Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, seriously looking in to studying Math at Cardiff university. An incredibly place to live and a very good uni.
    Just wondering really if I can get any replies as to how life at the university is, is the university really great?

Would be nice to if somebody that is currently studying Math could shed some light on how well the course is taught and just some general info.

Anything would help so pleassseee

ReputationRep:
    Accomodation wise im looking for which will be the most social.
    Yes I want to go to uni to get a degree, but at the same time I want to have a bloody good time!

ReputationRep:
    Maths*

ReputationRep:
    Well I did undergrad law and the Bar Vocational Course in Cardiff so I've been there pretty long and I can say it's a great place to live and study. Can't tell you anything about how your course will be but I know a little about the accommodation.

All the halls are actually quite sociable, but if you want a really sociable place then it has to be either University Hall or one of the Talybont Courts. Bear in mind University Hall is located quite a distance from the city centre and the campuses although there's a bus service to the union every 30 minutes or so. However they have a bar there. I personally wouldn't stay there but then again everyone has their own preferences.

The Talybont Courts are known to be one of the most sociable places to be around as they have a student bar there and lots of sporting facilities around the area as well. Talybont South is newer if compared to Talybont North but then again Talybont North is closer to a McDonalds and Tesco Extra which is about 5 minutes walking distance. Both Talybont North and South are not very far off from each other and both should be the kind of accommodation that you are looking for.

Anyone from Cardiff Uni, please correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottydog)
    Just wondering really if I can get any replies as to how life at the university is, is the university really great?

Would be nice to if somebody that is currently studying Math could shed some light on how well the course is taught and just some general info.
    Hey I’m studying Maths in Cardiff, and it’s really a very good course, and living in the Cardiff is FANTASTIC! If you’re considering Maths, the first thing you should know is that Senghennydd Court is the best place for you. It’s literally a two minute walk from the Maths building, and 5 minutes from frankly anywhere you would want to go, including the union, town, and all the clubs. It’s very sociable and will save you loads of money as its one of the cheapest accommodations, and unless you are very lazy, you most likely won’t need to ever use a taxi, unlike those poor Talybont lot who have a 20 min walk ahead of them after a night out!

The course itself, I’m not going to lie, is hard work. You have to study to do well, and is nowhere near as easy as many of the other courses Cardiff has to offer, but if Maths is the thing for you, then Cardiff runs an excellent course.
    There are many different routes you can take, the three main ones being:
    ~ Mathematics Operational Research and Statistics (which is basically stats but still has many elements of Pure maths such as algebra and calculus if you wish to take them, this also offers a year out in industry during year 3 which could be very helpful in finding a job in today’s climate after uni)

~Pure Mathematics (which is the main subjects associated with maths with a mixture of optional stats and mechanics modules along with Calculus, Algebra, Analysis etc. but does NOT offer a year out)

~ Mathematics and is Applications (which is more mechanics than stats although the opportunity to study Stats is still there, and this also offers a year out in industry)

In the first year however there is no need to make any decisions as to which course you want to do if you’re not sure as the modules you in the first semester are exactly the same for all three courses.

If you took Further Maths at A level and did well in it, it is likely the first year won't be too hard for you, however if you are like me and your school didn’t offer Further Maths, you may have a bit of extra work on your hands keeping up with everyone else, however that is exactly what year one is for, and why it is not assessed.

I hope this helps and you make the right decision

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.