Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why doesn't Labour use money from people on benefits to fund the armed forces? Watch

[QUOTE=Shaniqua]And people accuse me of generalising. :rofl:[/QUOTE
    haha i bet your ugly as well
    lads never wanted a bit of the tory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heyjude)
    Oh, so as long as its only poor people suffering thats ok then.

I find your spoilt naivity abhorrent.
    Nope. They can use the state system, which is funded by people who actually pay the taxes!

I never said get rid of the health service. Unfortunately I am going to be in it. They do extremely important work. I was on about people on benefits who shouldn't be getting them!

I don't understand - two generations my family was in the lowest social class, working class, poor. We never asked the state for any money. My grandfather worked hard, in manual labour. My dad was so poor he nearly didn't have enough money to eat. There were 5 of them, and only my grandmother. My grandad died long before. What did they do? Claim benefits? No! My grandmother managed to work *and* bring 5 kids up. My father and uncles worked AND studied.

Result? Success for all of us. Hard work paid off. My uncle is an extremely successful banker, and my father a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaniqua)
    Yes, it was sheer arrogance and just because you happen to attend an adequate university doesn't suddenly mean you're qualified to 'enter the real world' and judging from your views, you have a long way to go yet.

Looks like it's just me and you then!
    If I appeared arrogant I apologise, it was unintentional. You seem to have overlooked the fact that my intention was to collapse your insulting comment which was based on ignorance.

I have different political opinions to yourself; this does not make me naive. I would have thought my having several jobs in various sectors of society and my attending a multi-cultural univeristy would have collapsed your abstract concept of 'the real world'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_H123698)
    haha i bet your ugly as well
    lads never wanted a bit of the tory?
    i waz actually voted nicest bum in my skool, babe. so dnt be dissin ma looks, darlin, coz from the looks of things i wuldnt touch ur mug wit a ten foot poll, let alone any other gals (or perhaps blokes, ru in the closet)?!11!

xoxox

ReputationRep:
    OP, watch out, media's gonna get ya!

Hang on a sec, it would appear that I'm too late..

shaniqua doesnt like it when she gets internet bullied by JH1224tu45 does she?

ps are you dirty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    Nope. They can use the state system, which is funded by people who actually pay the taxes!

I never said get rid of the health service. Unfortunately I am going to be in it. They do extremely important work. I was on about people on benefits who shouldn't be getting them!

Why should people from working class backgrounds not contribute to the economy any more than you do?

If you read my hypothetical scenario correctly, I was in fact referring to a health care system similar to America.

EDIT: Sorry read you earlier post as well.

So considering your background, don't you think a well structured social welfare policy, in order to improve social mobility in Britain (an oppurtuinity your parents and grandparents were deprived of) would be a good thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    OP, watch out, media's gonna get ya!

Hang on a sec, it would appear that I'm too late..
    Coming from a brainwashed Labour supporting bleating sheep? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Nope - family should take care of them. If I happen to have a disabled kid, I don't expect the state to pay for it.
    I cannot believe I just read that! You obviously have no-one disabled in your family and understand the issues that come with it. It's not like having a child you can ship off to your parents or a crèche during the day so you can go back to working full time hours. And that's just the start. My God. If you ever do have a disabled child, good luck looking after him/her with no help from anything government funded..!

ReputationRep:
    Coming from a brainwashed Labour supporting bleating sheep? :rofl:
    I'm not the brainwashed one, dearie. The fact that I support Labour indicates that.

ReputationRep:
    I do so love intelligent debate on TSR :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I'm not the brainwashed one, dearie. The fact that I support Labour indicates that.
    Brainwashed and delusional, somewhat concerning.

ReputationRep:
    Why should people from working class backgrounds not contribute to the economy any more than you do?

If you read my hypothetical scenario correctly, I was in fact referring to a health care system similar to America.
    They should.

