Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how much funding do they need to fight the taliban!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    its been bugging me over the past few days i mean when i watched the news couple of days ago there's was an outcry that there isn't enough resources for the British armies to fight the Taliban i mean for crying out loud how much funding do you need to defeat them, Britain is the 5th biggest economy in the world and their fighting men who wear (longy) cloth around their waists and have weapons which is out of fashion to me its an embarrassment for the British for them to say this.... and another thing i think the Taliban resistant to the British in Helmand to me is totally hilarious i mean seriously its old men fighting against the British who are economically, militarily and sufficiently able to defeat them and yet the British still haven't and now you have soldiers dying everyday hell i would not be surprised if they cut the benefits to fund the army that will be a total embarrassment all over...........any thoughts welcome :yes: :yes:

ReputationRep:
    As with Northern Ireland, the solutions to the problems in Afghanistan and Pakistan - and the various Muslim countries in general, can never be military. It has to be political (incorporating economic, social and environmental). That's why Cowboy George got it wrong with his "Mission Accomplished" landing on that US aircraft carrier.

One of the things that reduced the attraction of the IRA was not just the peace process, but tackling the actual and perceived injustices carried out by UK authorities AND the economic growth in the Republic of Ireland which spilled through into the north.

As for who the Taleban are, it's not old men they are fighting. They are fighting a mixture of religious fanatics to conscripts/forced soldiers who are familiar with the terrain which is ideal for an insurgency.

Yes, we may have the nukes, bombs and planes, but although technologically advanced, are they suitable for the conflict that the troops find themselves in?

One solution might be to hand the more peaceful areas over to the UN so as to get troops from Muslim countries to do the peace-keeping and reconstruction. That may send a message to some in the less peaceful areas that if they stop fighting, NATO will pull out and will be replaced by troops from Muslim countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inaya_maryam)
    its been bugging me over the past few days i mean when i watched the news couple of days ago there's was an outcry that there isn't enough resources for the British armies to fight the Taliban i mean for crying out loud how much funding do you need to defeat them, Britain is the 5th biggest economy in the world and their fighting men who wear (longy) cloth around their waists and have weapons which is out of fashion to me its an embarrassment for the British for them to say this.... and another thing i think the Taliban resistant to the British in Helmand to me is totally hilarious i mean seriously its old men fighting against the British who are economically, militarily and sufficiently able to defeat them and yet the British still haven't and now you have soldiers dying everyday hell i would not be surprised if they cut the benefits to fund the army that will be a total embarrassment all over...........any thoughts welcome :yes: :yes:

Lol the AK47 - one of the most reliable weapons and most popular in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone knows (or should know) that the war-thing was never meant to be won but sustained. When these battle torn countries run dry of oil and resources, the U.S. will once again become hungry for conquest, and we (because of our alliance with them) will get behind them and support them. And if it doesn't sit right with the voters and the populace we'll simply use whatever means of propaganda and we might even tell one or two porkies or sex-up one or two dossiers, perhaps create some fracas in parliament to distract the populace.

Besides, this war with the Taliban is merely a continuation of the Gulf war.

The policies of the U.S. , since the end of the Cold War are complicated and vast. They involve an intent to dominate and the use of international organizations to advance U.S. economic and geopolitical interests. They also include the conversion of NATO into a surrogate military police force for globalization and U.S. world economic domination.-Ramsey Clark

ReputationRep:
    You do know that both sides don't meet in a big field for a fight anymore right?

Yes, they may be wearing wierd clothes and use 'out of fashion' guns (The AK-47, as the guy a few posts above says, is an amazing close range gun that is virtually impossible to break in combat) but that isnt the problem. How do you identify a terrorist from an innocent civilian in house to house fighting? The truth is you can't and you can't just go in killing everyone that looks a terrorist. No amount of Helicopters/Tanks/Guns/Men put into combat can help to solve problems like this. There are more problems, but this is the first one that came to mind.

It's also purely dictated by politics, so...

