Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I wanted to know how competitive Slade art school is. I can't seem to find any statistics for applications to offer ratios- i read somewhere that it's 4/100 get an offer?! Does anybody have any idea? ta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I gained acceptance to their undergraduate BA in fine art back in 2003, so the statistics and regulations may have changed since then. But yes, the Slade is known to be fiercely competitive, something of which was mentioned when I attended the Open Day. Unfortunately, I can't remember the exact application to offer ratio, but I don't believe it was quite the figure you surmised, but it's definitely something like 1/30. Given the moderately small classes too, the competitiveness for places is notable.

If you have any enquiries on the application process, do not hesitate to ask. :smile:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Matisse. There are a few questions that I would like answering, please?
    How advanced in your art do they expect you to be? i.e how could do you need to be at drawing? ( I could show you my work so u can see if you think I am of the necessary standard?!)
    What would you suggest I put in my portfolio, i.e, any hot hot tips??
    Will the course put me in contact with places other than UCL to exhibit my work and be recognised?
    Thanks!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by James2009)
    Thanks, Matisse. There are a few questions that I would like answering, please?
    How advanced in your art do they expect you to be? i.e how could do you need to be at drawing? ( I could show you my work so u can see if you think I am of the necessary standard?!)
    What would you suggest I put in my portfolio, i.e, any hot hot tips??
    Will the course put me in contact with places other than UCL to exhibit my work and be recognised?
    Thanks!
    Not a problem, I'm glad to help. :smile:

It's difficult to determine how "advanced" you need to be, since every applicant's portfolio of work will vary. The admission tutor(s) aren't looking for a specific 'standard', per se, but they will be looking for an aesthetic awareness and level of technical proficiency. In other words, it's important to demonstrate, through an accompanying sketchbook, what has 'informed' and 'inspired' the work you have produced. However, unlike the other art schools, the Slade did place an emphasis on the finished piece, whereas comparatively, the other art schools I applied to were more 'ideas' orientated. To put it simply, they will expect your work to be of a reasonable merit, what that 'merit' is, I can't say definitively. That is solely dependent on the admission tutor(s) that view your work.

If you haven't already, after looking on the Slade website, here is a brief description of what they require:

All applicants are required to submit a portfolio for inspection by the entrance examiners and when we receive your application from UCAS, we will send you full details of the portfolio inspection which will take place in early February.

Applicants living in the UK — should send one portfolio, maximum size A1, maximum weight 12kg. (No portfolio will be accepted which exceeds the weight or size limit.) The portfolio should comprise a selection of current and recent work which may include drawings, photographs, paintings on paper or board (but not stretched canvases), sketchbooks and notebooks. Larger paintings or 3D works should be shown as photographic prints. Videos or films should be in QuickTime on DVD. A showreel of five minutes duration is recommended. Each piece of work should be named and dated and where work is reproduced the dimensions of the original should be provided. Download a portfolio label.
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/slade/slade09/ugStud/ugAdmiss.php

I would suggest possibly booking, if you haven't already, an Open Day. These type of questions are obviously best answered by the admission staff involved.

I also created a thread regarding 'portfolio advice' in the Creative Arts forum, which you can view here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974132

I'll be more than happy to view your work. Feel free to send me a private message on this forum (if you would prefer to not post your work publicly).

I haven't read the course description, but when I applied, like all art schools, the Slade/UCL will offer the opportunity to exhibit at galleries in and out of London, including a final year exhibit where industry figures will be invited to view your work.

I hope this has helped. :smile:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matisse)

It's difficult to determine how "advanced" you need to be, since every applicant's portfolio of work will vary. The admission tutor(s) aren't looking for a specific 'standard', per se, but they will be looking for an aesthetic awareness and level of technical proficiency. In other words, it's important to demonstrate, through an accompanying sketchbook, what has 'informed' and 'inspired' the work you have produced. However, unlike the other art schools, the Slade did place an emphasis on the finished piece, whereas comparatively, the other art schools I applied to were more 'ideas' orientated. To put it simply, they will expect your work to be of a reasonable merit, what that 'merit' is, I can't say definitively. That is solely dependent on the admission tutor(s) that view your work.

If you haven't already, after looking on the Slade website, here is a brief description of what they require:

I would suggest possibly booking, if you haven't already, an Open Day. These type of questions are obviously best answered by the admission staff involved.

I also created a thread regarding 'portfolio advice' in the Creative Arts forum, which you can view here:

I'll be more than happy to view your work. Feel free to send me a private message on this forum (if you would prefer to not post your work publicly).

I haven't read the course description, but when I applied, like all art schools, the Slade/UCL will offer the opportunity to exhibit at galleries in and out of London, including a final year exhibit where industry figures will be invited to view your work.

hey i just wanted to know whetehr u need to have done a foundation for the ba/bfa fine art degree?? is it encouraged? do they look favourably upon foundation students?:woo: or do both A level and foundation ppl get a fair chance??!!

thank you!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artcrazy)
    hey i just wanted to know whetehr u need to have done a foundation for the ba/bfa fine art degree?? is it encouraged? do they look favourably upon foundation students?:woo: or do both A level and foundation ppl get a fair chance??!!

thank you!!!!!!

