Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    On an individual basis, there is nothing wrong with it. Mixed-race couples,for example,can be just as happy together as couples who are not mixed-race.

On a larger scale however, it dilutes British identity and also British culture.
    Sigh. I've had this identity discussion too many times.

Immigration (or mixed-raced relationships, whatever) do not dilute "British identity", or culture for that matter. If you find that your identity is at that much of a threat through living beside other cultures then I can honestly say I have much sympathy for you. I know my identity, and it's not one formed around nationality; it's one formed through my relationships, my education, my parents, and ultimately my life experiences. I don't feel that's being threatened by immigrants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    Reason why nobody should taking this thread seriously:

1.'My opinions'
    2.'BNP'
    3.'great'

Ahahahahah.

Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    BNP :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgEGNT)
    Not saying I particularly support the party, I still think Nick Griffin is a good public speaker.
    So was Hitler!! :fuhrer: :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)

Immigration (or mixed-raced relationships, whatever) do not dilute "British identity", or culture for that matter. If you find that your identity is at that much of a threat through living beside other cultures then I can honestly say I have much sympathy for you. I know my identity, and it's not one formed around nationality; it's one formed through my relationships, my education, my parents, and ultimately my life experiences. I don't feel that's being threatened by immigrants.
    First you claim that British identity is not being diluted, and then you effectively deny that you have one. You can't have it both ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)

Really really really agree.
    Identity is formed through your relationships, experiences, opinions and achievements not something like where you happened to be born or what colour your skin happens to be.
    Quite simply, how you're different to everyone else not how you're the same.
    Besides, I think a multicultural society means a diverse society, and on a personal note I enjoy such diversity - it seems this isn't the universal view however.

ReputationRep:
    First you claim that British identity is not being diluted, and then you effectively deny that you have one. You can't have it both ways.
    Side stepping the point, nice. If you claim that Britishness exists may you explain and define what British identity is an how immigrants are destroying it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Side stepping the point, nice. If you claim that Britishness exists may you explain and define what British identity is an how immigrants are destroying it?
    It is important first that I establish the difference between British identity and British culture.

British identity is the product of British ethnicity, which carries with it various cultural and social elements which can be considered integral to the British way of life.

British culture is the British way of life in a certain time, again carrying with it certain cultural and social elements which are integral to our way of life.

It is a sign of the times we are even having this discussion,though. How anyone can claim there is no such thing as an ethnic or national identity or culture is completely beyond me, as it is clear to anyone analsying the world and prior forms of culture and lifestyle that they were very real.

Immigration is destroying British culture by facilitating a multi-cultural society, whereby the native culture is diluted and pushed to the side( or even denied an existence:rolleyes: ).

Immigration isn't directly destroying British identity,however suggesting that your national or ethnic identity is determined solely by your place of birth,is.

ReputationRep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Immigration is destroying British culture by facilitating a multi-cultural society
    Is that not part of our culture? You know how we're admired for our liberalism/ democracy and all that?

ReputationRep:
    You are free to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    Is that not part of our culture? You know how we're admired for our liberalism/ democracy and all that?
    Multi-culturalism in it's current form or anywhere near it was only even suggested in the late 1950's in Britain,and it didn't even fully take form until about the 80's,argueably. To suggest that multi-culturalism as it is now has always been a British value and idea is nothing short of a lie.

Ironically enough, the introduction of mass immigration was done in an entirely undemocratic fashion,with the British people not allowed a vote on it,and the vast majority of the public would not have approved of it at the time. Indeed, the only reason they didn't kick up a fuss over it at the time was that they were being gradually phased in, with the idea first coming around that students would be coming here to benefit from our education system and then returning to their respective homelands.

ReputationRep:
    reasons not to vote

they are racist and you can do this with there name

BNPeodophiles.
    coincidence?

ReputationRep:
    Ironically enough, the introduction of mass immigration was done in an entirely undemocratic fashion
    The original mass immigrants (people who you deem not to be English) were from the Commonwealth countries during the war. These people worked in our factories and fought in our army. They ensured the UK wasn't crippled by a deficit in the workforce or in the armed forces. In short, these immigrants ensured we won the war and kept our liberty. Their actions are far more commendable and aspirational than your skin colour, in my opinion. How can you justify sending these men and women and their children "home"?

ReputationRep:
    What opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    The original mass immigrants (people who you deem not to be English) were from the Commonwealth countries during the war. These people worked in our factories and fought in our army. They ensured the UK wasn't crippled by a deficit in the workforce or in the armed forces. In short, these immigrants ensured we won the war and kept our liberty. Their actions are far more commendable and aspirational than your skin colour, in my opinion. How can you justify sending these men and women and their children "home"?
    Firstly, that immigration was not on the mass scale which we see today. They were indeed a factor in us winning the war,however this is no arguement for allowing their future generations to to come to our shores en masse. Nobody would be repatriated against their will.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, that immigration was not on the mass scale which we see today. They were indeed a factor in us winning the war,however this is no arguement for allowing their future generations to to come to our shores en masse. Nobody would be repatriated against their will.
    I couldn't say for certain, but I would actually imagine that wave of immigration was on a bigger scale considering the drastic change in the ethnic demographics of entire cities such as Bradford during the war.

Yeah, nobody will be repatriated against their will - just given firm incentives to leave, right? What a lot of rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    I couldn't say for certain, but I would actually imagine that wave of immigration was on a bigger scale considering the drastic change in the ethnic demographics of entire cities such as Bradford during the war.
    I very much doubt that, but it still does little to justify the waves of immigration sweeping over our country at present.

(Original post by JW92)
    Yeah, nobody will be repatriated against their will - just given firm incentives to leave, right?
    Correct.

ReputationRep:
    Sarcasm, the ultimate form of wit.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly are these "totally impressive" policies?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.