ReputationRep:
    The taliban are dedicated, well-motivated and in their own element. They're surprisingly adept at Guerilla warfare, most of them are trained in basic CIA insurgency tactics. And the Kalashnikov is a robust, sturdy weapon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Everyone knows (or should know) that the war-thing was never meant to be won but sustained. When these battle torn countries run dry of oil and resources, the U.S. will once again become hungry for conquest, and we (because of our alliance with them) will get behind them and support them. And if it doesn't sit right with the voters and the populace we'll simply use whatever means of propaganda and we might even tell one or two porkies or sex-up one or two dossiers, perhaps create some fracas in parliament to distract the populace.

Besides, this war with the Taliban is merely a continuation of the Gulf war.

The policies of the U.S. , since the end of the Cold War are complicated and vast. They involve an intent to dominate and the use of international organizations to advance U.S. economic and geopolitical interests. They also include the conversion of NATO into a surrogate military police force for globalization and U.S. world economic domination.-Ramsey Clark

Exactly.

The majority of the public aren't even aware Afghanistan has a pre-2001 history. The majority of the public bellieve that the Taliban is evil and thats that. The majority of the public believe that Bin Laden attacked the twin towers because he hates our freedom of speech and low morals.

This is all Government propaganda. It only takes a momentary glance into the history of that nation and the region in which it lies to realise what is really going on, that our Governments bought Islamic terrorism upon us, and that our Governments are now using Islamic terrorism as an excuse to occupy and exploit foreign nations and also to restrict and remove the individual liberties of it's own citizens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inaya_maryam)
    The problem is that this government of mong's has takn great delight is cutting the defence budget over and over to the point where the Army is unable to properly sustain itself in peace time yet alone in multiple combat zones.

There is also the problem that in order to win this war, you need to dominate the ground, again Labour have refused to send the men needed out there bcause of the bad publicity. Plus soldiers are paid more when on operations = more money.

So yes, bye bye benefits, hello deserving.

ReputationRep:
    ''Taliban are tough like rock, British soldier soft like pussy.'' - Afghan soldier

ReputationRep:
    1) They are not just fighting the taliban, the same as in Iraq they were not just fighting alqueida. There are groups in Afghanistan who are fighting both the british and the taliban, there are national liberation fighters who want the imperialists out of Afghanistan but also dont want the repression of the taliban regieme.

2) They have enough funding to fight a war, the problem comes down to one of the social consiquences of war in a capitalist society.

If you watched the programme on the BBC on Robespierre and the french revolution, Slavoy Zizek made a really good statement:

"In capitalistic societies, people want things without the bad consequences, they want chocolate without getting fat, they want war without casualties, and they want revolution without killing."
    (Paraphrased a bit..)

So how can you fight a war when the social consiquences of even one soldier dying is public outcry, you have to blame lack of resources, and a need for greater investment, this delights the private companies who provide britains military industrial complex, as they can make more profit. And that is the reason why we are at war in the first place, to create profit for private enterprise (War is Profit). When we went into Iraq, Bush said "We are bringing Democracry and the Market to the people of Iraq". The idea that democracy goes hand in hand with free market economics is ludicrous, what happened to self detirmination...

So we have a situation where 1) there is a war, 2) we dont want our soldiers dying. What should we do? Bring them home, and end imperialist wars!

ReputationRep:
    The British army is scared of the Afghan fighters. They need every advantage they can get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    The taliban are dedicated, well-motivated and in their own element. They're surprisingly adept at Guerilla warfare, most of them are trained in basic CIA insurgency tactics. And the Kalashnikov is a robust, sturdy weapon.
    Why does their adeptness surprise you?

ReputationRep:
    The British Army doesn't need more money to fight or to defeat the Taliban. They are already defeating the Taliban and inflicting a very high loss rate on the enemy. More money would, however, reduce the casualty rate from its already extremely low level. This isn't strictly 'necessary', but the public, or at least the media, no longer seem willing to accept losses in war.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.