When i went for an open day they said that they have about half and half of applicants with a foundation / just A levels, which would suggest that they get an even chance. At the open day most were doing their A levels only, which surprised me. Hope that helps a bit

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is still interested at the open day this was the tutors message (BA painting tutor) -1000-1100 applicants. of which 100 should not have applied. The rest are all good. 100 get shortlisted for interview and 40-45 get places.

I think these figures can be devided further.Thet's assume there is an equal amount of BA and BFA students on the final courses. Yet originally there will be more applicants to the normal BA course - I would estimate 700:300
    I would assume BA is more popular because

- the BFA is a new course (hasnt gained reputation); people dont like to feel they are not clever enough for the BA ; for many artists who do care for an academic approach to art practice and also want to take a second academic course this is the only UG course that can provide this oppurtunity.

I think the best thing about the Slade is that sketchbooks are not that important- they focus around the finished peices which is Brilliant. No one judges real artists on their influences or their sketchbooks and their preliminary drawings at the end of the day. Only other british art schools judge this way. And why??? This only holds artists back and forces them to work in a strict methodology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)

Hi I am hoping to apply to slade this year, could you look at my portfolio by any chance?

I have printed around 18 photos ( my paintings are too big) and put them in a portfolio.. Also this year I'm starting university ( studying something different non art related) but decided that i really wanted to pursue art, so am applying again.

Any suggestions I would be most grateful!

http://www.saatchionline.com/mlealcauston

That's my link to my work. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I just want to find out more about the portfolio that they are looking out for as I am from a film background, most of my portfolio comprise of films and photos, I was wondering if it will be appropriate to put them in the portfolio for slade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marselenia)
    If anyone is still interested at the open day this was the tutors message (BA painting tutor) -1000-1100 applicants. of which 100 should not have applied. The rest are all good. 100 get shortlisted for interview and 40-45 get places.

I think these figures can be devided further.Thet's assume there is an equal amount of BA and BFA students on the final courses. Yet originally there will be more applicants to the normal BA course - I would estimate 700:300
    I would assume BA is more popular because

- the BFA is a new course (hasnt gained reputation); people dont like to feel they are not clever enough for the BA ; for many artists who do care for an academic approach to art practice and also want to take a second academic course this is the only UG course that can provide this oppurtunity.

I think the best thing about the Slade is that sketchbooks are not that important- they focus around the finished peices which is Brilliant. No one judges real artists on their influences or their sketchbooks and their preliminary drawings at the end of the day. Only other british art schools judge this way. And why??? This only holds artists back and forces them to work in a strict methodology.
    Firstly, BFA and BA are both of equal academic standard. The two are in place to offer variations according to an individuals practise.

Secondly sketchbooks (in any form) and contextual research are greatly considered, if you don't keep one then is there any great thought or working out to your work? Is there evidence you know your predecessors?

Last year 1400 applied, 200 got interviews, 50 places were given. In 2011 1600 applied, 200 got interviews, 35 places were given. This year due to student numbers around 35 places will be offered and roughly 200 will get interviewed. In ratio it works out about 1:30, the hardest course in UCL to get into! But don't let that put you off, if you want it enough apply!

Also I would strongly encourage anyone to do an art foundation as this is a great year to develop your art practise and if you don't your miss out on a great year of experimentation and development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James2009)
    Hey guys. I wanted to know how competitive Slade art school is. I can't seem to find any statistics for applications to offer ratios- i read somewhere that it's 4/100 get an offer?! Does anybody have any idea? ta
    Its ultra competitive! I am an archaeology first year at UCL and I am also a student ambassador there, so in my training they told us that it is their most competitive course, something like 200 applicants (or more) per place. It is a brilliant art school i have friends doing fine art and they are amazingly talented and hey love it, but art courses have the MOST WORKLOAD! My flatmate does architecture and no one in his department sleeps, they can't afford to as the workload is huge. :eek:So basically remember that you have to compete with students not just from the UK, its worldwide as its such a prestigious art school. GOOD LUCK xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbanks)
    Its ultra competitive! I am an archaeology first year at UCL and I am also a student ambassador there, so in my training they told us that it is their most competitive course, something like 200 applicants (or more) per place. It is a brilliant art school i have friends doing fine art and they are amazingly talented and hey love it, but art courses have the MOST WORKLOAD! My flatmate does architecture and no one in his department sleeps, they can't afford to as the workload is huge. :eek:So basically remember that you have to compete with students not just from the UK, its worldwide as its such a prestigious art school. GOOD LUCK xx
    You are quoting a thread which is four years old. I think he'll have been and gone by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    I gained acceptance to their undergraduate BA in fine art back in 2003, so the statistics and regulations may have changed since then. But yes, the Slade is known to be fiercely competitive, something of which was mentioned when I attended the Open Day. Unfortunately, I can't remember the exact application to offer ratio, but I don't believe it was quite the figure you surmised, but it's definitely something like 1/30. Given the moderately small classes too, the competitiveness for places is notable.

If you have any enquiries on the application process, do not hesitate to ask. :smile:
    Hello, I know this is a very old post but I have a few questions about the Slade interview. I know they ask you to talk about one piece of work, and I just wanted to ask how you selected the piece to talk about. Is it ok to talk about work still in progress? My current project is a film (I'm hoping to have an extract ready for the interview) so it won't be finished, but I think it would be a good piece to talk about. Will there be an opportunity to talk about my other work?
    I understand if you are too busy to respond.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.