Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone ever gone away for uni and then realised they're better off at home? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Heyyy

Well I have just finished my 2nd year at Manchester University doing Politics and really I have not enjoyed it so much. To sum up first year was awful - had to go into private halls and ended up flitting on my flatmates as they so awful, and my like of socialness/not being in normal halls like everyone else, not going out & meeting up culminated in me getting a bit depressed and going to the uni counselling service and it all ending up rather bad. But I managed to get onto 2nd year, yet not going to so many lectures/tutorials as I did (for a variety of reasons) I didn't get to meet many people really, let alone make friends with any, so I went into 'normal' for 2nd year.

I got placed into a portion of the hall that was for returning students, and what I hadn't realised was that those students who do go into halls again, usually just don't go back into the cheapest one! (Which is what I had applied for) And so I was put in a flat of 4th years - either in the 4th year of their degree, or doing a 4th year that was a masters(?!) as one engineering guy was doing. Which again didn't lead to great sociality - and especially that when they did go out, they went out with their mates and not little old me :[ I did meet some people in the indie society, but that disbanded after christmas and people started to realise that the friendships seemed pretty situational and I don't think really any people are still in more than just facebook contact.

So I then (haha) got transferred to a new flat in mid-february and they were awesome, a nice halfwayhouse between going out all the time and playing card games in the kitchen :] But they were very self-contained and didn't really mingle with the other flats in the block, for about the first month or so I was saying hi to random people as they were leaving and I think they thought I was visting someone But because I moved to this flat so late (thanks accommodation office..) the people I would then meet, or indeed my flat, all had sorted their houses and stuff by then. So I ended up meeting no-one to get a house with, and was searching around estate agents and stuff and the people who did have houses all seemed to be PhD/postgrad students (maybe not scene at this moment in time), or people where it did seem kinda obvious why there was a person who had "dropped out" (the phrase that was used loads). So with my previous experiences I reaised it was never a good thing to 'settle' when it comes to who you're going to live with for a whole year, so I just hoped something would work out. But it's now nearly the end of July, no house (and missed the halls deadline in February because when I was all *much excite* over moving to an actual decent flat and meeting people I didn't realise that by the time I'd met and got to know people, they would have already sorted out houses), and found out a few days ago I'd failed 3 exams and have to resit. I guess this convoluted story is me doubting whether Manchester has been terribly good to me. I've always wondered how uni would have been if I'd gone to e.g. Newcastle/Durham (i.e. local to me). Anyone here on TSR gone to uni farther afield somewhere and realised they're better off at home/somewhere else, or any other experiences? This is a bit of a late-night badly typed ramble haha. :redface:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tymbnuip)
    Anyone? =/
    Uni is overrated. It's an awful lot of hassle and one gets very little space to oneself. It's enough hassle growing up to find that uni is just as much of a pain in the arse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    Uni is overrated. It's an awful lot of hassle and one gets very little space to oneself. It's enough hassle growing up to find that uni is just as much of a pain in the arse.
    Uni is what you make of it. If you are an unsociable ass or a shy introvert then chances are you aren't going to make any friends and will end up lonely and bored most of the time.

There is an element of luck involved when it comes to your first year flatmates but tbh you should still be able to make friends through your course and societies if they suck.

I can see the OP has struggled and i do have some sympathy for them, but ultimately you have to go out and make friends for yourself, it's not down to the uni or other people to do it for you.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read all of that But yeah, I went to uni last September and absolutely hated it. I hated my halls and felt like I had less freedom there than I did at home, hence why I left and am starting a new course in September and living at home

ReputationRep:
    I hate most of my uni but there is a lot i do like, i like being in the union because i meet all the girls . i like meeting new people and there are some parts of my course i do enjoy. But at the end of it all, it's only 3 years of my life and at the end of it i'll have a degree which will get me a job and (hopefully) rich. But if you really don't enjoy the course or subject at all then don't bother, find something you are interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    Surley it depends what uni you go to?
    Manchester is extremely busy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    Surley it depends what uni you go to?
    Manchester is extremely busy.
    I just find it busy to the point that it becomes extremely anonymous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tymbnuip)
    I just find it busy to the point that it becomes extremely anonymous.
    Go to a campus university then :yes: I much prefer small towns/campus unis to large cities like London and Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    I wish id stayed at home to be honest. I could have saved myself £4,000 a year in accommodation costs and much more on living expenses. Add that up over 3 years and thats a whole lot of debt that no amount of fun is worth.

