Turn on thread page Beta

Godson nearly got run over (our fault) watch

Announcements

Ok I was with a friend yesterday (shes 22 Im 23) who has a 3 year old son (Im his godmother actually) and we were walking down the street with him to the shop. She was letting him just walk by himself a few yards in front of us but further up was a busy main road but I just assumed she had him under control.

Anyway he was running off towards this road and we were both shouting him name he would just stop, turn back and look at us then carry on running. I then suddenly realised that he was at a point where it would be hard to catch up with him before he ran in the road so I started running after him shouting his name but he started to run faster thinking it was a game and that I was chasing him I didn't think I would be able to catch him in time so thought the best thing to do would be to stop so that hopefully he would stop running but my friend went speeding past me and caught him just in time he was on the road though and cars beeped their horns at us.

Ive felt a bit guilty since not only because we let him wonder off to far but also for not carrying on chasing him as Im a faster runner than my friend but at the time I thought it was best to stop. My friend probably thinks im an idiot cause she asked me why I stopped chasing him but yea we are both to blame.

Im just curious though what would you have done? (if you were daft enough to let him get too far ahead lol) Also if anything had happened to him would we both have been charged with something like manslaughter?

ReputationRep:
    Forget about it, nothing happened - think of it as a lesson learned.

I would've ran like hell and grabbed the cheeky little sod.

ReputationRep:
    The moral of that story is keep your kids close. Or get some of those little reins/harnesses so you can keep hold of them until they learn that roads are dangerous :p:

I feel sorry for my kids, I'll be one of these totally neurotic mothers who won't let them out of arms reach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_Hunter)
    Cool story, bro
    STFU!!! Hate that line.

OP just remember next time to keep him very close, and don't let him free near major roads. Especially when it's not your kid

ReputationRep:
    Ah I used to do that all the time when I was a kid! May I recommend reigns? Ok, the kid will look like it's a dog on a leash for a walk, but at least he won't get squished

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    The moral of that story is keep your kids close. Or get some of those little reins/harnesses so you can keep hold of them until they learn that roads are dangerous :p:

I feel sorry for my kids, I'll be one of these totally neurotic mothers who won't let them out of arms reach.
    Ditto :p:

OP, he's not your kid. The mother is the one who should be looking out for him primarily, and you did stop because you thought you were helping the situation. Don't worry about it, especially as nothing happened - but like someone else said just see it as a lesson learnt and make sure they're never too far away.
    The harnessy things are good. Looks like your torturing the kid but if it stops them running out in the road and stuff, it's worth it. I know I had one when I was little - I don't remember liking it, but I'm also not run over. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Take it as a lesson learnt , just forget about it , but makes sure next time you keep them close

ReputationRep:
    Well luckily nothing bad happend, just try and forget about it, you did what you thought was right at the time so you cant really question your actions as much now as it is over and nothing bad became of them.

Take it as a education is kids

ReputationRep:
    In all fairness OP he isn't your child you aren't responsible for him and you dont know exactly how much control his mother has over him. If something had of happened then it would have been an accident but an accident that could easily have been avoided, hopefully his mother has taken away a lesson from this like you have

ReputationRep:
    I think your friend is very irresponsible. I remember when I used to go out with my little 5 year old sister, God rest her soul, I would hold her hand extremely tightly all the time. She would be squirming and trying to walk alone, but kids are kids. They don't understand enough to know the wait for you when you're approaching a big road, they get so carried away having fun. And what if they run out of sight for a moment and somebody grabs them? Or they trip and hit their head on the sidewalk. It's just too risky.

ReputationRep:
    The only solution

ReputationRep:
    Grab them as soon as they are over a meter away

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you are to blame, his mother was actually there. If you were alone with him then you need to be fully responsible for what happens. When the parent is present that isn't your responsibility, you made an assumption that he would stop if you stopped because he was playing a game. To me that is a perfectly reasonable thing to think, besides the mother will know her child the best. It is really scary when kids to this, your friend was probably angry because she was so scared. Try not to dwell on it, sometimes children wont learn until they have a little scare. We still have to tell my partner's children about road safety and they are 5 and 7.

ReputationRep:
    Epic Parenting Fail

ReputationRep:
    Not your child, not your responsibily (unless you are the one in charge because his parent(s) are not there/near by).

The responsibility rests with the parent(s).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)

Same here - I'm always tutting loudly when I'm out saying, 'Look, that woman's not paying any attention at all to her little kid, someone could steal him just like that!' I'm gonna make my kids hold my hand at all times and not let them out of my sight haha! :p: Those harness things scare me though...for one I remember the annoyance as a little kid of them yanking you back and for two there's the horror scenario of the reins getting stuck in a lift/escalator...

Anyway, his mum was very irresponsible. She should have been holding his hand near a road and certainly not letting him get so far in front of you. I understand that maybe you didn't feel you could say anything to her, people get (unreasonably) angsty if you give advice to them about their kids, but it was obviously a very unsafe situation so, in future, always step in and stop a small child from walking away on his own.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you're really worried about it shows that you have the right attitude. It wasn't your fault, just keep a close eye on them in future! As for the legal side, you could have been charged but I think it's more likely it would have been declared accidental. Anyway, fortunately for you, it never got that far.

ReputationRep:
    OP its not your fault. The mother is responsible and should have kept him close by or on reigns. A 3 year old shouldnt be free to run off like that.

ReputationRep:
    You know I bet this has happened loads of times with people I wonder how many kids have died because of running off into roads.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    The fact that he was far enough way to need running to is a bad thing. His mother should know better than to let him get that far ahead.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.