Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I’ve decided to choose as the topic of my A2 100-year personal study, an aspect of the Mughal empire in India. This has to cover at least 100 years of history but can be more if necessary. I am leaning towards the popular enquiry-based questions to do with either the establishment of Mughal rule in India, or the reasons for the decline and collapse of the Mughal empire, etc. etc.

Seeing as TSR as a body of members is incredibly well read, () I wanted to ask here to see if you could recommend any good books to firstly give me a solid understanding of the period and then more focussed books on the rise and fall of the Mughals. I have to compile a bibliography and read a lot over summer which is rather daunting for a previously humble AS history pupil!

Thanks, and will + rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Hi there,

I’ve decided to choose as the topic of my A2 100-year personal study, an aspect of the Mughal empire in India. This has to cover at least 100 years of history but can be more if necessary. I am leaning towards the popular enquiry-based questions to do with either the establishment of Mughal rule in India, or the reasons for the decline and collapse of the Mughal empire, etc. etc.

Seeing as TSR as a body of members is incredibly well read, () I wanted to ask here to see if you could recommend any good books to firstly give me a solid understanding of the period and then more focussed books on the rise and fall of the Mughals. I have to compile a bibliography and read a lot over summer which is rather daunting for a previously humble AS history pupil!

Thanks, and will + rep.

Ive never studied that period of history or that region for that matter but I can give you a few tips. If you go to your local public library and find a general book on Indian history, go to the back of it and find the bibliography that historian has used, look through and see if there are any books on the Mughal empire which may be useful. Looking at other peoples bibliography could be quite helpful for your study.

It also looks very good if you use primary sources too, try searching the internet for any primary (and sourced, it must be reliable) accounts describing the Mughal Empire, perhaps British descriptions from the early Empire days may be interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Studying Indian history is extremely difficult to do. Indians made very little if any sources during that time, and because of the humid environment the majority are destroyed as well. My lecturer for that module told us a story about how he found a scroll that was a few hundred years old, which just turned to dust when he opened it.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend 'The last Mughal : the Fall of a Dynasty, Delhi, 1857' by William Dalrymple

It was printed in 2006ish so I think its pretty up to date

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.