Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Make sure you give him a stern talking too, and tell him why he shouldn't do that.

I don't blame you for not running anymore because it could have just made him run faster. Just shout like stop now or we wont *do something fun* or whatever! I think chasing kids around should be a last resort. But mayb it was.

I would have ran as fast as I could to catch him!

Your friend should start teaching him the dangers of the road, do the whole 'stop, listen, look' routine at EVERY single road and he will do that too. She can start to give him boundaries of how far he can run, like teach him to stop at every road or just give him a shout to stop and run back when he gets a certain distance. Or she could promise (and actually do it) to take him to the park (or do something he likes) afterwards where he can run as much as he wants, then if he does run off too far too many times or not listen when she shouts to stop he won't get to go to the park. He will learn eventually.

A 3 year old is too old for reins and using them is a backward step. He doesn't need babying he needs to learn how to use the road correctly which a 3 year old will be quite capable of doing.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.