Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone locate me to a reliable list of this online? I can't find one- need to start applying for mini pupilages soon!

ReputationRep:
    2-3 greys inn, london
    when i was doing work experience in a law firm, i was told these chambers are the most prestigious x

ReputationRep:
    If you can't do this research yourself, you aren't going to get in to one of them.

If you think that there are a set of chambers which are "top", without defining the type of work that they do, then you aren't going to get in to one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelesMeles)
    If you can't do this research yourself, you aren't going to get in to one of them
    Words out of my mouth...
    Op, you have a lot of research to do. Try sites like www.lawcareers.net.

ReputationRep:
    It is slightly facile question, and I tend to agree with the other poster who wrote "if you need to ask......etc", but try having a look at Chambers and Partners and the Legal 500 websites.

What sort of work are you interested in?

If you're just starting out, it may be wise to get a few MPs and (if relevant) a bit of study under your belt before applying to your dream sets. Make your MP mistakes at the sets you're not going to be targetting come application time!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    2-3 greys inn, london
    when i was doing work experience in a law firm, i was told these chambers are the most prestigious x
    Aren't they an inn, not a chambers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    Aren't they an inn, not a chambers?
    Gray's Inn is indeed one of the Inns of Court.

However, there is a set of chambers known as 2 - 3 Gray's Inn Square: http://www.2-3graysinnsquare.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (1) http://www.chambersandpartners.com/search.aspx?pcd=1
    (2) Under 'Filter by barristers sets or law firms' select 'The Bar'.
    (3) From drop-down menu select the practice area that you are interested in.

Bear in mind that the Band 1 chambers in a lot of the practice areas are going to be horrendously competitive (if not for mini-pupillages then certainly for pupillages). For example, if you look at the chambers listed under Commercial Dispute Resolution in London, you would probably would find only a couple of recent pupils who don't have Oxbridge firsts, plus a hell of a lot of other stuff on their CV. To be honest, the same could probably be said about the Band 2 and 3 sets as well.

ReputationRep:
    hi there, i was wondering how one would find out about less competative chancery sets in london. I have checked out the leading chancery sets and agree an oxbridge degree is almost a requirement so I am considering applying for lower tier chambers or less well known sets...how do i find out about these?

ReputationRep:
    I think its unfair for to criticise a student inexperienced in research - in fact - I might consider asking the question in TSR an element of their research!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Every law student does a course in legal research.
    This includes training in online searches and on the use of legal databases.
    If after all of that, he still cannot figure out the answer to the question, he really has no hope.
    Well i'm a second year law student and I've never been given classes on legal research - it was something I had to figure out myself - and anyway like I said, I would view asking the question as a form of research... got the answer didn't he, so he obviously used the best method or research available to him - the experience of his peers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Well, I would not be able to comment on criminal bar sets (although I think 2 Bedford Row is meant to be the best), but I can say that 2-3 Gray's Square is really not top flight. Not even close. At the Commercial Bar, the typical elite bunch of sets is as follows:

BLACKSTONE CHAMBERS (does everything, big set, lots of famous people including cross-bench peer Lord David Pannick QC who is seen as the best in all appellate matters)
    BRICK COURT CHAMBERS (commercial set with a heavy EU component, Jonathan Sumption QC is here)
    ONE ESSEX COURT (generalist set, normally seen at no1 for commercial litigation)
    ESSEX COURT CHAMBERS (was shipping, now general commercial with a modern rather corporate flavour)
    FOUNTAIN COURT (lots of Lords of Appeal went here, very good, especially in banking)
    3 VERULAM BUILDINGS (a new addition to the top flight, mainly banking, very modern in approach and nicely diverse)
    20 ESSEX STREET (general commercial with an emphasis on shipping but many practitioners also working in the Public International Law field)
    7 KING'S BENCH WALK (small elite set with emphasis on shipping and insurance / re-insurance, again many Lords of Appeal went here including Denning)
    QUADRANT CHAMBERS (originally shipping too, very dynamic set with premises out of the Inns of Court)
    4 PUMP COURT (excellent set in general commercial, with an emphasis on construction work).

Hope this helps. You can look on the Bar Directory for London on the Legal 500 website for more information.

ReputationRep:
    Top Three
    Matrix-Very clever people.
    Blackstones-Super brain central!! Pretty much all Oxbridge/BCL's/Academics/Foreign University equivs.
    3 Raymond Buildings-International set with some serious Silks. If you're being extradited these are the chaps you want on side!

Some other good ones
    3 Verulam Buildings-Commercial/Chancery
    6 Kings Bench Walk-Crime (typically prosecution)
    Tanfield Chambers-Commercial/Property
    7 Bedford Row-Common Law

Don't know much about other commercial/chancery ones
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mickeyfit)
    I think its unfair for to criticise a student inexperienced in research - in fact - I might consider asking the question in TSR an element of their research!!!
    I don't. If someone is at the stage of applying for minis / realistically considering their career goals it is entirely reasonable to expect them to be able to research things.

ReputationRep:
    I think page 12 onwards is a workable list as a starter for 10....

Lawyer UK 200

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.