Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has got any good book recommendations for me. I'm a prospective medical student who also loves reading. I read so much that I thought that I should start reading medical related literature, seeing as when i get to interview they won't appreciate me garbling on about how much I prefer Joyce's Portrait of Young man to Ulysses.

Has anyone got any favourites that they'd like to recommend? I'm not talking BMJ, New Scientist etc, but actually books. I'm really interested in medical sciences, and also the science behind mental illness in particular, though I'm really open to anything, my interests are vast.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Not really a medical book, more nursing but its something really interesting about the history of healthcare

Florence nighingales: notes on nursing.

Really good if you like history etc, got some good things in there like "never speak to a patient when moving them" "Bad bedding= feverishness" Good for anyone interested in healthcare i think

ReputationRep:
    Catch-22 & Captain Corelli's Mandolin... to compare & contrast the representation of the medical profession.
    OK, so actually that was my A level coursework question & I had no choice over the books we had to do - why the consensus was for more war when we had to do a war synoptic paper, I have no idea. :rolleyes: But I'd recommend Catch-22, especially if mental health interests you.. though it's probably either love or hate!

Other interesting mental health related reads might be some of the classic (semi-)autobiographicals for a patient centered approach?
    E.g. Girl Interrupted (I'd recommend that especially), The Bell Jar etc.

ReputationRep:
    Not medical, but a very good book that you might like is Girl, Interrupted by Sylvia Plath.

It's not strictly about mental illness, but themes include mental illness and conformity, and the treatments involved and how they affect patients.

The film is very good, if you want to watch that too/instead.

I can't help you with any real medical literature though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Other interesting mental health related reads might be some of the classic (semi-)autobiographicals for a patient centered approach?

LOL SNAP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Catch-22 & Captain Corelli's Mandolin... to compare & contrast the representation of the medical profession.
    OK, so actually that was my A level coursework question & I had no choice over the books we had to do - why the consensus was for more war when we had to do a war synoptic paper, I have no idea. :rolleyes: But I'd recommend Catch-22, especially if mental health interests you.. though it's probably either love or hate!

I've read three out of four of those, so I'm off to a good start lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    Not medical, but a very good book that you might like is Girl, Interrupted by Sylvia Plath.
    Bell Jar = Plath
    Girl Interrupted = Susanna Kaysen

ReputationRep:
    snap (sorry, couldn't resist)

ReputationRep:
    interviews arent really that long and neither are PS's tbh, how on earth are you going to find the time to give a detailed analysis on anything written by Plath and still have enough time to talk about you work experience and those usual questions like why do you want to study Medicine and why here.
    But I suppose its an extra curricular thing and is a stark contrast to the usual

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there's no harm in talking about literature which isn't medical - it shows you have a broad range of interests which is desirable in a medical student. I always think people who bring up medical-related texts seem like they are just trying to say the answers they think the interviewers want to hear and not what they truly think. It's more genuine to talk about what you really enjoy to read.

Having said that, if you want to read a bit about what it's really like to be a doctor you should read "Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor" by Max Pemberton - a very entertaining read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Bell Jar = Plath
    Girl Interrupted = Susanna Kaysen
    Oops.

(Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Not really a medical book, more nursing but its something really interesting about the history of healthcare

Florence nighingales: notes on nursing.

Really good if you like history etc, got some good things in there like "never speak to a patient when moving them" "Bad bedding= feverishness" Good for anyone interested in healthcare i think
    Florence Nightingale - a woman that was actually a surprisingly bad nurse, and was racked with guilt when she realised it.

ReputationRep:
    depends which sort of medical books you're looking for...

For more case study style books, anything by oliver sacks (although that name probably gets mentioned too much..) or 'Into the Silent land' I though was really good - a bit like oliver sacks, but maybe more philosophical? Mostly about neuropsychology - very interesting..

Erm, more science books? I'd just browse on amazon for books in the specific field you're interested in and have a look at the reviews etc. I found 'A user's guide to the brain' that way, and another book which was quite thought-provoking called 'why we get sick'..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Florence Nightingale - a woman that was actually a surprisingly bad nurse, and was racked with guilt when she realised it.
    Shhhh...

ReputationRep:
    You might want to try some of Dawkins' books, but bear in mind that he is liable to 'go off on one', so you should read them with a pinch of salt.

And watch One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you're into. I got really interested in NHS Policy and Economics, so I read "NHS PLC" by Allyson Pollock (and I've also got "The Political Economy of Health Care" by Julian Tudor Hart). I also find the history of medicine quite interesting; "The Knife Man" by Wendy Moore was good and you can get it quite cheaply on Amazon - it's a biography of the 18th Century pioneering surgeon John Hunter. A visit to the Hunterian Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons in London accompanies the book nicely! Roy Porter's books are generally recommended for history also. I've also got a couple of books on medical ethics: "The Value of Life" by John Harris and "Classic Cases in Medical Ethics" if that interests you. During my first year of wannabe-med-student-dreaming I read lots of medical memoirs, there's LOADS about and good for a bit of light reading.

But, 100% recommended, most of all, the book that you MUST read is "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre. An awesome book about how journalists are the scum of the earth - when they're not bothering to report medical stories accurately, they're just making them up.

PS. Just remembered you said you were into psychology - you could try Richard Bentall's "Madness Explained," it's about schizophrenia. Also "The Loss of Sadness: How psychiatry transformed normal sorrow into depressive disorder by Allan V. Horwitz and Jerome C. Wakefield" is a fantastic book about why they believe depression is over-diagnosed, and it also contains some great critiques of recent depression research. It's written in a way accessible to non-psychologists, and I really suggest you read it as it's very relevent to current mental health issues (and their politics!). I'm considering buying my own copy for posterity instead of attempting to steal the library copy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    What?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LatinMachine)
    A visit to the Hunterian Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons in London accompanies the book nicely!
    That is a brilliant place to go to. And the tour they do every week is particularly good.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody Nowhere- Donna Williams. An autobiography by a girl with autism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzyyazzy6)
    Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has got any good book recommendations for me. I'm a prospective medical student who also loves reading. I read so much that I thought that I should start reading medical related literature, seeing as when i get to interview they won't appreciate me garbling on about how much I prefer Joyce's Portrait of Young man to Ulysses.

Has anyone got any favourites that they'd like to recommend? I'm not talking BMJ, New Scientist etc, but actually books. I'm really interested in medical sciences, and also the science behind mental illness in particular, though I'm really open to anything, my interests are vast.

Thanks in advance.
    Sociology as Applied to Medicine by Graham Scambler

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.