Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Today i got a letter from a company called 'Intrum Justitia" saying they have commenced a formal debt recovery against me to recover an oustanding balance on behalf of there client PAYPAL.

So this is whats happened, i had sold facebook poker chips to a person for £200, and the transaction went smoothly. 2 Months on(today) i find out that the guy who paid me had hacked someones account and used that to pay me.

I had a host of emails recently from PAYPAL about this but just ignored it as i thought it was spam.

What will happen if i dont pay this? Will i get into big trouble? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    facebook poker chips worth £200? what has become of the world!

ReputationRep:
    I know lol, i just make them and sell them.

ReputationRep:
    Contact Paypal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Contact Paypal?
    I second that motion!

ReputationRep:
    People buy facebook poker chips??? FOR £200!!! The lunatics are running the asylum.

ReputationRep:
    Contact the company, explain the situation and contact Citizens Advice Bureau. The guy needs his dosh back, but you need money for your chips. There must be a way of sorting this.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is i actually closed down the account because i stopped using it because ive quit ebay and stopped selling things online now.
    But won't they just say "you should of replied to the emails" ?
    And what will this debt recovery agency do if i just ignore this bill issued against me?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys :>

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me once, I sold my iPod but someone bought it with a stolen card or something I think and I had to refund the money. Didn't think to much of it at the time but it doesn't really sound fair though.

ReputationRep:
    Rian1988: Did they force you to refund the money?

If you have been contacted by a debt recovery company then you need to take it seriously. They can get a County Court Judgement against you which could affect your future ability to gain credit.

Contact Paypal and discuss the situation with them. You might also want to get some legal advice - or at least contact the Citizen's Advice Bureau.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kid-Nit-Jimmy)
    Rian1988: Did they force you to refund the money?
    I can't really remember too much as it was a while ago, sorry for being helpless.

ReputationRep:
    No worries Rian
    Stupid me actually used my mums Paypal account at the time because mine was refusing transactions.
    So obviously my mum is furious at this and kicking off at me lol.
    So i think im just guna pay this bloody £200 even though i think its unjustified and it'll b less hassle right?

Today i got a letter from a company called 'Intrum Justitia" saying they have commenced a formal debt recovery against me to recover an oustanding balance on behalf of there client PAYPAL.

So this is whats happened, i had sold facebook poker chips to a person for £200, and the transaction went smoothly. 2 Months on(today) i find out that the guy who paid me had hacked someones account and used that to pay me.

I had a host of emails recently from PAYPAL about this but just ignored it as i thought it was spam.

What will happen if i dont pay this? Will i get into big trouble? Thanks in advance
    Contact the person through Facebook, or put the debt recovery people in contact with them? There's little else you can do, as far as I can imagine.

ReputationRep:
    "Contact the person through Facebook, or put the debt recovery people in contact with them? There's little else you can do, as far as I can imagine."

Ive tried finding them on facebook and emailed, but no success. Im sure the guy was using fake details etc.
    Im just going to refund it, Badtimes!

ReputationRep:
    "Contact the person through Facebook, or put the debt recovery people in contact with them? There's little else you can do, as far as I can imagine."

Ive tried finding them on facebook and emailed, but no success. Im sure the guy was using fake details etc.
    Im just going to refund it, Badtimes!
    I would try speaking to paypal first before handing over £200, who knows they might be able to help somehow.

ReputationRep:
    As ive closed down the paypal account in dispute, i cannot access the Resolution Centre.
    Is there a way i can contact them without making a long distance international call?

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me for £300, some douche bag charged back on me when I sold a Laptop. Got letters from Intrum Justitia...they sent me the first letter saying I owed £300, I rung them and laughed in their faces. 2nd letter threatening court date, rung them and told them to bring it on, as I would enjoy making them waste their money for nothing. 3rd letter, threatening court date, told them to **** off.

That was the last letter. Ride out the storm, they can't do ****. If they do, go to court and fight your corner, their main objective is to BS and scare you into paying for the crappy debt they got off Paypal.

ReputationRep:
    I was just going to ignore them completely, but its under my mums name and she doesnt like the hassle of all this! lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.