Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would Religion be obselete if immortality, or a virtual kind of heaven was created? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Most of what religion offers is basically comfort and a purpose to existance; if you had immortality/virtual heaven, would you keep on with your religion or ditch it?

It is fair to say religion has SOME good aspects - it gives us comfort, a placebo to swallow when we in dire times; it also gives a structure to life and a basic organisation pattern to stick with (e.g. church every sunday with a group of people)

But if the daunting process of total oblivion into nothingness was suddenly removed, surely the need of a "God" would disappear as well?

ReputationRep:
    Consult the film Zardoz for a sophisticated exploration of this very question.

ReputationRep:
    i think the film zardoz answers this question perfectly

ReputationRep:
    i haven't seen zardoz but i think yes it would make religion obsolete.
    theists worship their chosen deity so they will be rewarded with eternal life. whats the point if its there anyway?

<semi-sarcasm> No, people will always need an excuse to be stupid and violent. </semi-sarcasm>

Seriously, though, I doubt it. No matter how good life is people'll always think there's something better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    <semi-sarcasm> No, people will always need an excuse to be stupid and violent. </semi-sarcasm>

Seriously, though, I doubt it. No matter how good life is people'll always think there's something better.
    hmm true, but as much i would hate to admit it, this "Human God" is ridiculously improbable

A god moment prehaps?

Maybe God takes on the form of a bacteria - after all we werent the first animals on here, so there really is no guarantee of anything at all

if anything, Humans are the last form he would take or have any connection to - just because we are clever doesnt mean we are special in any way, shape or form - maybe he gave his blessings to the first animals that existed, even if they one-cell organisms (assuming he does exist)

And yeah true, but to think about a Definite outcome and an almost Inprobable outcome, it only seems logical to go for the definite

ReputationRep:
    No, of course not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    No, of course not.
    For what reason?

Surely having a virtual heaven is much better condolence than thinking theyve most likely gone into complete non-existance for infinity?

not trying to sound too bleak

But structure, purpose and meeting people can easily be attained through clubs, learning to play music, jobs etc - Religion isnt the only option

Same goes for Morality - most of our morals are intertwined through evolution and basic compassion, so why would we need a book to dictate what we should think?

So once that promise is gone, there really isnt a lot left to religion.

forgive if this sounds ignorant, me being atheist and all that

ReputationRep:
    Why swap a virtual religion for a real one?

ReputationRep:
    It's scary that it's actually not so crazy anymore to believe these could be achieved one day. Or maybe it's just me.

ReputationRep:
    Why swap a virtual religion for a real one?
    The security of a definite afterlife, instead of a Really, really, really improbable religious one?

and who said anything about a religion? this is meant to be an athiest solution to "heaven"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghanglish)
    It's scary that it's actually not so crazy anymore to believe these could be achieved one day. Or maybe it's just me.
    lol of course they won't, not in this lifetime anyway

more of a theoretical situation

but noticably there is one animal that has managed to become "immortal", the Turritopsis Nutricula jellyfish, so maybe it isnt as far-fetched as one would believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DVDA)
    The security of a definite afterlife, instead of a Really, really, really improbable religious one?

and who said anything about a religion? this is meant to be an athiest solution to "heaven"
    Religion isn't only about heaven but about the teachings and practices...

ReputationRep:
    Religion isn't only about heaven but about the teachings and practices...
    yeah thats very true

but admittedly, it does play a rather large part in the faith, the whole idea of Gods love for humanity, hope for all etc

but most of Jesus's teachings come from common sense, such as the 10 commandments, Sermon on the Mount, loving thy neighbour, everyone is one in the eyes of christ etc

so religion isnt necessary for a morally well-formed person, rather it reaffirms what basic instinct tells us, or in the wrong hands, can inspire hatred, but only in a minority

ReputationRep:
    You're going to swap a religion for religion, to see if religion becomes obsolete?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    You're going to swap a religion for religion, to see if religion becomes obsolete?
    lol that idea is that there is no religion to it - basically just live, inthe knowledge your garuanteed a place in the afterlife

the only aspect of religion that could ever come into a virtual heaven is judegement, which could be dictated by a simple computer - this becomes a sort of "god" in a sense, but nowhere near to the extent of the Christian God or the Muslim God - a faceless peice of technology of which everything and everyone is the same

so it doesnt really come under any sort of religion, just a way of cheating death through science (regardless of how much of a long way off this technology would be, possibly thousands, if not millions of years away)

ReputationRep:
    Religion is obsolete anyway.

ReputationRep:
    For me, the idea of heaven without God is impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edenr)
    For me, the idea of heaven without God is impossible.
    how so? all he/she/it would do would be to preside over it, basically keeping watch

in the emotional sense of needing God whilst in heaven, im not a christian so i cant relli comment

but im not sure if heaven reeally needs a ruler tbh - obviously to get into a virtual heaven you would have to be good, so that would filter out the majority of criminals

i couldnt really see the problem of having an elected leader in "heaven", but thats getting too off the point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DVDA)
    how so? all he/she/it would do would be to preside over it, basically keeping watch

in the emotional sense of needing God whilst in heaven, im not a christian so i cant relli comment

but im not sure if heaven reeally needs a ruler tbh - obviously to get into a virtual heaven you would have to be good, so that would filter out the majority of criminals

i couldnt really see the problem of having an elected leader in "heaven", but thats getting too off the point
    Well, one of the defining properties of heaven is that it God is present there. If He were non-existent, the concept of heaven would make no sense.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.