The Student Room Group

Why can't people accept harmless behaviours?

Ive just been reading a few threads on tsr and find it sad and narrowminded how a lot of people think less of people or dislike certain choices that people make, even though the person is not doing anyone any harm. Here are a few example of what Im talking about:

A lot of people think that others are strange/have a flaw for living with their parents most/all of their life. Why though because it might be someones preference to stay close to their family and just contribute to the income this happens in lots of traditions. So what if they are not as independant as someone with their own house? They might be a person with their own house might have a good support network of friends and be one of these people who won't go shopping or for a day out by themself. Someone living with parents might do everything by themself so is it really to do with personality strength or independance?

Another thing is when people class someone as odd or childish for enjoying something like kids music ( ie busted/ Jonas brothers) or keeping hamsters as pets in an habitrail mansion lol. Ive heard people bitching about others for these types of things but whats wrong with partly maintaining your youth/childhood and getting excited about things that others don't get excited about anymore? The only thing to be excited about in adulthood is usually sex, drinking and holidays so why not maintain a childish streak?

I know someone who calls an old woman for wearing one of those teenage headscarfs (cant remember what they are called) asking 'why the hell is she wearing that at her age?' but she is not harming anyone so why not? Another person thinks that people who own dogs are daft because dogs are just 'brainless sh**machines'.

I just don't know why people have such strong opinions about things that are unusual to them:confused:
People often express stronger opinions on the internet, but it's just very human to be unempathetic towards any given situation that they object to. Just like it is for people to ignore what you are saying, however rational and important to you it may be.

"And, almost, see the apparatus inside them take the words I just said and try to fit the words in here and there, this place and that, and when they find the words don't have any place ready-made where they'll fit, the machinery disposes the words like they weren't even spoken."
Reply 2
There is something weird about adults who live with thier parents for some reason :dontknow:
Reply 3
People just aren't secure enough to live how they want so they mock others for it.
Reply 4
In short, because some people are complete *******.
Reply 5
Its just the age old assumption that becasue something works best for you, that's what should work best for everyone else. So such comments are either a selfless encouragement to try something which someone genuinely thinks will improve the person's life, or more likely its just a shallow human obsession with mocking anything that's different so the narrowminded can feel superior.
Reply 6
I always try not to judge til i feel i know enough details. Unfortunately alot of people like judging straight away.

Latest

Trending

Trending