomy syndrome (which the surgeon said it couldn't possibly be even though I have every symptom and they only started after having my gallbladder out).

They took some biopsies and I should hear back in a week.

The nurses were all fantastic and were making jokes with me throughout the proceedure, and said I coped really well. I was leaving about 10 mins after they finished. And I got to watch the screen which was awesome, lol!

Just need to get rid of this gas now, I'm so bloated and it's quite crampy at the minute!!
    LOL horrible memories of awkward moments sitting with my mum in the hospital room :toofunny:

Glad everything went okay. Can they do anything for the post cholecystectomy thing??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Hope you feel better soon, and it's good to know that cancer etc has been ruled out! Biopsies are no fun though!
    They didn't hurt at all, weird tugging sensation, that was about it. I watched them do it too, which was bizarre!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.