Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would Religion be obselete if immortality, or a virtual kind of heaven was created? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edenr)
    Well, one of the defining properties of heaven is that it God is present there. If He were non-existent, the concept of heaven would make no sense.
    that makes more sense.

but its not really meant to be an exact technical definition, its not even supposed to be a replica of a religious heaven...

basically supposed to be like as life is now - not some idyllic cloud-fantasy where heaven is personal to everyone

and who knows, maybe being forced to worship a diety could be someones idea of a hell, being constantly under his eye (even more than his omnipresent earth-self)

Or maybe being in non-existance for infinity is someones idea of hell, so they may see eternal existance as their own "heaven" - surely the definition cant be as precise as that

ReputationRep:
    The idea of an afterlife whether virtual or spiritual doesn't appeal to me - what would you do for eternity? The Christian idea of a heaven crammed with only worthy souls sounds terrible, your virtual one (assumedly full of animals and stuff like the real world) sounds better, but I think after 70 years of living I'd just like to die, permanently, in peace!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confused_Jim)
    The idea of an afterlife whether virtual or spiritual doesn't appeal to me - what would you do for eternity? The Christian idea of a heaven crammed with only worthy souls sounds terrible, your virtual one (assumedly full of animals and stuff like the real world) sounds better, but I think after 70 years of living I'd just like to die, permanently, in peace!
    Really? i wouldnt mind eternity lol, give me a more laidback prospective on everything

but no way would i want to be in a Christian heaven - i'd hate to be Gods ***** for the rest of eternity and forced to kiss his ass every waking second lol

hmm yeah but i guess we cant ever really know what happens after death - maybe we are all part of a matrix system and we end up in another world under control by evil beings

hm i can see your point about permenamt rest - being stuck with only your conscience for eternity would be, to say the least, f***ing horrible!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.