Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Having my braces adjusted for the first time tomorrow.
    What to expect/ how to prepare? :p:

ReputationRep:
    The process itself is fairly dull - they just spend about a minute fiddling with them.

The pain might kick in about an hour afterwards. It's not too bad, nothing you haven't already felt.

ReputationRep:
    Depends, sometimes it killed and my teeth were so sensitive, others it just throbbed, have fun!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    Depends, sometimes it killed and my teeth were so sensitive, others it just throbbed, have fun!!
    Yes...fun...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not gonna lie, i found it pretty painful, but not AS painful as having my braces on, i was literally sucking on ice for 2 days and couldn't even eat a sandwich - i was pretty pathethic! Then again it all depends on the person and how sensitive your teeth are and how much first havin the braces on hurt?

The process of having them adjusted is fine, takes minutes. At the end of the day, i looked at it like this, yeah its gonna hurt, but no pain no gain? i've got my top one of now and tbh i'd like to have it back on... as its nice having the security knowing that ur teeth are improving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staceford)
    I'm not gonna lie, i found it pretty painful, but not AS painful as having my braces on, i was literally sucking on ice for 2 days and couldn't even eat a sandwich - i was pretty pathethic! Then again it all depends on the person and how sensitive your teeth are and how much first havin the braces on hurt?

The process of having them adjusted is fine, takes minutes. At the end of the day, i looked at it like this, yeah its gonna hurt, but no pain no gain? i've got my top one of now and tbh i'd like to have it back on... as its nice having the security knowing that ur teeth are improving
    Hm well if it's come off, that means that they're perfect now :p:
    Oh dear, mine hurt loads too when I had them in, couldn't eat anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    Yes...fun...:rolleyes:
    I'd say milk a day of school from it, but yeah, summer holidays! Don't worry it will be all good, hurts more on your first time I think.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I'm getting mine tightened in a couple of weeks for the first time! My orthodontist said, at the fitting appointment, "The worst of the pain will be over in the next few days, the adjustments will be a walk in the park." I'm trusting him on this one :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I had it done, and I now have lilac elastics too
    Took two ibuprofen before going, and not had any pain whatsoever- it's been about 3 hours now.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.