Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gt94sss2)
    Having said that many existing civil servants go through the external route (including some existing Fast streamers) as they either want to change department or couldn't get shortlisted by their own for some reason.
    Going further from this - if an existing civil servant DID go through the internal route and worked the term of their fast stream in their home department, does this generally mean that their life after the fast stream would remain in that home department? Or is it possible to then switch?

Random example - a MOJ civil servant who has spent their four years in the fast stream at that department - at the end of that time, they wanted to move to the FCO in a similar role - would this be advisable? Is it common?

I don't work for the civil service (yet I'm currently applying for several AO and EO roles) but am just curious of the various fast stream options and their flexibility in later life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katezinha)
    Going further from this - if an existing civil servant DID go through the internal route and worked the term of their fast stream in their home department, does this generally mean that their life after the fast stream would remain in that home department? Or is it possible to then switch?

Random example - a MOJ civil servant who has spent their four years in the fast stream at that department - at the end of that time, they wanted to move to the FCO in a similar role - would this be advisable? Is it common?

I don't work for the civil service (yet I'm currently applying for several AO and EO roles) but am just curious of the various fast stream options and their flexibility in later life.
    There aren't any restrictions. However, most depts advertise internally before externally. That means the jobs in your dept are more avaliable to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katezinha)

One of my former workmates moved sideways from a regional office into the FCO. It can be done internally but it is competitive.

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks. Can anyone advise on the kind of work/roles that go under the EO banner?
    I was amber-banded for the FSAC but didn't make the final cut. Now I'm looking at EO roles, but I'm not entirely sure what that level means. For example I applied for a DWP EO role recently, but the job blurb included 2 job titles - decision makers and team leaders. Would both these be EO level?

ReputationRep:
    yes both are EO roles.

Decision making is pretty much what it says on the tin you'll look at claim packs for whichever benefit and gather evidence before ultimately deciding on entitlement.

The team leader role will involve line managing a team of AAs or AOs (they will do the registration of cases, chasing up of reports and various admin tasks)

In terms of building your competencies it would be good to do a bit of both if you get in; the decision maker role obviously has you analysing evidence and realistically managing your own workload whereas the team leader role will develop your line management skills and throw up more varied problems for you.

ReputationRep:
    http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/job/99345...ation-officer/ is an interesting starting job for college/university leavers if you're in the Cambridge area...

ReputationRep:
    I think people have to be wary of the perception that it is 'easier' to get on to FS via the in service route. Perhaps for those who were near misses at FSAC there is a pretty good chance of making it through to FSAC internally (and a better chance of passing second time round) but for those sifted out at earlier statges, it is far from guaranteed that your department will nominate you.

Being a graduate does not in itself make you a shoo in to go through to FSAC - you will have to be really impressing your line management in the post you are in, and most department also have quite rigorous selection procedures before FSAC stage. You will also be competing with existing staff who have degrees but have never previously applied for FS, and with non graduates who perform very well in their posts. Both categories can and do contain excellent candidates who may be as capable as you, if not more so.

That said, there are lots of interesting and fulfilling jobs out with FS, and most departments have established carrer progression procedures. Not everybody is suited to rapid progression, but people who start as admin assistants can still progress to quite senior levels, it might just take them 10 or 20 years instead of 3-6 on FS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.