Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do You Have To Use Your Arms At The Gym? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Zenith)
    You could train without using your arms, but then how would you get a 6-pack? everyone knows most of your muscle mass is in your arms, and when you train them, excess muscle goes to the rest of your body, such as your abs.

Of course you need to have the diet right. Drink lots of water, because the minerals in it help develop muscle mass. I'm currently on a diet comprising only foods beginning with the letter G. I can only think of Grapes to eat though, but I am definitely losing weight, which is good.

Remember not to have anything like protein shakes, good training is clean training. Protein shakes are basically steroids, so obv they are bad for you.

Anyway, i'm off tomorrow to do some spot fat reduction on my neck, I think it's a bit too fat there. So I'm doing lots of nodding with a dumbell on my forehead.

Hope the training goes well
    Oh thank God! Was already angry by the first paragraph... took me a while to spot the sarcasm.
    Well written, made me lol (eventually)!

ReputationRep:
    Bleeding?

No you idiots. I mean being a big black man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    ***** I already said it would!
    :hmmm: I suppose thats what happens when I read other forums before posting...
    inbefore SMed next time!!

ReputationRep:
    http://ambersfitblog.files.wordpress...1/steroids.gif

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to use your arms in the gym; heck, you don't have to use anything at all. Like the fat guy at my gym that comes in, does one set on the pec dec machine, then proceeds to talk to his mate for the next hour and a half. In fact, this is actively encouraged

ReputationRep:
    Juzt sqwok cause every1 knoes skwotz make delts, arms, back, chest, penis grow

ReputationRep:
    Penis curls and ear lobe deadlifts are probly gonna be your friend here

you gonna get so stacked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_alerts)
    Can you weight train without using your arms?

Its just like, sometimes they ache for days afterwards, which prob means like internal damage or something.

Plus using arms is extra effort and sometimes the gym is too hot, or too cold, so my arms either get too sweaty or too goosepimply.

I also find they dont grow really, even though Ive been training for a week, nothing is really happening so prob think this bodybuilding stuff is bit of an urban myth.

What you guys think??

PS. If I dont use my arms I can focus my efforts on sit ups, will that get me a 6 pack in 2 weeks?
    um...lol? i thought the purpose of weight training was to use your arms to build muscle? how are you going to weight train without using your arms? maybe your arms hurt because you're not warming up enough? =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beaver00737)
    um...lol? i thought the purpose of weight training was to use your arms to build muscle? how are you going to weight train without using your arms? maybe your arms hurt because you're not warming up enough? =/
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beaver00737)
    :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    He's so clever :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Can you weight train without using your arms?

Its just like, sometimes they ache for days afterwards, which prob means like internal damage or something.

Plus using arms is extra effort and sometimes the gym is too hot, or too cold, so my arms either get too sweaty or too goosepimply.

I also find they dont grow really, even though Ive been training for a week, nothing is really happening so prob think this bodybuilding stuff is bit of an urban myth.

What you guys think??

PS. If I dont use my arms I can focus my efforts on sit ups, will that get me a 6 pack in 2 weeks?
    The part you said about muscles acheing is true thats why you should take days off, I mean Your muscles grow when you are resting, they recover from the previous work out.
    I do 3 days a week and I spend like 2 to 3 hours a day, within the first 2 weeks i saw improvements,
    Also focus on foods such as steak, chicken, fruit, milk, vegetables, cheese and assorted types of nuts. It's recommended to eat 4 - 6 pieces of fresh fruit a day, and at least four tall glasses of milk. Milk is a great, cheap protein source - take advantage of it. A sample snack meal would be a glass of milk, an apple, and a hand full of peanuts.

Make a good plan for your gym sessions, fit in your daily meals, I suggest 6 meals. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and three other small meals scheduled throughout the day. The goal is to eat every 2.5 to 3 hours.
    Also eat well 2 hours before going into gym and straight after gym.
    Avoid sugery stuff because it will jus give you quick burst of energy and then you will feel tired after wards.

Good luck.

And believe me with in 2 weeks you will see improvements, and definetly this muscle stuff is not urban myth.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant.

I want everyone to take note of red_alert's post, for it is truly a work of art. It's a beautiful thing to see a post that is so utterly full of complete **** get taken as a serious post. I mean, how many serious genuine replies has this thread received?

Pos Rep.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo0qjuA42HA

ReputationRep:
    PMSL, this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmT2s...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikkuro)
    The part you said about muscles acheing is true thats why you should take days off, I mean Your muscles grow when you are resting, they recover from the previous work out.
    I do 3 days a week and I spend like 2 to 3 hours a day, within the first 2 weeks i saw improvements,
    Also focus on foods such as steak, chicken, fruit, milk, vegetables, cheese and assorted types of nuts. It's recommended to eat 4 - 6 pieces of fresh fruit a day, and at least four tall glasses of milk. Milk is a great, cheap protein source - take advantage of it. A sample snack meal would be a glass of milk, an apple, and a hand full of peanuts.

Make a good plan for your gym sessions, fit in your daily meals, I suggest 6 meals. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and three other small meals scheduled throughout the day. The goal is to eat every 2.5 to 3 hours.
    Also eat well 2 hours before going into gym and straight after gym.
    Avoid sugery stuff because it will jus give you quick burst of energy and then you will feel tired after wards.

Good luck.

And believe me with in 2 weeks you will see improvements, and definetly this muscle stuff is not urban myth.
    You are not a normal one, you have been elevated to the swiss arm tool ranks of the toolish elite

ReputationRep:
    I lol'd.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.