Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Universities to go to outside of the UK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As title suggests; which countries, preferably in europe, are the best to go to for university- but not in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    24 - ETH Zurich (Switzerland)
    28 - Ecole Normale Supérieure (France)
    34 - Ecole Polytechnique (France)
    48 - University of Copenhagen (Denmark)
    49 - Trinity College Dublin (Ireland)
    50 - Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (Switzerland)

These are the European universities in the Times Higher Education world ranking top 50.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    24 - ETH Zurich (Switzerland)
    28 - Ecole Normale Supérieure (France)
    34 - Ecole Polytechnique (France)
    48 - University of Copenhagen (Denmark)
    49 - Trinity College Dublin (Ireland)
    50 - Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (Switzerland)

These are the European universities in the Times Higher Education world ranking top 50.
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cor898)
    cheers
    Do rely on the THES, I'm told it's very reliable and completely unbiased.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder why there aren't many other European Universities on the list.

ReputationRep:
    A separate world ranking organised by a Chinese university has one less European university in the top 50, and the overall standard is lower. ETH Zurich is still ranked twenty-fourth but the other four universities are in the forties: 42 (Pierre and Marie Curie University), 45 (University of Copenhagen), 47 (Utrecht University) and 49 (Université Paris-Sud 11).

ReputationRep:
    how about HKU and NUS?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying at NUS and I'll advise that you come to NUS only if you can tolerate administrative inefficiency. Module registration is done through a hellish process over 3 weeks, meaning that one needs to stay in front of the computer at important times such as open bidding, closed bidding etc.

Various modules have different codes and are bid in different rounds. The students who are unaffected would probably have to be those in medicine, dentistry and law. Students from Business and Arts appear the most affected. In addition, administrative staff are unfamiliar with the bidding system. Ironically, this method of module allocation which is supposedly more efficient results in fiascos where students are unable to register for sufficient modules for the semester. As such, the new school term usually starts on a bad note.

Do reconsider studying at NUS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johan C)
    Do rely on the THES, I'm told it's very reliable and completely unbiased.
    I do assuem you're beeing sarcastic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    I do assuem you're beeing sarcastic
    Completely

ReputationRep:
    Best in what way?

Personally, going purely by these rankings are dangerous. Other factors such as location, international mixture, culture, etc are just as important.

ReputationRep:
    Swedish universities.

ReputationRep:
    there are loads of great universities outside the UK, and the US has the most of them. Schools like Harvard, Stanford, Yale, MIT, Berkeley, Princeton, Caltech, Columbia, Duke, among others, are certainly great universities with global recognition and respect. But of course, there are just as great in other countries, though of lesser prominence especially those in Europe due to the language barriers. Here are some unis that are worth mentioning when looking for a great university.

US: Ivy League schools, Berkeley, Caltech, Duke, Michigan, Northwestern, Chicago, Rice, Emory, Amherst, Williams, Sharthmore, Harvey Mudd, among others

Australia: Australian National University, U of Melbourne, U of Sydney, Monash, U of New South Wales, Curtain U of Technology, among others

Japan: U of Tokyo, U of Kyoto, Sophia, Waseda, Tohuko, Kioe, Tokyo Insitute of Tech, among others

China / Hong Kong: Peking, Fudan, Nanjing, Tsinghua, Shanghai Jiaotong, Beijing Normal, U of Hong Kong, Chinese U of HK, HK Baptist U, HKUST among others

the rest of Asia: Seoul National U, KAIST, National Taiwan U, Chulalongkorn (Thailand), National U of Singapore, Nanyang (Singapore), Singapore Management U, U of the Philippines, De La Salle U (Philippines), Ateneo de Manila, U of Malaya, U Putra Malaysia, U Sains Malaysia, among others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cor898)
    As title suggests; which countries, preferably in europe, are the best to go to for university- but not in the UK.
    Harvard
    Yale
    Stanford
    MIT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reynoldrooney)
    how about HKU and NUS?
    That is pretty funny.
    Neither would be one of the "Best Universities to go to outside of the UK"
    They are however, among the "Best Universities to go in or around China".:woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    ^ ignorant. NUS isn't even in China.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILIGAN)
    ^ ignorant. NUS isn't even in China.
    What do you fail to understand about "Best Universities to go in or around China". Singapore is pretty close to China geographically, linguistically and ethnically

ReputationRep:
    ^ Why, are you saying that a substantial number of students at NUS are from China? Where's your data?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILIGAN)
    ^ Why, are you saying that a substantial number of students at NUS are from China? Where's your data?
    Never been to Singapore ?
    Going to university in Singapore is virtually like going to university in a future, westernised version of China.
    That is why I said Singapore is pretty close to China geographically, linguistically and ethnically.

"Singapore is highly cosmopolitan and diverse with Chinese people forming an ethnic majority. Various Chinese linguistic groups form of 75.2% of Singapore's residents. Chinese, English, Malay and Tamil are the official languages

Having a majority Chinese population, Singapore unsurprisingly enjoys good relations with China and is one of only three countries whose citizens enjoy visa-free access to China. Many other examples of ties between Singapore and China is Singapore helping China to build up its industries and its industrial parks such as those in Sichuan Province, China.Singapore never established formal diplomatic relations with Taiwan. "

ReputationRep:
    dude, I spent my elementary days in Singapore that's why I found your post funny. Yes, there are a lot of Chinese-decent Singaporean, but they really aren't from China. Get the drift. And I would boldly say that Singapore unsurprisingly enjoys good relations with America and Australia.

Anyway, my point is NUS is a top-notched school and would be a great alternative for those who could not attend a university in the UK.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.