Turn on thread page Beta

The british accent: done wrong.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    That is truly awful.
    Nobody pronounces barbie as bobby, for god's sake!

ReputationRep:
    I watched another video and she pronounces again 'ah-gayn'. I say it 'ag-en' and she also said been as 'beeeeeeeeeen', i say it I have 'bin' :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    She's saying 'Bobby' not Barbie. But we still don't even say it like that.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, i have totally just realised I talk like an american :emo: have you seen the TT one? I say everything in the american way noooo

Thing is, she does actually do a lot of it correctly, presuming you're from the south, but she puts extra pronounciation on everything so it just sounds weird.

ReputationRep:
    It's like she made it up on the spot.

Oh God it gets worse in the other videos.

In regards to bad accents on television - with the exception of the character Daphne Moon (seeing as the actress is actually British), the 'British' accents on Frasier are terrible. In one episode, a guy playing Daphne's brother had a Cockney accent, but he was meant to be from Manchester! :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Qoo...eature=channel

ReputationRep:
    "If the word ends in a "ee" sound"- it should be "an ee sound", retard lady. If you can't even speak English in your own accent, no one should be listening to you.

I can tolerate bad accents normally, since I've become immune to them, I guess. But when you're teaching the accent, there's no excuse!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    That's hilarious! The dorg was lorst in the forg.

Notice how she puts her eyebrows up and wrinkles her forehead when speaking American, and then does the opposite and almost frowns when speaking 'English' :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)
    That football hooligan film with elijah wood has a pretty shocking example of a terrible accent in.
    I think its called green street?

One of the guys in that trying to do a cockney accent, My god. Its like an australian/cockney/newcastle hybrid. I dont even know where hes actually from, but its terrible.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePdDZ...CD0C24&index=3

The one in the cream jacket. Thats not even the best example of how terrible it is, but its all I could find.
    That was the first one that sprang to mind. I love that film, but his accents ****. First time i heard it i was like "WTF?!". I think he's american by the way. =]

ReputationRep:
    I felt embarrassed for her.

What annoyed me the most is that in one of the videos she said that we changed the sounding of a few words. No *****, YOU (and the rest of America) changed them.

ReputationRep:
    Is it THAT bad?
    I feel like I'll be in big trouble when I go to the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched the video, what the hell! Who speaks like that? haha

coffee is the funniest!

ReputationRep:
    Is it wrong I want her to get mugged by Mary Poppins. Silly bint.

ReputationRep:
    Why do Americans even bother trying to change their accent to conform to our way of saying things? Your going to sound like a tool if you try to put on a British accent when you'e American. Besides if people know you'e American then people won't mind if you talk like an American. I know I wouldn't even attempt to change my accent if I moved to the United States.

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Koffeh :p:

ReputationRep:
    lmao this is hilarious

ReputationRep:
    This is even worse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA6pI...ature=channel4
    Mar-ih!

(Original post by scaryhair)
    This is even worse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA6pI...ature=channel4
    Mar-ih!
    :lolwut:

I have no words.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.