ReputationRep:
    I guess this convoluted story is me doubting whether Manchester has been terribly good to me.
    Why exactly? reading your original post - it seems like they have been ok to you, like getting you into different accomadations and offering counselling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)
    I wish id stayed at home to be honest. I could have saved myself £4,000 a year in accommodation costs and much more on living expenses. Add that up over 3 years and thats a whole lot of debt that no amount of fun is worth.
    I'm sorry to enjoy your regrets - but when I read posts like these I think to myself, "living at home wont be so bad after all"

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, there are so many people on these forums that have wasted their time at university when it comes to their social life. It's depressing.

Though i guess you would expect there to be a disproportionate amount of those people on an internet forum.

ReputationRep:
    I went to uni about 250/300 miles from where I live, and my flatmates were pretty awful, but I made a lot of friends on my course and through societies, and a few through other people I think you've just been unlucky... try just getting a spare room, some people ask for a 'lively' flatmate, and those people are generally very friendly

ReputationRep:
    my god i cant think anything worse of living at home, how sick would your parents be of you coming in at 3am a few nights a week, and you'de hardly make any friends.
    on the other hand i do think its very hard work making friends, people wont always contact you to arrange something, you've got to always make the effort to stay 'in the loop' or else you'll find yourself getting excluded. i think if you put the effort in eventually you'll get a return on the friendships.

ReputationRep:
    Your experience sounds just like mine.
    I started Manchester University in september and have just finished my first year. I too was put in private halls (Uni had rented them out) which were very unsociable, no bar/common space, all in self-contained flats. I made no friends and became every depressed.

For me I think it's not so much a case of moving away being bad but just that perhaps Manchester wasn't right for me, I've left and am transferring (even further away!)
    It sounds like your circumstances were just rubbish, you didn't have much of a chance and with a city like Manchester it's very easy to get lost and friendless.

Sorry, this wasn't any help! I guess I just want to say you're not alone.

Take care and good luck with whatever you do ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowrax)
    Your experience sounds just like mine.
    I started Manchester University in september and have just finished my first year. I too was put in private halls (Uni had rented them out) which were very unsociable, no bar/common space, all in self-contained flats. I made no friends and became every depressed.

For me I think it's not so much a case of moving away being bad but just that perhaps Manchester wasn't right for me, I've left and am transferring (even further away!)
    It sounds like your circumstances were just rubbish, you didn't have much of a chance and with a city like Manchester it's very easy to get lost and friendless.

Sorry, this wasn't any help! I guess I just want to say you're not alone.

Take care and good luck with whatever you do ^_^
    Ooh!! (said in an inquisitve way, not in a yay way :p:) Where are you transferring to then? I dunno what degree you were doing but I was doing one that had 1000 students doing it (the "BA Econ", the biggest degree course in the country) and it was sooo hard to make friends, especially when your accom situation was so crap.

ReputationRep:
    I was studying English Literature, quite big but I've no idea quite how big! everyone there seemed to be friends from halls
    I'm moving to Belfast! I know, quite far but I'm friends with someone there and it looks brilliant, I'm feeling more optimistic than before so here's to hoping things go better!
    And for you too

ReputationRep:
    I think you just need to keep trying in terms of social life. It's never too late to meet people. I was the similar in first year. I made friends but we weren't that close and I didn't have a great time in my flat. So I told myself last year that I'd crack on and go out and meet people and keep trying, and I'm doing ok. I think if you stay at home you might think it's more beneficial because you feel better, but in the long run you're cut off from a lot of experiences. I treat everything as a learning curve even if it sucks.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.