Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kid-Nit-Jimmy)
    I was just going to ignore them completely, but its under my mums name and she doesnt like the hassle of all this! lol
    Btw, you should give me, ermmmmm 1M chips for my sound advice.

ReputationRep:
    And what will this debt recovery agency do if i just ignore this bill issued against me?
    They'll keep hassling you with phone calls and letters. Depending on where you live, they may send round door collectors.

Debt collection agencies don't actually have any legal powers though. Only bailiffs can take goods from your residence, and they have to be ordered by a court to be allowed to do it.

The usual debt collection tactic is to make your life a nightmare and scare you in to paying up. Eventually, they'll decide whether or not the debt is worth it, and take court action against you. It will then be up to the court to decide if you owe the debt.

ReputationRep:
    No worries Rian
    Stupid me actually used my mums Paypal account at the time because mine was refusing transactions.
    So obviously my mum is furious at this and kicking off at me lol.
    So i think im just guna pay this bloody £200 even though i think its unjustified and it'll b less hassle right?
    Enforcement agents just make threats they will never actually come round to your house. Contact Paypal but DO NOT pay them the £200. Its is very unlikely IMPOSSIBLE they will actually issue you with a CCJ as is wouldcost over the ammount for the court and they canot make you pay the court costs/

I KNOW I USED TO WORK FOR BISTRO AND SUTRA A ENFORCEMENT AGENCY.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, if they do take it to court and the judge rules in paypal's favour, the debt will go on your credit reference and they may issue a CCJ against you, which would really f*ck up any chances of getting loans or a mortgage.

If the debt is in your mum's name, then it's unfortunately her who'll bare the brunt of all this, so it may be worth chalking this up to experience and paying back the £200.

ReputationRep:
    Surely £200 is not worth court action though?

I had this too. Basically, I sold some old memorabilia on eBay. The transaction went smoothly etc. Feedback was good too.

I then moved the money from PayPal into my bank etc. Then a few weeks later, the seller opened a dispute with PayPal while I was away on holiday (no access to emails) and because I couldn't reply, PayPal went in their favour and refunded them the money.

As I didn't receive the items back, neither would I give any money - as PayPal wouldn't reopen the case so I could give my input. So basically my PayPal went into minus figures.

A few days later, I had a call from 'Intrum Justitia' asking to confirm my address (which I foolishly did), then after that, I had a couple of letters from them asking me to pay up.

A nice letter back ended this, neither PayPal or 'Intrum Justitia' have gotten in touch since.

Here is a copy;
    Spoiler:
    Show

Intrum Justitia
    5th Floor, the Plaza
    100 Old Hall St
    Liverpool
    Merseyside L3 9QJ
    United Kingdom

RE: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To whom it may concern,
    I was contacted earlier today, xxxxxxxxx, by one of your operatives demanding a sum of money, which was supposedly owed to PayPal Services.

I would like to address this issue, and confirm that this owing debt is under investigation by the Financial Ombudsman Service, and as such, I am under no legal obligation to pay you any monies.

As a third party operative, and to ensure the legalities of this harassment, I request the following;
    · A signed copy of the credit agreement of which you act,
    · A notice of assignment which has been provided to you by PayPal,
    · A copy of your complaints procedure, should I wish to make a formal complaint,
    · A subject access request, so I should understand on which legal terms PayPal has provided you with my details.

I must stress, failing to comply with the above requests covered under the ‘Consumer Credit Act’ and the ‘Data Protection Act’, will result in me instructing my solicitor to begin legal proceedings against you, should you continue to harass me after the post-mark of this letter. If you continue to harass me for any monies prior to be above requests being fulfilled, you will be operating illegally and thus will incur a lawsuit. A copy of this letter has also been mailed to my solicitor for verification purposes.

Just for clarity, I have not included my address in this letter, as providing you are chasing this debt legally, you should have this information and thus, you have the proper means to contact me by.

Yours Sincerely,

ReputationRep:
    Surely £200 is not worth court action though?
    It only costs about £35 to go through the small claims court.

I once took a computer repair shop who screwed up my laptop to court for £170 and when they lost the case, they had to pay my court fees as well, so yes. It is worth it.

The real question is, how would they go about proving the debt was yours? Paypal don't work like normal banks so I'm not sure how they'd do it.

ReputationRep:
    Their basis of charge is the fact that YOU aren't protected under Paypal's seller protection scheme. So basically, if some FAG, screws you over by charging back, you, the seller are the one who has to fork out the money. <---That's their lousy case in a nutshell.

