Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm having such a skin mare atm.
    Ive got such breakout of spots all over my face which indicates i have greasy skin,but ive got flaky bits of skin around my nose.
    I obviously try and hide this in public with make up however my make up just doesnt sink into my skin properly,it goes all patchy around my nose and greasy under my eyes.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can sort my skin/make-up out?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like I have pretty similar skin to yours- I've practically solved my skin problems by a) drinking a lot of water, b) having a set skincare routine and c) the Vitamin E range from Superdrug. Cheap, effective and makes my skin feel like silk~

Also, mineral make-up. It's a miracle.

ReputationRep:
    If the spots get to bad you can see your doctor about them. They actually give you stuff that works unlike stuff from boots etc...

ReputationRep:
    Coalface from Lush, and a really nice moisturiser :yep:

Taking Evening Primrose oil capsules helps too.

ReputationRep:
    Cleanse, tone and moisturise thoroughly, morning and evening with products that work for you; I'd personally steer clear of products like clean & clear and others that claim to get rid of spots, they're often just extremely/overly drying making make up look worse. Exfoliate once or twice a week.

ReputationRep:
    the miracle to improving your skin is very boring and obvious but drinking plenty of water , eating the right foods , making sure you remove your make-up properly at night etcetc.
    in the mean time use a tinted moisturiser as foundation and apply a loose powder over , it will cover up anything you don't want to be seen whilst maintaining a lightweight feel (no patchy greasy bits!!)

ReputationRep:
    go to the doctors about it, they will give you pills that will make it all better

ReputationRep:
    Go to the doctor .... but that didn't do me any good ... I think time is (unfortunately) the best cure. They moved me from one thing to another, from one thing to another and so on. I got up to the strongest stuff they offer, roaccutane, and that still didn't work.

My spots aren't completely gone .. but are clear enough.... certainly no thanks to the doctors.

Additionally, roaccutane had terrible side effects (may not sound terrible, but they were for me), including nose bleeds numerous times a day (sometimes in embarassing situations), dry and chapped lips 24/7, and they messed my legs up so that I couldn't play football whilst on them.

Obviously, this depends on how bad your spots are .... as I also know people who used things from the doctor and cleared up well.

ReputationRep:
    i had the same problem, the dry bits are a complete nightmare! I now use decleor gel face wash and nothing else. It has really balanced by skin, no dry patches and hardly a spot -except once a month :-( It is quite expensive but does last for months so well worth every penny. Don't buy the main cleansing milk, make sure its the gel you buy because it is designed for our problem skin type.
    As for foundation I shouldn't think this is a problem as most these days are oil free but maybe the brand you are using has caused the irritation on your skin? Mineral foundation will be kinder to your face. I've never used it though so don;t know what kind of coverage you'll get, maybe someone else can help out with that?

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you have a consistent routine.

I use clean and clear face wash twice daily, and lemon juice as a toner in the evenings. I also use T-Zone Oil Control Moisture Lotion with a small drop of vitamin e oil which helps to combat dry skin. That, along with steam facials once or twice a week [boil water, put in it some sea salt and sit with your face over it with a towel over your head for about 10mins - then splash cold water on your face to close the pores] and drinking lots of water - my skin hasn't looked this good for 7 years [I began suffering with acne from around the age of 11].

My skin is not perfect, as I still get the odd pimple [+ I have acne scars which takes away from showing just how much better the skin is], but it is much better and I've received lovely comments from others about its improvement.

I don't wear make-up. I'm thinking of starting though, I'm currently tackling the scars with vitamin E oil at night, but during the day I may invest in something light to cover them up in the meantime. Unfortunately I can't help you in that area.

I too had little success from going to the doctor. Indeed the medication either had no effect on the skin, and/or gave me terrible side effects [severe stomach pains and depression were the two main ones for me].

Try websites like Acne.org [which is where I got the lemon juice idea from [http://www.acne.org/lemon-juice-appl...73/page1.html]. Read topics in the forum, read reviews like the one for the lemon juice - and hopefully you'll find the right solution for your skin. Good luck. =]

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.