The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
timetokill
My parents dont own their home, my dads disabled and my mum is his carer, I doubt there will be much for me to inherit.
Id like to think that they wouldnt leave much (if anything) financially however, id rather they spent every last penny they had on enjoying themselves and doing whatever they wanted to before they died.

I'm sorry to hear that, though I don't care for my parents I kind of find it nice that others care about theirs.
Reply 21
OP I think when you get around to burying both your parents and you're left alone in the world for the rest of your days you'll realise you do care a little bit.

As for me, I would much rather they stayed alive. Family is priceless, it is more important than any amount of money.

To answer your question, I'll get a third of my mum's small 2-bedroom terraced house and half of my dad's tiny 1-bedroom terraced house.

Hopefully when they die I'll be getting on myself, so there wouldn't really be any point to receiving the money anyway.
Reply 22
Kuriso
But what if I don't get a property or money? then it just makes the question even less fun.

I'm sorry to hear that. You could sell their body parts to science. Though thats just a thought if your the same kind of person as me, I'm not actually trying to make a joke. I think remember seeing a programme where the body parts of people who died were preserved and sold to labs, universities and hospitals to be used on people who need them. Though I don't think the organs of old people would be used in hospitals on people who need them.
poossum
Yeh this is a little bit weird thread. I sort of want my parent to spend the money that THEY earned, so i don't want anything, so long as they enjoyed their retirement.

Snap, I'd hate by parents to have to struggle on in later life just so they could leave something for us. My grandad is always going abroad on little adventures and long holidays. I hope my parents will do the same or something of equal value.
JumpingJonny
Their debts :dontknow:

This.
Reply 25
I miss the days where the firstborn son would scoop the lot.
Reply 26
Onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne Billion dollars.
Reply 27
a house
Reply 28
I'm an only child, so will get anything that's left. That said, I don't really care if I get anything. I want them to live it up in their retirement. I want them to spend everything they have and buy anything they want without a thought. Seeing how hard my Dad worked to provide for us, he's already done enough for me. He spent forty years working exceptionally hard in business, now it's time to enjoy life. If he doesn't spend it, the government is just going to steal a huge chunk of it in the form of inheritance tax. If I were them, I'd blow the lot. Sadly, I think my parents will have a rather less "spend it all" approach than I would in their situation...
Numerous STDs.
Wow, I hope you have children one day and they make a very thread like this somewhere on the Web, and you get to see that. I almost pissed myself laughing imagining your reaction, I'd probably crap myself seeing it.

That, and also I think your parents should disown you. They'd probably left you with ******** were they to find what a cold-hearted, ****** up piece of **** are you. :lolwut:

I sincerely hope life gobsmacks you and kicks you in the ding-ding, as you seem to be a hopeless case of desensitized ********.

You know, whatever money they will leave you with, bottom end - you're gonna have it spent one day. After a year, two, 10 years or 20, if not, you'll just get bored with wasting money on the crap you can buy with it, and then you're gonna realize that it's been much more fun with your pops and moms, but it's gonna be too late. I'm pretty sure they're not that bad for you not to love them, they failed in life with not bringing up their son to a decent standard and creating a piece of turd with no feelings. If they were not love deserving, you probably and most certainly wouldn't have had the computer and the Internet connection to troll around in a thread like this, plus you'd have your parents in jail for inadequate care/domestic violence or whatever, you wouldn't have lived with them anymore, and - most of all - wouldn't have cared about any inheritance whatsoever. They brought you up, bought you clothes, bought you food and gave you shelter (most certainly still keep on doing this). How is that not enough?

****, they should have scraped you off and got you aborted while you were still in foetal stage. Woopsy, mistakes seem to happen. Luckily, my deep and profound belief in natural selection makes me hold my hopes high for the Nature to correct the blunder. Someday, somehow. :thumbsup:
Reply 31
I have already got the family home, my brother lives in it. My Dad died 2 years ago, my Mum is in a nursing home with dementia. But I would rather have them back and happy than have any inheritance at all.......money and property cant replace your parents.........ever.
Reply 32
Unknown?
I'm sorry to hear that. You could sell their body parts to science. Though thats just a thought if your the same kind of person as me, I'm not actually trying to make a joke. I think remember seeing a programme where the body parts of people who died were preserved and sold to labs, universities and hospitals to be used on people who need them. Though I don't think the organs of old people would be used in hospitals on people who need them.

I like this idea :smile: . But then, when I die I'm going to donate my body to science and I think everyone should so...
I'm not entirely sure what I'll get. I'd imagine the house would be split between me and my sister- although the house is still half my dad's so he might give his half to my sister in which case she would end up with 75% and I'd have the other 25%.

My mom's best friend told me the other day that everything in her will is split between me and my sister, I thought that was really lovely as we're not her kids (she doesn't have any).
Probably nothing, both my mums and dads houses will probably fund their retirement.

I dont think kids should expect anything from their parents after they're gone. Whatever assets they do have should be used to make their life as comfortable as possible.
Reply 35
me and my brother will get all my moms assests to share between us, my mom rents a few houses so whether she still has them when she croaks is a different story.
A lot of people are going to be disappointed in what they actually get in terms of inheritance, because people are living so much longer now and a lot will end their lives in some sort of care home. Their assets will be used to pay for their social care.

If your last surviving parent spends the last five or more years of their life in a care home then don't expect to inherit anything, you or one of your siblings will end up as the executor charged with selling their house to release funds which will get eaten up over time on the care bills.

I know most people say "I don't want to think about it" but I think a lot of people having in the back of their mind the idea that they don't really need to prepare for a pension etc, because they will inherit a big sum at some point.....thats no longer guaranteed and increasingly people are finding out the hard way.
Reply 37
As and when my parents kick the bucket, assuming that they still haven't got their arses in gear and made a will. Then I'd get a chunk of the place in Tuscany, either 1/2 or 1/3, then there is the place in Kent and the flat in London (currently rented out), so I guess 1/2 of those as well then if they've both croaked.

Personally though I'd rather they stuck around, going to visit them is so much easier if they're around to keep an eye on the kids, fix me a sandwich, etc... And despite all their many, many faults, they are still my parents and I'd rather they were here than not. In fact with the kids, I'd rather they lived in London than as far away as they do, as I'd be able to get them to pick them up from school etc... Hmm, maybe we should move to Kent?....

As an aside, both of my wife's parents died before I met her, and especially now that we have kids of our own their absence is very keenly felt...
Reply 38
Only Child :biggrin:

I've also been told that it's likely i'll get my aunt's things as she isn't married and doesn't have any child, but I'd much prefer they lived longer.
Reply 39
fortunately i have the type of family who avoids spending money wherever possible (and that trait runs with me too) so my inheritance will be quite significant. I was born into quite an old family and seeing as my remaining family members are my 2 parents, an aunty and an uncle on my dads side and an aunty on my mums side, all of the inheritance has trickled down to those who are still alive. Although if i'm honest i've seen most of my family die within my lifetime and i'd rather have them alive for a few more years.

my dads great grandfather started a removal business just before WW1 and during the war a lot of kit needed to be moved around the country, and the government offered him the job of basically transporting most of the stuff around the UK. I can't remember the name of the company but i'll edit the post when i remember it. so thats how his fortune was made. my dads brother is also very wealthy on the stock market, despite living in what most of you would deem poverty (he lives in a very small house and has built his own system of running water, gas and electricity.) So i suppose making money and having a reluctance to spend it is something which runs through our family.

Latest