I actually resent Paypal with a vengeance, and will never allow anyone to be screwed over by a crappy debt collecting agency that's associated with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I had this too. Basically, I sold some old memorabilia on eBay. The transaction went smoothly etc. Feedback was good too.

I then moved the money from PayPal into my bank etc. Then a few weeks later, the seller opened a dispute with PayPal while I was away on holiday (no access to emails) and because I couldn't reply, PayPal went in their favour and refunded them the money.

As I didn't receive the items back, neither would I give any money - as PayPal wouldn't reopen the case so I could give my input. So basically my PayPal went into minus figures.

A few days later, I had a call from 'Intrum Justitia' asking to confirm my address (which I foolishly did), then after that, I had a couple of letters from them asking me to pay up.

A nice letter back ended this, neither PayPal or 'Intrum Justitia' have gotten in touch since.

Here is a copy;
    Spoiler:
    Show

Intrum Justitia
    5th Floor, the Plaza
    100 Old Hall St
    Liverpool
    Merseyside L3 9QJ
    United Kingdom

To whom it may concern,
    I was contacted earlier today, xxxxxxxxx, by one of your operatives demanding a sum of money, which was supposedly owed to PayPal Services.

I would like to address this issue, and confirm that this owing debt is under investigation by the Financial Ombudsman Service, and as such, I am under no legal obligation to pay you any monies.

As a third party operative, and to ensure the legalities of this harassment, I request the following;
    · A copy of your complaints procedure, should I wish to make a formal complaint,
    · A subject access request, so I should understand on which legal terms PayPal has provided you with my details.

I must stress, failing to comply with the above requests covered under the ‘Consumer Credit Act’ and the ‘Data Protection Act’, will result in me instructing my solicitor to begin legal proceedings against you, should you continue to harass me after the post-mark of this letter. If you continue to harass me for any monies prior to be above requests being fulfilled, you will be operating illegally and thus will incur a lawsuit. A copy of this letter has also been mailed to my solicitor for verification purposes.

Just for clarity, I have not included my address in this letter, as providing you are chasing this debt legally, you should have this information and thus, you have the proper means to contact me by.

Yours Sincerely,
    Yes - this. Great advice.

You might want to try contacting PayPal in the first instance (08707 307 191), but I wouldn't hold out a huge amount of hope of success through that route. I had Trading Standards on to them for a dispute I had as a buyer, and they didn't even reply properly in that case! (while still not yet fully resolved, I think the Consumer Credit Act has come to my rescue there)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)

Here is a copy;
    Spoiler:
    Show

Intrum Justitia
    5th Floor, the Plaza
    100 Old Hall St
    Liverpool
    Merseyside L3 9QJ
    United Kingdom

To whom it may concern,

Yours Sincerely,
    I'm gonna save this for future reference. I have the worst luck with this kind of shizz. Northern Debt Recovery start to miss me if I don't yell at them at least once a month. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kane_Fizz)
    Enforcement agents just make threats they will never actually come round to your house. Contact Paypal but DO NOT pay them the £200. Its is very unlikely IMPOSSIBLE they will actually issue you with a CCJ as is wouldcost over the ammount for the court and they canot make you pay the court costs/

I KNOW I USED TO WORK FOR BISTRO AND SUTRA A ENFORCEMENT AGENCY.
    This post is so wrong.
    I took a company to court in the small claims court. It cost about £40. I won and was awarded all costs, so it cost me nothing in the end, and if they hadn't paid I could have got a charge against their bank account to pay me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roubiliac)
    This post is so wrong.
    I took a company to court in the small claims court. It cost about £40. I won and was awarded all costs and if they hadn't paid I could have got a charge against their bank account to pay me.
    Yeah I wouldn't listen to anyone saying 'just ignore it'. Orange chased me for £60 I didn't owe them for months and eventually I got a poor credit score that couldn't be reversed even after it was proven that I owed them nothing.

It's always best to speak to someone like Citizens Advice or whatever, unless of course it's something silly like £4 ebay charges (which Paypal have been chasing me for for over a year now :p: I know I could pay it back but it's more fun seeing how long until they give up)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies guys, i just sent them an email using 'WhereIsMyMind' template. And i will also be writing a letter to them also, but now i know i shouldnt just 'ignore it'.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilybeck)
    try faststudentcash.com/dwa it has helped me pay the bills
    this is spam. i wouldn't try it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.