Sorry mis-read, no I wouldn't want that system. But you still have the postcode lottery in the NHS for certain drugs (e.g. for multiple sclerosis)... or some medication aren't paid for by the NHS because NICE doesn't say they are good value for money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francesca_20)
    I cannot believe I just read that! You obviously have no-one disabled in your family and understand the issues that come with it. It's not like having a child you can ship off to your parents or a crèche during the day so you can go back to working full time hours. And that's just the start. My God. If you ever do have a disabled child, good luck looking after him/her with no help from anything government funded..!
    Actually my family was in a similar situation. My grandmother had to bring up 5 kids whilst in full time work after my grandad died. This is MUCH more difficult than bringing up *one* disabled kid.

Sure, I think I can manage...

ReputationRep:
    So, you would rather your taxes went towards some scrounger buying a wide-screen TV, rather than going towards potentially protecting the lives of young people involved in the government's war? At least the war has some good intentions about it.

What a repugnant thought process you have.
    Yes, because all benefit claimants are scroungers and buy big tellies.

Bit OTT there, however, here's a valid point - how do we know who is a scrounger or a genuine case?

Would you sacrifice the entire system to spite the scroungers while denying the people who really need it a lifeline?

ReputationRep:
    They should.

Sorry mis-read, no I wouldn't want that system. But you still have the postcode lottery in the NHS for certain drugs (e.g. for multiple sclerosis)... or some medication aren't paid for by the NHS because NICE doesn't say they are good value for money.

Lol well we are agreed at least that the NHS needs urgent re-structuring

Please see my edit above.

ReputationRep:
    Brainwashed and delusional, somewhat concerning.
    Again, brainwashed? Where are you getting this from?

And delusional, wtf? Where did I say that I thought my party would win the next election? Where did I say that I liked our front bench at all? Again, it would seem that you know next to diddly squat about politics yet have created a thread on an "issue" which was created by the media, convincing our poor tabloid readers that our country is full of wasters when it isn't.

ReputationRep:

EDIT: Sorry read you earlier post as well.

So considering your background, don't you think a well structured social welfare policy, in order to improve social mobility in Britain (an oppurtuinity your parents and grandparents were deprived of) would be a good thing?
    I am biased. Because I was (and am) from Hong Kong, and back in the day, there was no benefit system there like there is in the UK. It's not that I am actively against people who need them - I am just of the opinion that if my grandmother survived that (the 5 kids weren't exaggerations!), anyone should be able to. Unfortunately people in Britain expect more and more from the state.

But yes, I agree, if there is absolutely no abuse of the system, then we should have unlimited benefits in the form of loans, not grants, to help. Then people can pay it back in say 20 years time. For example, you can give a single mother a loan of even 300 pounds a month, so she can both study AND bring up her child. Then when she gets a top job then she can pay the money back.

I am all AGAINST grants of any form. Poorer people should not get free money, nor should rich people. People should have as much LOAN they need. Taking money from the rich and give it to the poor is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Actually my family was in a similar situation. My grandmother had to bring up 5 kids whilst in full time work after my grandad died. This is MUCH more difficult than bringing up *one* disabled kid.

Sure, I think I can manage...
    5 able kids who can look after younger ones, who can be left alone, who eventually leave home, who don't need constant medication and special care, who can go to school... the list goes on. Again. Good luck to you. Let's hope it never happens..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francesca_20)
    5 able kids who can look after younger ones, who can be left alone, who eventually leave home, who don't need constant medication and special care, who can go to school... the list goes on. Again. Good luck to you. Let's hope it never happens..
    Me too.
    Obviously I am not for a harsh state where it leaves people to die on the streets. But read my above post: I am all for benefits as long as they are repaid. I don't believe in free money. Special needs childrens should be able to claim (or their parents) as much as they need in the form of a government loan. I think everyone should have a responsibility, it isn't the state's, but the state should make it easier to carry such responsibliities on one's shoulders...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.