Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of opening up a new current account, but almost every single one with a great AER have a catch: you must credit the account with at least £1000 a month. I cannot do this.

However, is it possible to pay in money from your old account (say, £1000) to your new account at the beginning of the month, get the interest, then pay £1000 back to your old account. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Or does this not work (i.e. does the balance at the end of month 2 need to be £1000 more than it was at the end of month 1)?

I really wish I knew how these work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zii)
    I'm thinking of opening up a new current account, but almost every single one with a great AER have a catch: you must credit the account with at least £1000 a month. I cannot do this.

However, is it possible to pay in money from your old account (say, £1000) to your new account at the beginning of the month, get the interest, then pay £1000 back to your old account. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Or does this not work (i.e. does the balance at the end of month 2 need to be £1000 more than it was at the end of month 1)?

I really wish I knew how these work!
    It usually works, AFAIK

Check the detailed T&Cs to be sure, but "pay in" means just that. Most people won't just let money accumulate in their current account anyway - it'll get spent or transferred out to a savings account.

If you want to be really sneaky about it, you could just set up standing orders one day after the other to make your transfers. I probably wouldn't recommend this though, just in case the bank chose to investigate and didn't like this arrangement (though I doubt they would for just one customer).

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, but I'm sure it would......1st of the Month - £1000 in, 27th of the month - £1000 out, 1st of the Month - £1000 in.

ReputationRep:
    That would be fine - as long as credits are greater than 1000 in that month. Seriously though the amount of interest will be pretty insignificant to worth bothering if your balance is pretty low anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.